Quantcast

Thread: New Sega Mega Drive Scene Demo: Malabars Bumper by Resistance

Genesis New Sega Mega Drive Scene Demo: Malabars Bumper by Resistance

This nice little Demo was released at the Solskogen Scene Party and was ranked number 4 in the oldskool compo: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=67778

If you just want to check out the Video jump over here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBzRzuAECm4

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

That looks really cool!

Especially the physics sim thing with the falling cubes. That impressed me the most.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Impressive, I also like the whole concept of a physics demo. Coincidentally I've been working through a few things in a gaming physics book lately and I'd wondered about the possibility of some kind of physics engine for the MD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockadoodle View Post
    This nice little Demo was released at the Solskogen Scene Party and was ranked number 4 in the oldskool compo: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=67778

If you just want to check out the Video jump over here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBzRzuAECm4
    Really well done Polished with smooth effects, the physic part is really impressive !

Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert

This is massive, the sprite scaling and physics engine just blew me away... I wonder if this works on the real hardware, those physics calculations are pretty heavy.

Thanks for sharing

Hero of Algol

Awesome demo!

I love how it's a complete departure from most of the previous Mega Drive demos (and most of the demos in general). The focus on the physics thing was a great idea and the execution is superb.

This along with Overdrive and Stuck Somewhere in Time are really top-notch stuff that could rival with anything from the Amiga scene IMO. And it's mind-blowing to realize this 'cause until a few years ago the MD demo scene pretty much didn't exist.
    And Day Trip is also pretty cool.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Beautiful.

Echoing others on the physics, great tune too.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Nice. The physics parts are cool, but I guess I'm the only one that thought the transparent wave effect in the beginning was clever. It's shadow/highlight, but it doesn't immediately look like it - it looks like hue blending/transparency (purple).

Wildside Expert

Had a quick look at the source-code .. and turns out all physics are pre-calculated / baked Still, the illusion is convincing .. so kudos regardless ~

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Nice. The physics parts are cool, but I guess I'm the only one that thought the transparent wave effect in the beginning was clever. It's shadow/highlight, but it doesn't immediately look like it - it looks like hue blending/transparency (purple).
    Oh i didn't even saw it but now you pointed it out i can't miss it anymore. Is it really shadow / highlight ?? Why do it look as sort of purple/blue transparency ?

And yeah physic is precalculated, honestly i think having that much complex physic animation on a MD is not possible in real time, or at least not at 60/30 FPS

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    And yeah physic is precalculated, honestly i think having that much complex physic animation on a MD is not possible in real time, or at least not at 60/30 FPS
    Seconded. Still, would be interesting to see how long of a pause you'd need to pre-calculate ( and buffer to RAM ) a single shot in a Angry Birds style game using the 68000. I suspect it might actually not be too bad / obtrusive.

Yeah, this is why this kind of stuff doesn't net you any actual merit in the scene, everybody is aware this stuff is usually precalculated (this is also why for old computers with very limited memory like 64KB they make a huge deal about it, since precalculated tables wouldn't fit).

Oh i didn't even saw it but now you pointed it out i can't miss it anymore. Is it really shadow / highlight ?? Why do it look as sort of purple/blue transparency ?
    It didn't look bluish to me at all...

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Seconded. Still, would be interesting to see how long of a pause you'd need to pre-calculate ( and buffer to RAM ) a single shot in a Angry Birds style game using the 68000. I suspect it might actually not be too bad / obtrusive.
    Honestly it depends on the constraints. The biggest problem is that things can spin which makes calculations a lot more complex, if you don't let them tilt then it'd be actually pretty trivial for the 68000. I suppose you could try to cheat by making long parts internally behave like multiple boxes as far as collisions with other bodies go, no idea how well that'd work.

EDIT: also I know there are PC games calculating physics at as low as 15Hz and interpolating or reusing the values to fake a higher framerate, that way you don't need to compute every body at once. That could work here too.

Oh ok i figured it, well done. Shadow part are the vertical strips of course, just using transparent low priority tiles column + line scrolling

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Honestly it depends on the constraints.
    It also depends on the implementation. For example, the most basic verlet integration doesn't take velocity ( including rotational ) in consideration at all, but does inherently solve it.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

I gather assemblyassembly who did day trip is working another demo

Thread Information