Quantcast

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Foundry (Official Thread)

I wish they would use behind the car cameras during gameplay more.
    Last edited by Soulis; 09-03-2016 at 11:43 PM.

Hero of Algol

Don't get me started with the bumper camera plague.

Metroid Prime:

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Brilliant game , but Exhumed is better and also was the 1st game to mix Adv and FPS in one and play like a Metroid game in 3D
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

That video was brilliant! DF really gave some good info regarding the technical details behind the game. The in depth review makes me want to play this game today!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Brilliant game , but Exhumed is better and also was the 1st game to mix Adv and FPS in one and play like a Metroid game in 3D
    Metroid Prime is a masterpiece. I doubt that Exhumed is that great.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Metroid Prime is a masterpiece. I doubt that Exhumed is that great.
    Think you'll find Exhumed is better actually . Better puzzles and better levels and when you think you finished it you open up the Team Dolls mode which features Mario IV levels of perfection of level design and gameplay
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Think you'll find Exhumed is better actually . Better puzzles and better levels and when you think you finished it you open up the Team Dolls mode which features Mario IV levels of perfection of level design and gameplay
    While I love my Saturn, I think you're truly smoking something there.

Not really. It borrows a lot from Doom and Quake. I wasn't a big fan of that style of fps, including Duke Nukem 3D. It's also more fps than adventure, while Metroid Prime is 90% adventure with 10% being fps.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Not really. It borrows a lot from Doom and Quake. I wasn't a big fan of that style of fps, including Duke Nukem 3D. It's also more fps than adventure, while Metroid Prime is 90% adventure with 10% being fps.
    This not a dig, but its quite clear you haven't played much of the game . Its starts off as a Doom type but then grows in Super Metroid clone where platforming almost takes over the shooting you have to backtrack through levels and parts of levels only start to open up as you get new abilities and new artifacts (none of which you see in Doom or Quake) and some of the puzzles become so fiendish so well planned out and designed its simply insulting to call it a Doom Clone and its up there with Mario IV level design perfection and the best part is , when you think ou finished the game you open up the Team Dolls mode which will test anyone platforming skills to the limits

Just because its played 100% in FPS doesn't mean it's a Doom clone at all. I don't mean to take away from Prime because it is a masterpiece , but Exhumed and to a point Turok laid the groundwork and imo Exhumed is a better game with better level desgin

Last edited by Team Andromeda; 11-01-2016 at 06:21 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I've seen plenty of videos for Powerslave. It borrows a lot from Doom, including the backtracking that I didn't find particularly fun. Metroid is way more than just platforming and shooting, including 2 forms of the morph ball, the grappling hook, the lava suit and the ice beam. Powerslave just does too much of what I don't like and that is why I never bought the game. And don't get me started on Turok, which I found entertaining for only a couple of hours at best.

I've seen plenty of videos for Powerslave. It borrows a lot from Doom, including the backtracking that I didn't find particularly fun. Metroid is way more than just platforming and shooting, including 2 forms of the morph ball, the grappling hook, the lava suit and the ice beam. Powerslave just does too much of what I don't like and that is why I never bought the game. And don't get me started on Turok, which I found entertaining for only a couple of hours at best.
    The backtracking is nothing like Doom , you have to go back to early parts of game that can't be open up or accessed until you have the right power up (straight out of Metroid) it's far more than find a red key and backtrack inthe same level. Exhumed is far more than Doom, you can talk of the Lave suit and ice beam , well without Horus Feather you'll not be able to levitate (Exhumed version of Grappling hook) , without the Protective Ankletyou'll not be able to explore the lava levels (Exhumed version of lava suit) without the Sobek Mask you'll not be able to explore the underwater stages and so on

Just like Super Metroid in how each power up opens up not just new levels, but also open up new parts to older levels far eailer in the game , Exhumed's artifact do exactly the same . Seriously watching videos does games like this no justice in the just the same way so many dismiss Draclua Unleashed or Gabriel Knight II as mere FMV games .
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

What about System Shock? It's not the first FPS/Adv either but it resembles Metroid in 3d with its map system, character upgrades needed to progress, backtracking, etc.. It's also a deeper and more satisfying game than Prime but most gamers will continue to avoid playing it.

Metroid Prime is good but holy fuck does it get put on a pedestal. I don't generally have an issue with backtracking in games but in Prime there's a lot of tedium to drag out the game's length.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    What about System Shock? It's not the first FPS.
    I agree its doing far more than Doom . I mean in Doom you can't even jump or look up or down . Alien Trilogy is a Doom clone , Exhumed isn't. Exhumed basically was Super Metroid set in Egypt and FPS
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Exhumed is absolutely a pure metroidvania played as FPS, I acquired and played through the game for the first time and it's very apparent. I would also call it a classic game, it's that cool IMO.

I've never played the Metroid Prime games though.

Thread Information