Quantcast

Thread: Any Genesis clones that can possibly be hacked for full 32X-CD functionality?

Sports Talker

Default Any Genesis clones that can possibly be hacked for full 32X-CD functionality?

Any 32X test results with Genesis clones? Wanting to assemble neptune-CD with clones but they seem to lack lots of information and pinout diagrams.

Closest info and tests I've found are Majesco model 3 Genesis which have succeded with 32x functionality. Unfortunately no clear info on sega CD functionality; which appears possible through cartridge-ASIC pins.

Thank you for any help!

Playing it loud! Sports Talker NeoGeo64's Avatar

I, too, have wondered this for many years and haven't been able to find much, if any, information about it on the World Wide Web.

The Scorpion-16 probably could, good luck finding a Scorpion-16 though.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thierry Henry is the expert in this regard. He has a large assortment of MD clones. If he doesn't respond to this thread, message him.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

I am not sure that the clone systems could be modified or hacked to support the 32x and Sega CD add-ons. However, I think that the Nomad and Genesis 3 most likely could be hacked or modified to support the add-ons. It might not look aesthetically pleasing, but I'm sure if there is a will there is a way with those two specific devices, the Nomad and Genesis 3.

Something I don't understand is why clone consoles do not use actual hardware. I'm sure that the chips these days are very cheap and, while it may cost a little more than a system-on-a-chip, you have much better compatibility - actually perfect compatibility - and the ability to do modifications. Systems on a chip suck.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGeo64 View Post
    Something I don't understand is why clone consoles do not use actual hardware. I'm sure that the chips these days are very cheap and, while it may cost a little more than a system-on-a-chip, you have much better compatibility - actually perfect compatibility - and the ability to do modifications. Systems on a chip suck.
    Availability of parts. If the 68SEC000 is still in production, and assuming it's completely compatible, it could do for the CPU, and I believe it's still possible to get Z80 compatible chips too. However, some of the other components would need ASIC or FPGA replacements.

Any Sega Clone from the early days can do it cause they are almost perfect replicas. This guy is a clone modding master:

This one looks like an original beat up MD until he takes it apart

Some other clones form the time:

Outrunner

The most 32x compatible Genesis clone would be the Genesis 2.

The Genesis 2 is not a clone.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Some clone GOACs could support the 32X, but have either no RGB output or unused RGB outputs. GOAC clones with RGB such as those based around the SM801 chipset have RGB outputs that usually go unused in favor of a dedicated S-Video output on the chipset itself. Most GOACs have S-Video, but not RGB, some of which do work with the 32X, such as the TCT6035 and TecToy-580G. The latter is supposed to be RGB-capable, although I haven't actually tried it myself, but I have no information on the former. Probing the chipsets with an oscilloscope should give some clues.
    As for the Sega CD, that might be a bit more doubtful unless the clone in question is based on a discrete chipset. Didn't really look into this and I have absolutely no discrete hardware clones on-hand.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Thierry Henry is the expert in this regard. He has a large assortment of MD clones. If he doesn't respond to this thread, message him.
    That sounded menacing for a second there, thanks to that comma!

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Some clone GOACs could support the 32X, but have either no RGB output or unused RGB outputs. GOAC clones with RGB such as those based around the SM801 chipset have RGB outputs that usually go unused in favor of a dedicated S-Video output on the chipset itself. Most GOACs have S-Video, but not RGB, some of which do work with the 32X, such as the TCT6035 and TecToy-580G. The latter is supposed to be RGB-capable, although I haven't actually tried it myself, but I have no information on the former. Probing the chipsets with an oscilloscope should give some clues.
    As for the Sega CD, that might be a bit more doubtful unless the clone in question is based on a discrete chipset. Didn't really look into this and I have absolutely no discrete hardware clones on-hand.
    Sorry for late reply.

Thanks for the replies to everyone. Thanks for the information Ace. I think using a oscilloscope is too much work for me but who knows...

@Segaedge:
    Those are some crazy looking clones! Too bad there's no reproduction shells for existing genesis owners (model 1, 2 and 3); wouldn't mind professionally neptunizing Model 1 Genesis into some of those shells.

Unfortunately after all the info I've gathered it seems extremely difficult to properly modify any Genesis newer than Model 2's for 32X-CD compatibility. There's still other problems involved like: proper backwards compatibility and 100% consistency with the true original MegaDrive design (unganged stereo volume adjustment and output, serial-ext port and proper Sega Master System compatibility passthrough mode switch for SMS cartridge adapters (higher clocked z80 mode for Game-Gear support and missing Mark 1 VDP functions restored probably be best)).

I'd like to add that the Nomad has been hacked to run with the CD and 32X addons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMMuJZ4rb0I 32X on Nomad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8KIsjyvH-U Sega CD on Nomad

Wildside Expert

I'd like to add that the Nomad has been hacked to run with the CD and 32X addons.

That Nomad 32X is one of the most impressive mods I've ever seen, he really thought of everything. Truly a labor of love to put in that amount of work.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

I don't why but I found the CD video hilirious. Like, "yEA, now take your Nomad AND SEGA CD on the go! (requires 2 ac plugs or 50 batteries)"
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Thread Information