Quantcast

Thread: The Lawnmower Man (Genesis)

Meh The Lawnmower Man (Genesis)

The movie The Lawnmower Man was an exciting journey into virtual reality. Unfortunately, the video game versions weren't as engaging, as it's quite hard to emulate virtual reality on a 16-bit machine. What we got instead was an adventure composed of different play styles, some which worked better than others. The overall experience was a far cry from virtual reality. Read our full review for more details.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-22-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I see this at a local game shop fairly often. I don't know if I should get it or not.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I see this at a local game shop fairly often. I don't know if I should get it or not.
    If it's cheap, go for it. It's not terrible, and at least it tried to be different. IIRC, the SNES version has more levels (crappy ones, I recall), but this version's gameplay was rebalanced to make up for it.

Yeah, I'm sure I have worse games. And frankly, if the music is pretty good, I wouldn't mind grabbing a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man was an exciting journey into virtual reality.
    Actually, the original story had nothing at all to do with virtual reality. It can be summarized as:

"A suburban man hires somebody to mow his lawn. Unfortunately, this particular lawnmower man is a satyr in the service of the Greek god Pan. And Pan requires the occasional… sacrifice."

So you can see why King actually sued to get his name removed from the movie production...

"U.S. District Judge Constance Baker Motley said the only part of the movie taken from King's story is a two-minute scene in which a homeowner is killed by the man who cuts his lawn."
    Last edited by Chimaera; 08-22-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Hero of Algol

Yeah, I'm sure I have worse games. And frankly, if the music is pretty good, I wouldn't mind grabbing a copy.
    If you have the opportunity to grab it for cheap, do it.
    IMO it's more a playable tech demo than anything but it's also for that same reason that it holds some unique value. Its "special stages" implement lots of classic line scrolling, column scrolling and h-int-based tricks.
    The spaceship shooter stages of the MD/GEN version seem to pay homage to Tube Panic (1984):
    See it from 0:55 and on:

From the beginning:

From the beginning:
    Last edited by Barone; 08-21-2016 at 11:36 PM.

The whole thing looks weird and disjointed. Are the "virtual reality" things playable? The side-scrolling segments look half decent. I might have to grab it. I'm sure it is worth just the tech stuff, as Barone mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Actually, the original story had nothing at all to do with virtual reality.
    Fixed! Thanks!

Master of Shinobi

The whole thing looks weird and disjointed. Are the "virtual reality" things playable?
    They are. They're not bad IMO, and they're the main thing where the pacing was improved from the SNES version.

They're hard as hell (tight reflexes required!) but yeah they're good. And you can just use the level select cheat to skip straight to them if that's what you're interested on (and turn on invincibility too, which yes works in those parts as well if you just want to go through them without worrying about dying). Note that you can skip to the next sublevel while paused (forgot which button) even if the level isn't listed, which is how you can skip straight to any VR part.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

5/10? I guess it is average, but I don't know, I kind of like the game... I'd probably call it a bit above average, if just because of the very cool 3d stages with their impressive effects.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    5/10? I guess it is average, but I don't know, I kind of like the game... I'd probably call it a bit above average, if just because of the very cool 3d stages with their impressive effects.
    I don't have a problem with the game at all. In fact I'd have given it higher than 5. I remember playing it in my teens and being blown away by the effects. I'd pick it up as a tech demo as barone says.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    They are. They're not bad IMO, and they're the main thing where the pacing was improved from the SNES version.
    This.
    Also, you can notice they put some effort into the Mega Drive by paying attention to small details like this:

SNES

Mega Drive

The Mega Drive version is using hardware sprite shadows, which are "transparent", while the SNES version has solid black shadows.
    SNES version seems to lack the gun's shadow.

Thread Information