Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Panzer Dragoon Saga source code

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    who cares about money over far more important things like experiences or health? that's what's so wrong with society. people will not look twice if you throw away a bread, but if you throw away a primarily meaningless item that costs 100 euros, they will
    Anybody who has bills and things they need to pay for.

Personally I just don't ever value any game at 200-300, this one definitely included, and Sega obviously doesn't see the value in a re-release otherwise they'd of tackled it by now.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post

Personally I just don't ever value any game at 200-300, this one definitely included, and Sega obviously doesn't see the value in a re-release otherwise they'd of tackled it by now.
    It's all subjective. If you have your bills paid, no issues with savings, etc. Feel free to splurge.

If you spend that much on anything (a game included) that isn't a necessity and don't really have the means to float it... yeah sure, not a great idea.
    But that's not uncommon. When I lived in NJ the amount of guys I saw driving expensive cars and wearing tons of real gold/platinum jewelry (it was all the rage in the 90's) who were one step away from eviction was crazy.

But back on topic. Yes, there's absolutely ways Sega COULD have redone PDS. But while it's a well reviewed game from a well reviewed series... not to mention ones that were important to the Saturn. They just are not seen as having the draw to bring a ton of people in to purchase it.

And the JSR/JGR remake on the 360. Yeah, it looked nice, but it really needed some better work done on it to make it more appealing to a wider audience. The camera/controls needed tightening up for modern systems to really have appeal beyond those who likely still have the original on the Dreamcast. It would have been nice to see some more extras with it too, but I feel that way about all remakes.

So just slapping PDS into an emulator and up-scaling it (now with more "HD filters!") wouldn't go over very well to fans of the game... and for someone looking at the game for the first time? Probably wouldn't interest them at all.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

if you can't save up any money I can understand, but everyone can save money, come on, we are not in africa. and then buy the game and resell it later perhaps

Would it be a worthwhile fan project to remake the game? I'm aware that legal issues could arise, its a risk that always taken with that kind of fan project. But if people really want a newer version of the game its probably possible.

Raging in the Streets

if you can't save up any money I can understand, but everyone can save money, come on, we are not in africa. and then buy the game and resell it later perhaps
    Or save up that couple hundred, and spend it on something better than a slightly above average RPG from the 90s.

I mean, I could easily afford a few of the 100+ games if i really wanted, I just flat out refuse to ever pay over 50 for a video game, it's simply not worth it.

Or save up that couple hundred, and spend it on something better than a slightly above average RPG from the 90s.

I mean, I could easily afford a few of the 100+ games if i really wanted, I just flat out refuse to ever pay over 50 for a video game, it's simply not worth it.
    so what do you buy for those few hundred pounds instead of pds?

Hero of Algol

Good luck reverse engineering Saturn games.
    Good. Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Good luck reverse engineering Saturn games.
    Good. Luck.
    To be fair, these days you really don't need to.

You'd really only need to dump some of the assets (if you aren't just recreating them) and then build your own engine to look and feel like PDS.

At this point and time I think trying to reverse engineer a saturn game like PDS without access to most, if not all, of the source code would likely take a hell of a lot longer than rebuilding it in some off the shelf engine now.

Raging in the Streets

so what do you buy for those few hundred pounds instead of pds?
    Saving up for a new car currently.

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    To be fair, these days you really don't need to.

You'd really only need to dump some of the assets (if you aren't just recreating them) and then build your own engine to look and feel like PDS.

At this point and time I think trying to reverse engineer a saturn game like PDS without access to most, if not all, of the source code would likely take a hell of a lot longer than rebuilding it in some off the shelf engine now.
    The real question is, is that worth doing for the 100 or so people that will see it on whatever online digital store and go "oh yeah I remember that game" and buy it, as opposed to just porting over another Grandia game or whatever at minimal cost?

Fuck, Sega still haven't done anything with Shenmue in all these years and that's way more sought after than PDS

It would really depend how it's done.
    If they marketed it right I think it would do well.

But if it's a half assed quick n sloppy job... yeah, it's not going to sell very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    What if you're only interested in playing the game legitimately?
    Then you get to pay $400+ (:
    556 552 557 279 725

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

If you want to play Saturn games you're better off just buying a Saturn.
    this
    this this this

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    When a game goes for 400 or so USD, it makes sense to hope for a re-release, especially something like PDS that would benefit greatly from some higher powered hardware.

Although at this point, I think it would benefit most from a ground up remake.
    ehh honestly, CD-R (and region) modding your saturn isn't as expensive as it once was, and no original devs are seeing $ from the hundreds spent on that scene these days - best way to dive into the library!

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I've said it before. If Sega had spent as much time actually working to reverse-engineer the game as it has telling people it doesn't have the source code, it would have finished the game a decade ago.
    also a fair point!

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Shaky emulation I would call PS2 and Dreamcast emulators..
    my experience with the PS2 emu was far better than even SSF, last i tried it!

Saving up for a new car currently.

The real question is, is that worth doing for the 100 or so people that will see it on whatever online digital store and go "oh yeah I remember that game" and buy it, as opposed to just porting over another Grandia game or whatever at minimal cost?

Fuck, Sega still haven't done anything with Shenmue in all these years and that's way more sought after than PDS
    what kind of car? how much does it cost?

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Yukio Futatsugi hints at the status of Saga source code (GDC 2019 Q&A)

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Just burn the cdr and play on your modded Saturn. That's as good as it's going to get for someone who wants to play a game but doesn't want to pay the secondary market value and would instead foolishly think Sega would remake the game just so you can play it "for real". The same info on the Saturn disc is the same as the iso. It doesn't make the experience any less meaningful and if you truly do then quit whining and pay the money.

Thread Information