Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mega/Sega CD console prices

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    Eh, it's just a low-end eBay price, even more so after you tack on the ~10 bucks in tax. I don't think it's anything to try to snag right away especially considering he's showing everyone he has at least three copies.
    You could probably do better at auction, but lowest BIN I see right now is $139.99 for a complete genuine US copy. And it looks like you'd have to wait for an auction to pop up. So, that might be the best deal you find for a while if you're serious about it. I mean, it's unappealing to be paying that much for a Sega CD game for some people, but it's not a ridiculous price he's offering, certainly not something to walk out of the store over.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Man $100+ for Bobo Aleste seems crazy, I bet it is partly because of the MUSHA relationship. I wonder if the JP version is worth anywhere near as much too.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Man $100+ for Bobo Aleste seems crazy, I bet it is partly because of the MUSHA relationship. I wonder if the JP version is worth anywhere near as much too.
    i'd honestly be a little surprised if it wasn't; i feel like the days of the import SHMUP being cheaper on gone for most scenes. sadly.
    i dunno how print runs are on stuff like this, but i always wonder how much the bubble bursting will affect this genre in particular.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

what bubble bursting?

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

the one that has even super common stuff on the rise?
    i'm not saying rare titles will crap out, but these prices on mass produced stuff aren't gonna hold forever.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    You could probably do better at auction, but lowest BIN I see right now is $139.99 for a complete genuine US copy. And it looks like you'd have to wait for an auction to pop up. So, that might be the best deal you find for a while if you're serious about it. I mean, it's unappealing to be paying that much for a Sega CD game for some people, but it's not a ridiculous price he's offering, certainly not something to walk out of the store over.
    I don't know... I still think it's a ridiculous price. Not compared to eBay, but the only place that might be more ridiculous than eBay is ShopGoodwill.

Plus, I was going to leave before I asked him about it anyway. :P

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Not quite as much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3223456...&ul_noapp=true
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

*teleports behind u* Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Speedy's Avatar

It's a shame to see the system go up in cost so much; there's a lot of games I wanna play on it but I never pulled the trigger on buying one or those games years ago for some reason, but I know I'm definitely not going to now, at least not on eBay. I can't even tell what a fair price for the system is with all the ridiculous prices for US units, and Japanese ones are even worse.

Sports Talker

There's a few uk sellers asking 100 per faulty model one that's way to much.
    I fixed my last model one for less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    It's a shame to see the system go up in cost so much; there's a lot of games I wanna play on it but I never pulled the trigger on buying one or those games years ago for some reason, but I know I'm definitely not going to now, at least not on eBay. I can't even tell what a fair price for the system is with all the ridiculous prices for US units, and Japanese ones are even worse.
    your opinion is fact? how can you call a price ridiculous?

hell even bending it I could understand someone saying it's ridiculous a football player in the dutch league can earn 1 million euros a year. I can get that. but 100 euros for a console I don't see it

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Kanon's Avatar

I bought my model 2 Sega CD a few months ago for the equivalent of about USD 160 (more like USD 111 if you take into account the import taxes if I buy one online) and I don't feel like the price is THAT high, for what the market is here (Argentina). I think it's unrealistic to expect less than $80 for a system from 25 years ago, that has become a collectible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
    I bought my model 2 Sega CD a few months ago for the equivalent of about USD 160 (more like USD 111 if you take into account the import taxes if I buy one online) and I don't feel like the price is THAT high, for what the market is here (Argentina). I think it's unrealistic to expect less than $80 for a system from 25 years ago, that has become a collectible.
    exactly. a collectibe system that cost 300$ back in the day and may now cost 100$ nothing strange here imo.

good on you for buying one. was sega any popular in argentina?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Kanon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    exactly. a collectibe system that cost 300$ back in the day and may now cost 100$ nothing strange here imo.

good on you for buying one. was sega any popular in argentina?
    Yeap, very, and still is. A lot of clones and pirated carts, though, but still there was a lot of original distribution (we are very close to Brazil). I somehow ended up with a Genesis (Mega Drive was distributed here). Never had the money for a Sega CD back then, so now I'm fulfilling my dream (along with a 32X )

Famicom and Mega Drive are the two most popular game systems ever here and new clones are still on sale all the time.

*teleports behind u* Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Speedy's Avatar

hell even bending it I could understand someone saying it's ridiculous a football player in the dutch league can earn 1 million euros a year. I can get that. but 100 euros for a console I don't see it
    I never said my opinion was fact. It's just my opinion that I think $100 for an add-on too much, especially when the base system can be bought for less than half of that.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I don't know. Paying an athlete one million Euros seems less ridiculous to me than charging 100 Euros for a console. Not only do owners of sports teams have a lot more income to play around with, they are spending this money on people who are there to help them make even more money. That one million Euro investment could help bring back much more than that. Personally, I agree with Speedy that 100 bucks for a Sega CD is pretty ridiculous. It would be more reasonable if it could play games on its own, but it can't. Part of my opinion is probably related to me always trying to find deals, so I find a lot of prices to be ridiculous. I don't see anywhere where he was trying to push his opinion on anyone or anything showing that he thought his opinion was fact though. He has his opinion just as you have yours.

Thread Information