Quantcast

Thread: The Story of Thor 32X

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Default The Story of Thor II 32X

Saw this on the Sonic/Sega Retro forums. Full credit to them, here's the original link.

In an unexpected twist of events, it seems like the sequel was originally planned for the 32X. Here's the designs that have been released so far:

https://twitter.com/...084040637493248
    https://twitter.com/...134007737585664

The bottom right character in the final image was an enemy in the Japanese Mega Drive proto; being the early version of the ogre. It went through a major redesign before the final release, so this 32X port was before the MD proto.

Proto Ogre

Final Ogre

EDIT: Removed erroneous info.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 07-02-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    So the game was originally conceived for the 32X. Interesting.
    No, that's not the case. There's some confusion here about what's been posted on Ancient's Twitter. Ancient only posted the first image here (the front page of the 32X sequel design doc). All of the other images you posted weren't posted by Ancient, but by Hitoshi Ariga, who did concept art for the first Story of Thor. He is just posting the concept art from the MD version. That's why the Proto Ogre is there.

Also, Ancient has since posted more art from Story of Thor:

https://twitter.com/AncientGames_JP

The front page of the design doc (the first image posted here) for the 32X "Thor x" has an expected development period from 9/94 to 6/95, meaning it was a sequel to the MD version (which was released in 12/94). So they planned to start development on the 32X version before the MD version was released.

Ok, thank you for clearing that up. So does that mean Legend of Oasis/Story of Thor 2 was originally planned for the 32X, or was it an altogether different sequel that got the boot?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crom View Post

Also, Ancient has since posted more art from Story of Thor:

https://twitter.com/AncientGames_JP

The guy with the sword and the crotch sling shot is a bit disturbing.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Wildside Expert

The original tweet from Ancient:

"I was cleaning recently and I found these strange documents related to the 32X! It appears that the Saturn version of Thor was at first being considered for the 32X. 32X Thor... I wonder what kind of game it would have been if it was completed!"

I don't know who's writing these tweets, but it doesn't seem like they were around at the time, so they are just guessing.

The followup tweet from Hitoshi Ariga:

"My illustration on the cover of that design proposal sure brings back memories! That's right, before the Saturn version came out, there was a plan to make an expansion of the MD version for the 32X. As for Thor, I remember drawing a whole bunch of illustrations for its design proposal." (that last sentence seems to be referring to the original MD version, which corresponds to the illustrations he posted)

He uses the word "expansion" (kakucho) to refer to the 32X version. That makes me wonder if it wasn't an enhanced version of the MD version rather than a sequel. That wouldn't be surprising and would explain why they were going to begin development 3 months before the MD version was completed.

Thanks again Crom, especially for the translations. I wonder if it made it past the planning stages? Would be great if something else turned up the future; 32X was crying out for good games, and this one could of been a corker.

Thread Information