Quantcast

Thread: Question Sonic 2 "beta 4" question

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Question Question Sonic 2 "beta 4" question

This is the prototype that started to block access to Hidden Palace, though it's still present, apparently, in scrambled form (like the final release).

However it's only accessible by hacking or other methods I'm not familiar with.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the...hog_2_(beta_4)

Can anyone help me to access Hidden Palace in "beta 4" (plus "beta 5," "beta 6," "beta 7," and "beta 8")?

I think if I had one save-state of Hidden Palace in "beta 4," then I could probably use that same save-state for the rest of these.

Any advice or save-states, anyone?

(Although Hidden Palace is scrambled, the enemies are intact, apparently, so it should be interesting to see.)

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

You should be able to use a save state of Hidden Palace in the final game and then just use that with "Beta 4". It should work. Sonic games were build on top of each-other and using the cart swap trick allowed you to get the level select to show up more easily by yanking out Sonic 2 and replacing it with Sonic 3. The same should apply here as well.

Hidden Palace is scrambled in the final release too, so I don't see why there should be any problem. Give me a sec, and I'll try to make a save state for you.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Save state is here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...96887523038492

Random save states from different versions didn't work, so I used a PAR code and forced it to go to Hidden Palace instead. The PAR code if you want to go there yourself is FFFE10:0008. Just activate the code, and select a level. I've tested it, and it works.

Note: You won't be doing anything but dying though. The floor has no collision, and you'll just fall to your doom. Seems debug mode doesn't work right in this beta build either, so using that is a no-no. Straight from the Sonic Retro wiki:

This build also features a severely limited debug mode. Item placement mode is not accessible, nor is Sonic invulnerable. The coordinate display functions are working, however. Item placement mode can be forced using patch codes, but debug remains limited as the player cannot move in item placement mode and items can be placed once.
    Sorry.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Save state is here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...96887523038492

Random save states from different versions didn't work, so I used a PAR code and forced it to go to Hidden Palace instead. The PAR code if you want to go there yourself is FFFE10:0008. Just activate the code, and select a level. I've tested it, and it works.

Note: You won't be doing anything but dying though. The floor has no collision, and you'll just fall to your doom. Seems debug mode doesn't work right in this beta build either, so using that is a no-no. Straight from the Sonic Retro wiki:

Sorry.
    Thanks, I used your save state and also the PAR code was nice to be able to start there automatically.

And yeah, you're right. It's so limited. I'll have to figure out how to explore it a little more. Maybe I can use save-states from the final Sonic 2, in order to explore the empty stage a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Maybe I can use save-states from the final Sonic 2, in order to explore the empty stage a bit more.
    I tried that, all I got was a black screen with the audio playing in the background.

WCPO Agent

Has nobody ever dumped the stage data ? I suppose the data format is well known for the finalized game and it seems very unlikely that this format is much different for this prototype.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

If you really just want to play a functional version of Hidden Palace, there are better ways to do that than dicking around with buggy betas. You've got stuff like Sonic 2 Long Version, Sonic 2 Delta, and the more recent Knuckles Emerald Hunt which has a revamped unlockable version of it.

Thread Information