Quantcast

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect Andromeda

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    Eh... they aren't fashion models, and the first games had their share of sketchy looking female models as well.

The Andromeda models I've seen honestly don't look terrible because they are not depicting attractive women... they look bad because they just look screwed up.

It's like they are all based off the same model and no one bothered to change them that much. Add in the goofy animations, poor lighting, and the lifeless stare all just equate to a shitshow (without even touching the bugs and other glitches).

Like you could adjust any of the characters I've seen so far to look pretty decent with only a few minor tweaks, and many of them have to do with the completely screwy eyes all of them have.

The idiot commenting about white people tears and crap may certainly be an moron, but he's only one person among many. Given the massive issues this game has, including what's above, I doubt this was a "SJW" conspiracy... it's just a poorly done game in a major franchise that doesn't deserve the new sticker price it goes for.
    ^I agree. Like I mentioned above, one single racist dude did not sell me on the whole "SJW conspiracy". But after reading some articles and watching some reviews, there is more than just that one a-hole to blame for all the pandering that has been plaguing BioWare for quite some time, all the way up to, and including, this game. Like I said, I hope the emphasis is on gameplay; but, without fully retracting that last statement, I'd go as far as adding that this is an RPG, after all. Part of the experience involves connecting to those characters. I may have tried to make light of it with some jokes; but I'm not merely complaining that this game is full of "fugly" female characters. My biggest issue in regards to character design is that one cannot escape the pandering dicotomy of both sexes that is portrayed in this game. If SJWs find the beautifully-portrayed women of, say, the OG ME series or The Witcher 3 offensive, then I find it equally repugnant for the devs to so transparently pander to said SJWs in ME:A.

TBH, I had a mind to go to the store tomorrow and picking this game-up. Now, thanks to having visited this thread, I think I'll pass. If that's not saying something, then here is an article of many more who have decided to cancel their pre-orders as well based on all the issues already stated:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...les-lead-cance

To quote said article:
    Note to Bioware / EA: gamers don't buy role playing games to be in the friendzone. They buy them to engage in fantasy. That 200lb neckbearded troll in the corner of Starbucks may look disgusting, nipples protruding - but in the virtual world he's a tanned and chiseled hero, decelerating from trans-dimensional warp strapped into his Faster Than Light space steed - on a mission to save a big breasted damsel in distress, who will reward his gallantry with mass quantities of intercourse. Nobody wants Pepperidge-farm stuffing androgynous bitches in their virtual world.

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

They would be considered beautiful woman for someone living in Iowa.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    ^I agree. Like I mentioned above, one single racist dude did not sell me on the whole "SJW conspiracy". But after reading some articles and watching some reviews, there is more than just that one a-hole to blame for all the pandering that has been plaguing BioWare for quite some time, all the way up to, and including, this game. Like I said, I hope the emphasis is on gameplay; but, without fully retracting that last statement, I'd go as far as adding that this is an RPG, after all. Part of the experience involves connecting to those characters. I may have tried to make light of it with some jokes; but I'm not merely complaining that this game is full of "fugly" female characters. My biggest issue in regards to character design is that one cannot escape the pandering dicotomy of both sexes that is portrayed in this game. If SJWs find the beautifully-portrayed women of, say, the OG ME series or The Witcher 3 offensive, then I find it equally repugnant for the devs to so transparently pander to said SJWs in ME:A.

TBH, I had a mind to go to the store tomorrow and picking this game-up. Now, thanks to having visited this thread, I think I'll pass. If that's not saying something, then here is an article of many more who have decided to cancel their pre-orders as well based on all the issues already stated:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...les-lead-cance

To quote said article:
    I dearly wanted to be able to pick this up and love it.
    But I knew from the get go that this game was going to have a high chance of sucking.

The way the ending to ME:3 went down, the abandon ship of the people to whom the series was a work of passion... that left any further ME game in dire straits... and no one was apparently there to really fight for it. Game by committee is what ME:A screams, because they have all the data from ME1-3 and what people liked... so they had a nice paint by numbers picture of how to build a new ME game, combined with whatever other research and data they had.

It didn't have the same passion and drive to build and create something that the first 3 had... now, of course, someone could still pick the series up and make it their own, but Andromeda isn't that game. It'll be ok. I'm sure, much like DA:I I will pick it up and enjoy it well enough... maybe there will even be some really interesting parts to the story/game that will make it worthwhile.

But just based on what I've seen so far, I can guarantee it's not going to be ME:1 all over. It's playing too much by the books. They pulled it away for no reason other than to not have to get messy with the originals... but they haven't done anything else with it. There's no risk to tell someone's grand story, there's no clear vision laid out that takes the ME franchise to some new era.

I hoped for more, but expected about what it looks like we got.

This guy's theory is that there is no need for a "conspiracy theory" on making the female characters unnatractive to push a feminist or SJW agenda. He believes the SJW theory is like "trying to find an excuse for laziness" on behalf of the dev team. I'd have to agree for the most part. In line with my own conclusion, I still think this game is the result of mediocre artistry.

I'm going to have to say I agree for the most part. On the one hand, it is far too convenient for a $40 Million production not to want to make a profit. So, yes, they will indeed cut back in some areas to try and maximize profits. It can even be called lazy; as there are always imaginative and constructive ways to circumvent these roadblocks in virtually any industry. On the other hand, however, it's difficult to see the entire dev team approve of bad character renderings, poor MOCAP and animation, bad writing, cringe-worthy dialogue and acting, etc., without at least there being someone in the right seat of power (if not many surrounding said seat) approving such nonsense.

At the end of the day, this game just suffers from the usual and well-established "franchise milking" syndrome. The fanbase was established. The budget was green-lighted. But the quality-control was thrown down the drain. I would only be speculating on who was paid how much based on that $40 million budget. But the fact that BioWare didn't even allow for beta testing speaks volumes.

On the plus side, though, the combat looks to be ok, and the open world exploration has some good colors and contrasts. If I play this game, which would be during that galactic cycle when all the planets and moons align and the price hits rock bottom (right around Black Friday ), I'd most definitely be rushing through the story just to get it over with. Why would I even consider attempting this? Because I enjoyed the first three games. But, even then, I'd still have a huge backlog to get through. So, who knows when exactly I'd be playing it, if ever.

AKA Mister Xiado Road Rasher Raijin Z's Avatar

Open world, until you get teleported into a pack of enemies for straying too far from the path. Mass Effect has been a slow motion train wreck, and we're at the part right now where the pink slurry is pouring out of the windows of the coach cars that are folding like accordions.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

I see quite a divide between professional reviewers and Metacritic users with Metacritic scores of 78 to 75 for PC, PS4 and X1 by the critics and the users scores of 3.8 to 4.0.
    For me I have not played and more in likely will not ever play any of the Mass Effect (yeah I know I'm weird, don't like RPGs) but I am getting a kick out of what is ME Andromeda for instance seeing this animation I almost shit myself laughing.

Edit: Here's the YouTube video I made this GIF from.

Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 03-21-2017 at 01:15 PM.

^ Yeah, that one has made me laugh the most. Looks like she was rushed out of the shitter in mid-clump by the intercom:

"Captain! We have an emergency! The Ship is about to explode!!!"

The SJW theory is true; BioWare hired SJWs with no talent based on social/virtue signalling instead of game design talent.

Well there's also rumors that the work conditions at BioWare aren't well at all;

Well an allegedly former employee of Bioware Montreal posted a review for the company in Glassdoor. Among other things mentioned:

"Bioware Edmonton and Montreal symbiosis is broken. Lots of conflicts and bro culture."

"Lost over 13 leads (game design, art, audio, prog, senior core leads, etc) in 5 years at Bioware Montreal on Mass Effect. Edmonton lost only 3. It is clear that Edmonton has the bigger part of the stick when it comes to purge Leads and Producers who are not aligned with their leadership style."

"Putting people on performance improvement program (PIP Program) is the new tactics to get rid of people. Once again more than 10 people in Montreal got slammed with this bureaucratic uppercut to let go people that are not bending to Edmonton leadership styles in the last revision cycle. This approach is used by the Montreal Leadership to purge the mess from the lack of vision cause by upper management in the last 4 years (throwing people under the bus to protect bad core management)"

"Renaming crunch to Finaling mode. Which means company pays for your lunch but you have only 30 minutes to eat and then getting back on the keyboard. Was lasting for over 2 months and was a real catastrophy."

"Retaliation and harassment is sadly a reality. If you talk and ask questions you will be tag as a trouble maker and end up in a bad position."

"HR won't help you out. They will deny the current harassment from Monreal management by ignoring and not documenting the facts. In other words if you leave don't talk. Just let it go..."

"Many benifits got cut due to too much time extension to get the game done."

Etc etc
    There's a couple of more interesting former employees of Bioware posting reviews for the company at that Glassdoor site. Just remember that it's not all exactly confirmed, but seems pretty legit to me so far.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Well there's also rumors that the work conditions at BioWare aren't well at all;

There's a couple of more interesting former employees of Bioware posting reviews for the company at that Glassdoor site. Just remember that it's not all exactly confirmed, but seems pretty legit to me so far.
    There's nothing new about that in the videogame industry. So nothing in that is particularly shocking or surprising.

And the PiP thing is pretty bog standard corporate culture. It's not "the way to get rid of you". It's literally something they are forced to do in order to get rid of you.
    So if you are on a PiP, that means that someone wanted you gone, but they were forced to put you on that anyways.

Given the culture shown there, all that means is they just make sure things are terrible for you so that you either leave, or you fail the PiP and get the boot.

Nothing surprising, nothing new, and it's easy to see how so much of that kind of crap environment resulted in a game with a AAA budget but a mediocre result across the board.

Yeah, well things like this are more likely when gobbled up by companies as EA.

Anyway, finally got this turd game. Still waiting for 2 gig day 1 patch to finish. And I still need to set up my free 1 month Playstation Pro membership, because I have a funny feeling I won't be in single player long.

AKA Mister Xiado Road Rasher Raijin Z's Avatar

Protip for browsing Glassdoor: If you use Umatrix or a similar comprehensive filter extension, keep their cookies blocked, so you can read ALL of the reviews without LOL BLOCKED nonsense.

If you don't want to have an aneurysm, don't read reviews for the company you currently work for. I kept seeing horrible crap that had happened to employees where I work, then saw that it was being reported at other facilities. What, treating people like dogshit is company policy?

Well, I'm not feeling MP either. Looks like crappy SP is next... sigh. Whenever I can muster the strength to do so, that is.

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    The SJW theory is true; BioWare hired SJWs with no talent based on social/virtue signalling instead of game design talent.

This is more than likely very true. EA is a notorious PC / SJW / LGTBQ / feminist propaganda company. The moment EA took over Bioware shit went downhill fast quality wise. Star Wars Knights the Old Republic and Mass Effect are absolute gems. Every EA Bioware game since then has been rushed or injected with social justice themes. Mass Effect 2 & 3 were rushed. The internet SJW snowflakes demanded a better ending for ME 3 and EA gave in. Why make a female commander Sheppard when he was an obvious male character in the first Mass Effect? Dragon Age 2 was a hot dilapidated rushed mess with mostly "fetch-it" quests. Dragon Age inquisition had a cast of characters that was nearly half LBGTQ (only 3.5% of the population is LGTBQ http://www.pbs.org/weta/washingtonwe...merica-numbers ). The EA games are made with social justice / feminists ideology first, and talent, content, freedom of thought and innovation last.
    Last edited by Lan Di; 03-21-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It's kind of odd that this game's visuals would be rather lackluster, considing that the PC recommended specs are high.
    You can use all of the polygons, textures, etc. you want, but if they're not utilized properly, it can be "technically" demanding, but still be ugly as sin.

It might be "technically" superior to ME1-3 in regards to sheer poly count, but the nimrods who designed the models themselves had nowhere near the same skill as the original team.

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    The Andromeda models I've seen honestly don't look terrible because they are not depicting attractive women... they look bad because they just look screwed up.
    Definitely. Their facial anatomy is all sorts of wrong, with ridiculously large teeth and jaws (and most of them have stupid grins all the time), along with really puffy noses.
    Last edited by Metalwario64; 03-21-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Thread Information