Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Akira [Genesis/SNES] Proto Footage

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Default Akira [Genesis/SNES] Proto Footage

Saw this and thought some of you guys might want to see it. If it's already been posted before, my apologies, I can't find anything on it through the search feature. Sadly no ROM image has been found.

Animated intro and gameplay from all the different planned sections of the cancelled Akira 16bit game (Super Nintendo, Genesis / Mega Drive, etc.), footage cut from the full CES 1994 video by PS Nation

More info here: https://www.unseen64.net/2010/03/24/...es-unreleased/

All credit goes to Unseen64 and all respected parties. I claim no credit.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 06-08-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I'm both massively impressed and disappointed in equal measure. Thanks for sharing!

Every level seems to be its own genre I swear.

Also I suppose this is a Sega CD version? Because the platforms mentioned seem to list Sega twice (so I guess it could be a cartridge and a CD version) and this thing looks filled with cutscenes, and some of the parts really look like they're meant to be using scaling (the bike part at the beginning is awfully blatant at this, since the other bike doesn't change size at all, which sounds like it's meant to be using scaling from the game rather than prerendered sprites, and they hadn't gotten around that yet).

I find this very impressive. I wonder what chance there is of the game appearing somewhere. I hope someone has a copy, but I won't get my hopes up.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Every level seems to be its own genre I swear.

Also I suppose this is a Sega CD version? Because the platforms mentioned seem to list Sega twice (so I guess it could be a cartridge and a CD version) and this thing looks filled with cutscenes, and some of the parts really look like they're meant to be using scaling (the bike part at the beginning is awfully blatant at this, since the other bike doesn't change size at all, which sounds like it's meant to be using scaling from the game rather than prerendered sprites, and they hadn't gotten around that yet).
    The game was due to released on the Mega Drive, Mega CD, Game Gear, SNES and 32X; at least according to Unseen64. I think you're right about this being Sega CD footage though.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Weird as fuck looking game, its some parts terrible and other parts scream "this might have been cool!"

I would have been happy with a SOR2 Akira reskin to be honest.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

definitely the Sega CD version of the game! Way too many frames of animation to be on a cart! Some pretty impressive effects in there too and I love all the different genres! It's a shame this never made the light of day

WCPO Agent

I don't think we lost anything great...

Pretty hard to tell when this was obviously so early that probably most stages weren't even properly started to be designed. The massive genre mess probably means it wouldn't have came out great though, too many different things to focus on.

Raging in the Streets

If you guys need your Akira fix, there is an absolutely horrendous Akira game on the Amiga. You're welcome.

Thanks god that this game was canceled!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Pretty hard to tell when this was obviously so early that probably most stages weren't even properly started to be designed. The massive genre mess probably means it wouldn't have came out great though, too many different things to focus on.
    I don't know man, I think it looks great. Makes me think of Dynamite Headdy (2d side scroller, horizontal airplane shootemup) and Toy Story (2d side scroller+pseudo fps).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Actually looks like it had quite a bit of potential. The different styles of gameplay don't look chaotic; looks more like Persona (isometric top view for most places, and first person perspective in dungeons, etc) than it does Megaman X7 (I think that's the one where every stage was just different but for no real reason).

Granted there's still a lot missing from the game (so it could've still been bad), but I could see this working with the right finishing touches.
    W E L C O
    M E T O T
    H E N E X
    TL E V E L

wibble wibble mushroom Wildside Expert nemesis enforcer's Avatar

I'm a big fan of the movie, but I don't like the look of this. It seems all over the place. It would have worked if they had done it Snatcher style, but with Akira artwork. Or maybe a run and gun with bike scenes in between, but judging by these early shots I don't think we missed a classic here.

I was never a fan of the movie, but there's some parts of this video that make me want to play the game, and some parts that look no fun at all. I think it would be interesting to see a more complete version if such a thing exists. If this is a CD game then its good to see something that isn't just another FMV game

Thread Information