Quantcast

Thread: Quartet

Master System Quartet

As with many of Sega's arcade titles of the '80s, Quartet found its way onto the Master System. There were many changes in the transition, and the popular four-player feature of the original was lost. Still, the version that came home was fun enough to spend an afternoon with, especially with a friend. Read our full review for more details.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

This was the cutting edge two-player game on the market back then. Sure, the four-player mode was lost but this never felt like a port of the arcade game anyway, more like another game in the same universe. It's kind of ridiculous that they changed Mary from Asian to white in the Western versions, though.

I think the 6/10 review score is too low. The write up is good and it doesn't say the game is mediocre but that's what most people will think when they see the number. No one thinks of a 5 as average but as a bare pass.

I was considering giving it a 7, but I thought the loss of so many stages kind of hurt it. I don't mind only two characters or the reduced power-ups, but 4/5 of the game was removed.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    It's kind of ridiculous that they changed Mary from Asian to white in the Western versions, though.
    Still, they had 2 white(or lighter skinned) men, that they cut for a woman and a black man. I always figured a little Sega would have changed the lives of SJWs. Especially if they got to play Phantasy Star, instead of The Legend of Zelda.

That said, I hadn't really played much of either version of this, so I didn't know it was more drastically different than just the cut playable characters.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

This is a cool game that was very enjoyable bitd and for a long time, I had no idea that it was an arcade port. When I finally came across the arcade, I was surprused by how well the SMS vetsion recreates the experience. I remember thinking, "So THATS why they titled it Quartet". So the arcade will always feel like an enhanced version of the SMS game to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I think if the game had been developed for nintendo they wouldn't have let them cut so many stages. I don't think it was nessesary. Guantlet has 100 levels. They just didn't wanna buy a bigger cartridge.

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

I remember the arcade machine caught my attention many years ago. The attract mode was cool to me, and the game was fun to play.

Destroy the boss.
    Only a key opens the door.
    Open the door!

The SMS loses that aspect, as well as the 4 player aspect, but the game is still alright on the SMS.
    Last edited by Bloodreign; 08-29-2016 at 07:33 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

The music for Quartet is pretty rad.
    And Japan PS2 got a 4-player port of the arcade game with Sega Ages 2500 Vol.21

I may have to give this another try but when I played it, it never held my attention and I lost interest pretty quickly. Maybe more playtime would help.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Thread Information