Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Mega Drive Chip music keyboard

  1. #16
    WCPO Agent LinkueiBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    INCREDIBLE!!!
    The ultimate Synth Yamaha MD-7
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!


    Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

    Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

    Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

  2. #17
    Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa - USA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Hi everyone!

    Thanks for the latest comments. Here's a new update!



    In this video I'm demonstrating creating a new sound bank from a VGM song, then using it.

    Barone:
    Your idea isn't too far fetched. For a new game something like that could possibly be implemented from the start, without even modifying the hardware. It would sacrifice a joystick port (therefore make the game 1 player) if it's not played on the Mega Drive that has that EXP slot on the back.

    As for patching existing games to take advantage of that and creating custom profiles... that's a much far fetched idea and would require a Z80/68K wizard to work on each game, since there's no universal sound driver for the MD. But the idea is really cool.

    When we move to a final design (we must always remember this is just a prototype), then the YMK would make much more available, SNES chip, YM2151, and many others we find it interesting. And if we ever get to have profiles and game patches setup you could even route notes from the MD original music to those chips. Imagine Street Fighter for MD on the YM2151, the original arcade chip... Would probably sound great.

    There are no limits to what we can create, and it seems we keep finding ways to breathe new life into the MD! What is it about Sega consoles... they keep on giving!

    Tower of Power and LinkueiBR
    Thansk for the nice words. We need to make sure more and more people know about this, and form a community, so then we can make a KS a reality.

    Thanks everyone! All the best!

    These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

  3. #18
    Master of Shinobi Pyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,858
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    Amazing work Tulio!
    I hope the best and that you achieve everything you want in this project.

    One question: Have any chance that in the future you can edit the instruments to remake the music with others assets?
    Maybe taking another waves did in others games as base to new one for example, or inserting a pcm drums in the music?

    Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

  4. #19
    Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa - USA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    All instruments are fully editable (that's why there's a lot of buttons and this large LCD, hehe), so anything you play with the synthesizer, you can always tweak and change anything. In the previous video for example, I could have played the Sonic track with another sound bank, or could have changed the green hill sound bank to make it sound different for example.

    These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

  5. #20
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,703
    Rep Power
    174

    Default

    This was recorded with the prototype YMK so it may have some background noise. If there are enough requests I can re-record using the PCB YMK.

  6. #21
    Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa - USA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Thriller was an icon of the 80's and it was built mostly on Synthesizers. Then it just occurred to me that those sounds could be reproduced in the YM2612, so that's what I did. To accompany this video, I made a small documentary on Thriller, and Michael Jackson's involvement with Sega.



    I hope you enjoy.

    These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

  7. #22
    Road Rasher
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    357
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Hey, Tulio. How is this keyboard progressing? It is one of the most interesting and creative projects around. I'm really keen to know if there was any progress after your last update.

  8. #23
    SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Poconos, PA, USA
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    There has been so many updates in this project! If you haven't been up to date, what the wrap up below, and also check the playlist link above for more videos!



    Also, I now have a playlist just for music being played on the YMK. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YUknLBnO4i3yD3
    Listen to music from Chrono Trigger, Legend of Zelda, Streets of Rage, Shinobi III, Shining Force II and even Sonic for the Master System.

    Feedback and comments are always welcome!
    If I buy this keyboard, how can I make songs to play on everdrive or send midi or audio files to somebody making a new homebrew genesis game? Great idea, it uses original Yamaha chip (heard there were 2 or 3 Yamaha genesis chips so I'm asking) etc?
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

  9. #24
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Pha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    Thriller was an icon of the 80's and it was built mostly on Synthesizers. Then it just occurred to me that those sounds could be reproduced in the YM2612, so that's what I did. To accompany this video, I made a small documentary on Thriller, and Michael Jackson's involvement with Sega.



    I hope you enjoy.
    Hello,

    I can't find any archives with the VGM/VGZ extension to hear since then on an MD/GS for example : what could be more logic as a tour-de-force : MD/GS sounds on an MD/GS
    Because KEGA Fusion is anything but absurd.

  10. #25
    Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa - USA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by netpredakonn View Post
    Hey, Tulio. How is this keyboard progressing? It is one of the most interesting and creative projects around. I'm really keen to know if there was any progress after your last update.
    Well the prototype is working really well, and MIDI support is great as the recent music I've been posting has demonstrated. I still have to add Portamento though, that thing has been haunting me for over a year, but I've been having very little time to spend on it.
    I think this worked well enough as a proof of concept that I feel confident to move on to the next step that is making the multi-chip synth with expansion slots. For that I will count on some help from Tiido (TmEE) which may take some time since he's also quite busy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    If I buy this keyboard, how can I make songs to play on everdrive or send midi or audio files to somebody making a new homebrew genesis game? Great idea, it uses original Yamaha chip (heard there were 2 or 3 Yamaha genesis chips so I'm asking) etc?
    One idea I had was to use VGM for the internal recording formats, since there are multiple audio drivers capable of handling that. But this device is really more intended for playback than as an input method. My goal since the beginning was to show how the YM2612 (OPN2) synthesizer is extremely capable, despite it getting a bad reputation due to some lazy composers in the west... ^^

    Quote Originally Posted by Pha View Post
    Hello,

    I can't find any archives with the VGM/VGZ extension to hear since then on an MD/GS for example : what could be more logic as a tour-de-force : MD/GS sounds on an MD/GS
    Maybe I'm just a bit tired today, I didn't understand your question.
    But in the description of the video you will find the raw recordings (wave format) of each track in Thriller, made with my synthesizer. If that isn't what you're asking about please let me know.

    These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

  11. #26
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Pha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    Maybe I'm just a bit tired today, I didn't understand your question.
    But in the description of the video you will find the raw recordings (wave format) of each track in Thriller, made with my synthesizer. If that isn't what you're asking about please let me know.
    You have done a remarkable job, but with your know-how, if we could benefit from your version of Thriller arranged to be listenable from an Megadrive/Genesis, it would be an achievement. And I would add: the example to follow !

    Because I notice that in far too many situations we listen to music sequenced with Megadrive/Genesis instruments, but that we never listen on Megadrive/Genesis

    Your version of Thriller to listen on Megadrive/Genesis from a VGM file is it possible
    Because KEGA Fusion is anything but absurd.

  12. #27
    Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa - USA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Aha! That makes way more sense now.

    Well, there are a few things to consider: first, my synthesizer uses two YM2612, so right of the bat, it allows twice the polyphony, that is, 12 FM channels. Then there's the case that I recorded instrument by instrument (therefore, each instrument alone was allowed 12 channel polyphony, such as the chorus stabs). As I mentioned on the video, I had a total of 41 mixer tracks (granted, some of them were voice and drums, and some were mix of other tracks) but still, the polyphony is way high.

    Actually it did cross my mind at one point to see if I could make something that would connect an array of MDs and dynamically play instruments on each one, and mix all outputs into something else. Would be cool to see, say, 4 or 5 MDs in concert.

    Anyway, definitely the MD version found on the Moonwalker prototype is fair at best, it could have used better instruments, and the song could be extended to play completely beginning to end. Also the MJ voice channel could be eliminated, thus freeing one extra channel for melody. So even with just the stock MD sound chips I think that Thriller could have sounded better.

    These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

  13. #28
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Pha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    Aha! That makes way more sense now.

    Well, there are a few things to consider: first, my synthesizer uses two YM2612, so right of the bat, it allows twice the polyphony, that is, 12 FM channels. Then there's the case that I recorded instrument by instrument (therefore, each instrument alone was allowed 12 channel polyphony, such as the chorus stabs). As I mentioned on the video, I had a total of 41 mixer tracks (granted, some of them were voice and drums, and some were mix of other tracks) but still, the polyphony is way high.

    Actually it did cross my mind at one point to see if I could make something that would connect an array of MDs and dynamically play instruments on each one, and mix all outputs into something else. Would be cool to see, say, 4 or 5 MDs in concert.

    Anyway, definitely the MD version found on the Moonwalker prototype is fair at best, it could have used better instruments, and the song could be extended to play completely beginning to end. Also the MJ voice channel could be eliminated, thus freeing one extra channel for melody. So even with just the stock MD sound chips I think that Thriller could have sounded better.
    I can hear the arsenal used ( the Megadrive/Genesis is finaly only an allusion since it is beyond the reach of the latter....), however I imagine that by focusing with discernment on the harmonics it would be possible to get a lot closer to your maxi-mixer-tracks result and that on the original console , or not .
    Because KEGA Fusion is anything but absurd.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •