Quantcast

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Foundry has been doing retro analyses on Saturn/PS1/N64 games

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again, like the Jews re-establish their Israeli, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget his fans.

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

Most of the video was great (as the previous one), except for the part where he exposes himself by claiming that NBA Jam TE is nearly arcade perfect on the Saturn, which is completely inaccurate. AI is totally botched both in the SAT and PS1 versions.
    Atari Jaguar's and 32X's ports are the best ones AFAIK. The Jaguar one is quite impressive and handled by the same High Voltage Software he rightfully praised in this video.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Most of the video was great (as the previous one), except for the part where he exposes himself by claiming that NBA Jam TE is nearly arcade perfect on the Saturn, which is completely inaccurate. AI is totally botched both in the SAT and PS1 versions.
    Atari Jaguar's and 32X's ports are the best ones AFAIK. The Jaguar one is quite impressive and handled by the same High Voltage Software he rightfully praised in this video.
    Sadly the gfx most prob made John decide the Saturn version was near perfect. Great video and feature, though I do not agree at all that Stellar Assualt or VF is better on the 32X. I never loved the 32X and always thought it was waste of time and money (mine was given to me) . But my Good when you see all those games you wake up to how useless the system was . Poor sound, 2D performance behind that of the MD or Snes, never mind Jaguar or Saturn and so all its best games made next to use of the MD, so it was utterly pointless in being add-on to the Mega Drive.

It's make almost cry at how inept and clueless SEGA really was in the 32 bit days. For SOA pushing ahead with Cart and the 32X and then SEGA Japan not getting SONIC ready for Saturn, not getting Square after they jumped ship and shipping the Saturn with poor tool set (which even SEGA own CS Teams said were rubbish) Ypu then had Nintendo messing up with the N64 and Carts. Its like SONY almost did have to do anything and leave SEGA and Nintendo do all the cock ups, while SONY cleaned up
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Sadly the gfx most prob made John decide the Saturn version was near perfect. Great video and feature, though I do not agree at all that Stellar Assualt or VF is better on the 32X. I never loved the 32X and always thought it was waste of time and money (mine was given to me) . But my Good when you see all those games you wake up to how useless the system was . Poor sound, 2D performance behind that of the MD or Snes, never mind Jaguar or Saturn and so all its best games made next to use of the MD, so it was utterly pointless in being add-on to the Mega Drive.

It's make almost cry at how inept and clueless SEGA really was in the 32 bit days. For SOA pushing ahead with Cart and the 32X and then SEGA Japan not getting SONIC ready for Saturn, not getting Square after they jumped ship and shipping the Saturn with poor tool set (which even SEGA own CS Teams said were rubbish) Ypu then had Nintendo messing up with the N64 and Carts. Its like SONY almost did have to do anything and leave SEGA and Nintendo do all the cock ups, while SONY cleaned up
    What is considered good is subjective. I thought games were about gameplay here (at least that's what I thought the consensus was here and on the Internet) and not caring about graphics and sound.

Rebel Pizza Raging in the Streets Thief's Avatar

I couldn't stand the Saturn version because everyone had giant heads.

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    What is considered good is subjective. I thought games were about gameplay here (at least that's what I thought the consensus was here and on the Internet) and not caring about graphics and sound.
    Except those two 32X videos were focusing on the graphical technical aspect of things.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    I couldn't stand the Saturn version because everyone had giant heads.
    Just as they did in the arcade original and in the 32x port.
    One, two, Freddy's coming for you....

Rebel Pizza Raging in the Streets Thief's Avatar

I was raised with the 16-Bit versions, so yes, even the Arcade port looks silly to me now with the giant heads.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    I never played or owned the Saturn version, so I can't comment (never liked NBA Jam the Arcades or on the MD). But with Arcade ports you also wanted to game to look and sound as close as possible to the Arcade game its porting, a huge part of the charm was getting that Arcade look and sound in your home. And yes even gameplay can win out, hence why I think Most will say Doom and Virtua Racing are better on the 32X than on the Saturn
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets

Doom is pretty much unplayably slow on the Saturn, so the 32X version wins there. It also handily beats the downright definitely unplayable SNES version.

Playstation Doom though? For the consoles of the time that's a league of it's own, although I don't like the new music very much at all (even though the 32X music is terrible)

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

I played the PlayStation version of DOOM connected to a Pro-Logic surround sound receiver. One time there was a grunt behind me and I nearly shat myself. It was a great version of the game.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

The one thing that disappointed me about those videos was they didn't examine the hardware in detail and speculate what could have been possible like they do with modern hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post

I don't really think Sega had much hope getting Square. The reason being is that Square went to the PS1 mainly due to it still using a MIPS CPU like the N64 so they figured they could save more of their work with FF7. The Saturn was the oddball out with SH-2 architecture on that one. You can't really blame Square for going to the PS1 in that case, it made good business sense. You can't really get mad at Sega either because they didn't have a crystal ball to tell them that would be an issue for that one situation.

Now I do agree the 32X shouldn't have been done and those resources should have been put into polishing the Saturn and giving it a better launch. That could have put it in a better position to get better and more ports of multiplatform games and what not.

Though I don't agree on Virtua Fighter being better on Saturn. Yeah it's pushing more polygons, but it's a glitchy mess. The 32X version comes off as a more polished game despite the hardware's shortcomings on sound and polygon counts. Now Virtua Fighter Remix I'll agree hands down beats 32X Virtua Fighter.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I don't think I've played the arcade version of NBA Jam T.E., but I always thought the 32x versions AI opponents were kind of cheap, whereas the Saturn/PSX version is better balanced. For some reason the duration of a game seems significantly longer too on the Saturn, though I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

Doom on the Saturn was pretty crap. The 32x version isn't great but it's playable. Still, the PSX port is the only console port of the time I'd even consider bothering with at this point. I've been meaning to play the Xbox version.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I don't think I've played the arcade version of NBA Jam T.E., but I always thought the 32x versions AI opponents were kind of cheap, whereas the Saturn/PSX version is better balanced. For some reason the duration of a game seems significantly longer too on the Saturn, though I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

Doom on the Saturn was pretty crap. The 32x version isn't great but it's playable. Still, the PSX port is the only console port of the time I'd even consider bothering with at this point. I've been meaning to play the Xbox version.
    AI I felt was an issue on even the Genesis version of T.E. and College Slam.

Which Xbox version of Doom? Original or 360? The latter I thought was an excellent port.

Thread Information