Quantcast

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Foundry has been doing retro analyses on Saturn/PS1/N64 games

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Soul Reaver is one of my favorite Playstation and Dreamcast games.

Considering the premise of the video and specifically mentioning coverage of canelations during the Blood Omen section, I'm surprised that there was no mention of the Saturn version, which was reported to have been 100% complete.
    Yeah, I was also gutted when EDIOS dropped Soul Raver II on the DC too.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

No, not THAT Xavier. Road Rasher -RT's Avatar

Wow, even being the Legacy of Kain geek I am, I still learnt a couple of interesting things about this game.
    Man, now I want to replay SR1.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Yeah, I was also gutted when EDIOS dropped Soul Raver II on the DC too.
    Same here, first time a company made me feel very salty twice in a so short period of time. Once when I finished the game to see that awful half-assed end, and other with the cancellation of the sequel.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Gryson's Avatar

I wonder what Soul Reaver (or whatever it would have been called) would have been like if done by Silicon Knights. Soul Reaver is an amazing game in its own right, but I never felt like it came anywhere near Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain in terms of story.

New episode about the 32X.

https://youtu.be/mxJAI2omTsA

Lord of the Obscure Wildside Expert LordGeo's Avatar

I loved this episode, especially if showing how exactly each game utilized both the Genesis & 32X, and I'm looking forward to Part 2 & future entries in this "Failed Systems" series. Naturally, I still like Chaotix more than John did, but he was still fair to it & gave due credit to its excellent visuals & music (it really says something that the Genesis-only & 32X-only portions of the song used both sound great on their own).

Raging in the Streets

It's nice to see a 32X video that actually focuses on the 32X instead of the 'massive failure' the 32X is.

I mean I really don't like the 32X, but yeah i've seen maybe a million videos where the 32X is a failure and Sega killed children in revenge and whatever horrible things apparently happened.

Also yes, Chaotix is a real chore to play sometimes but damn does it look and sound real nice.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher avlon's Avatar

DF Retro continues to impress with this episode on the 32X. As a teen, (when it was released) it came across as a shovelware cash in.
    As an adult, even though 90% of the library still seems terrible, I am interested in how it worked and DF is great in breaking down the basics.

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

Cool nod to Chilly Willy for his port of Castle Wolfenstein.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bpguimaraes23 View Post
    New episode about the 32X.

https://youtu.be/mxJAI2omTsA
    New and improved post...

Knuckles Chaotix was great. Also the music...

Raging in the Streets

^ I don't mind it but the rubber band mechanic really gets on my nerves and sometimes makes moving around the levels a complete exercise in frustration.

It's still probably the best 32X game (well okay, it's the 3rd best because VF and VR exist) but that means it beats less than 50 other games

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

It's good that someone produces videos like this to debunk some stupid shit that has been said and repeated to death for years.
    The 32X is nowhere near as powerful for 2D games as most people think. And its hardware design is nowhere nears as good as the pro-SOA narratives like to tell you.

The hardware design is very poor and limited, specially in the context of the emerging 3D wave of games and its need for a library of "regular" games that could be quickly filled in order to justify its existence and the gamer's investment in such a late add-on.

Also very good to see some proper credit given to the Probe developers who weren't as dumb as people like to think and much less dumb than the ones who suggest that they should have drawn the backgrounds with the 32X instead of doing what they did.

Chaotix, though, is just a unfinished broken piece of crap with no visual balance whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    ^ I don't mind it but the rubber band mechanic really gets on my nerves and sometimes makes moving around the levels a complete exercise in frustration.
    Chaotix, though, is just a unfinished broken piece of crap with no visual balance whatsoever.
    That's BS. 99% of people I see play this game online including DF don't use the rubber band mechanic correctly. If you master it by, say, playing the tutorial you can zip through the levels doing all kinds of neat moves. If you just play it as a Sonic game, of course it'll suck because it's not one.

No idea what you mean about visual balance, it's a very nice-looking game with interesting Dali-like surrealist elements.

Thread Information