Quantcast

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Foundry (Official Thread)

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    What about System Shock? It's not the first FPS/Adv either but it resembles Metroid in 3d with its map system, character upgrades needed to progress, backtracking, etc... It's also a deeper and more satisfying game than Prime but most gamers will continue to avoid playing it.

Metroid Prime is good but holy fuck does it get put on a pedestal. I don't generally have an issue with backtracking in games but in Prime there's a lot of tedium to drag out the game's length.
    I enjoy the environments and the feeling of isolation in Prime. Yeah, the backtracking can be a bit tedious, but the joy I get out of each of the areas makes up for it.

I've had a free copy of System Shock II on my PC for about 6 months. I think I remember you saying it wasn't quite as good as the first though?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Banned by Administrators

I only played Metroid Prime quite awhile back up untill you encounter the pirates as regular enemies or something. Started out cool on that space station, but at the time I played this game, it didn't quite hold my interest or something. Been meaning for some time now to give it another chance. Didn't know the game ran @ 60fps, and this has me especially excited to return to it.

Exhumed, or Powerslave as I've always read it in gaming mags, I've been meaning to give a try one of these days too since just about every gaming mag back in the day had nothing but great things to say about it. That and I'm a big fan of the Saturn, so for sure I have to play on of the most respected and praised Saturn games one of these days. And I'm liking what I've been reading about this game on here so far.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    I've had a free copy of System Shock II on my PC for about 6 months. I think I remember you saying it wasn't quite as good as the first though?
    I have a slight preference for the first one but the second one is awesome, one of my favourite games. They're different enough to make both worth playing. Shock2 is both more RPG and more survival horror than the first.

Banned by Administrators

Someone on the BioWare forums who tried to get me into the BioShock games told me to try the System Shock games too. But to beware that they're really hard. So how hard are these games? Feel free to compare their difficulty to Exhumed and Metroid Prime too.

On default I would say the System Shock games are probably harder than the rest of those but there are are easier settings I never tried.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I played through Metroid Prime as soon as it came out. It's fair to call it a good game as far as 3D games go, but even while still fresh it was a great argument for 2D>3D gameplay, especially against trying to make an existing 2D game wirk in 3D for no good reason other than the sake of it and to milk the IP. That first Wii game dumbed it down so bad that I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

I didn't get to play Powerslave until long after Quake came out. I think that it wasn't released in Canada. It was more impressive than I expected and I'm not a real fan of FPS, but I didn't enjoy it enough to play multiple times like I did Duke 3D and Quake because of how much it was a platforming heavy "Metroidvania" in 3D.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger
    I didn't get to play Powerslave until long after Quake came out. I think that it wasn't released in Canada.
    We got all the same Saturn games as the US. Powerslave was available at EB but it was in limited quantities so it was off shelves quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The backtracking is nothing like Doom , you have to go back to early parts of game that can't be open up or accessed until you have the right power up (straight out of Metroid) it's far more than find a red key and backtrack inthe same level. Exhumed is far more than Doom, you can talk of the Lave suit and ice beam , well without Horus Feather you'll not be able to levitate (Exhumed version of Grappling hook) , without the Protective Ankletyou'll not be able to explore the lava levels (Exhumed version of lava suit) without the Sobek Mask you'll not be able to explore the underwater stages and so on

Just like Super Metroid in how each power up opens up not just new levels, but also open up new parts to older levels far eailer in the game , Exhumed's artifact do exactly the same . Seriously watching videos does games like this no justice in the just the same way so many dismiss Draclua Unleashed or Gabriel Knight II as mere FMV games .
    Yet, you posted a video (really bad quality) to show me just how good the game is. Other than it looking really good for a 32-bit console game, there's a lot there (shooting fish in a barrel) that doesn't interest me.

And no, the Horus Feather is nothing like the grappling hook in Metroid, and there's nothing quite like exploring as the Morph Ball in Metroid.

Here's a much better video of Exhumed in this guy's thorough review of the game.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Banned by Administrators

^ I love that guy's reviews.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post

And no, the Horus Feather is nothing like the grappling hook in Metroid, and there's nothing quite like exploring as the Morph Ball in Metroid.
    The videos I linked are trying to show you stuff like the laser fields - which require near perfect movement to navigate and how its totally different to a game like doom (you can't even jump in Doom)

Sorry, the Horus feather like the grappling hook always you to reach higher or new parts of the level that you couldn't otherwise it borrows those parts from Super Metroid . And I don't think Prime Morph Ball stages offer much exploration those parts tend to switch to the old 2d style and be very linear, you switch viewpoints and also get to drive vehicles in Halo but to many its a FPS.

Exhumed plays also exactly like Super Metroid in 3D . Given the GameCube was 2 gens ahead of the Saturn then yeah Sure Prime does more and offers more , but the likes of Exhumed was the 1st to mix not just adventure with FPS but also platforming. I always said for me Exhumed is the best FPS around and that to me its up there with Mario IV was level desgin perfection
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Banned by Administrators

You really like Mario IV level design that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The videos I linked are trying to show you stuff like the laser fields - which require near perfect movement to navigate and how its totally different to a game like doom (you can't even jump in Doom)
    I know you can't jump in Doom. I also pointed out Quake as well. I've played a ton of those Doom style games back then, and I always got bored after a couple of hours. Halo was the 1st fps that I actually played to the finish, because it had open areas to do battle in, and it had Banshees and Warthogs to ride around on; the enemy AI was also pretty decent for the time.

Tomb Raider does exactly what you're talking about.

Sorry, the Horus feather like the grappling hook always you to reach higher or new parts of the level that you couldn't otherwise it borrows those parts from Super Metroid . And I don't think Prime Morph Ball stages offer much exploration those parts tend to switch to the old 2d style and be very linear, you switch viewpoints and also get to drive vehicles in Halo but to many its a FPS.
    Horus feather might as well be a magic carpet. It's nothing like the grappling beam where you try to discover places that you can attach it to.

The Morph Ball is so much more than what you are trying to give it credit for. You can use it to make a quick escape when an enemy has you cornered, drop a couple of bombs on your way out and then transform back into your suit form once you've given yourself ample space to battle on your feet again.

Exhumed plays also exactly like Super Metroid in 3D . Given the GameCube was 2 gens ahead of the Saturn then yeah Sure Prime does more and offers more , but the likes of Exhumed was the 1st to mix not just adventure with FPS but also platforming. I always said for me Exhumed is the best FPS around and that to me its up there with Mario IV was level desgin perfection
    No, Metroid Prime plays exactly like Super Metroid in 3D. Exhumed may have Metroid like elements, but it also has stuff that borrows from Doom. Nothing about Metroid Prime resembles anything from Doom, except for the 1st person view, and that often changes to 3rd person when you have to often use the Morph Ball.

And, I'm not the person that tried to exclaim that a game from 2 previous generations (bit of a stretch) had more to offer than a game released over 6 years after it.
    Last edited by gamevet; 11-02-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    You really like Mario IV level design that much.
    Yep .It's a masterpiece and the pinnacle of 2D Platforming (for me and imo)

Tomb Raider does exactly what you're talking about.
    Sorry that's quite wrong. There's next to no back tracking to completed levels in TR and you don't need Power Up to open up new levels or new parts to earlier completed levels . This is what Exhumed brought to FPS and buidling on Super Metroid.

Horus feather might as well be a magic carpet. It's nothing like the grappling beam where you try to discover places that you can attach it to
    You seem to miss the point . With out that power up you'll not be able to reach parts of the levels, in just the same with you need a grappling hook to reach new parts in Metroid.

Exhumed may have Metroid like elements, but it also has stuff that borrows from Doom
    Exhumed is basically Super Metroid in 3D set in the past , the only think it borrows from Doom is the view point, Exhumed borrows far more from the likes of Super Metroid . Doom is quite a simple game and that's why a lot of people love it . Exhumed is not Doom clone.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 11-03-2016 at 10:26 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I'm curious if TA really thinks this about Exhumed/Powerslave, or if he's just saying it as a distraction in hopes no one will remember him stating a while ago that Metroid Prime wasn't that impressive graphically and wasn't doing that much with Geometric detail, effects, etc. after this recent video proved him wrong...

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I'm curious if TA really thinks this about Exhumed/Powerslave, or if he's just saying it as a distraction in hopes no one will remember him stating a while ago that Metroid Prime wasn't that impressive graphically and wasn't doing that much with Geometric detail, effects, etc. after this recent video proved him wrong...
    As if being proven wrong ever stopped him.

Thread Information