Quantcast

Thread: Do you have to be a Tatsujin to properly appreciate Truxton?

Default Do you have to be a Tatsujin to properly appreciate Truxton?

Not so long ago, I know I've posted here a couple of times that I couldn't get into Tatsujin/Truxton. As someone who started to (re)play games again around 2013 and to develop a passion about STG shortly afterwards, the game was way above my league and I couldn't even get past stage 2!

"Ah it's just another STG with simple visuals etc. There's hundreds of them out there anyway", I thought to myself.

Anyway, after reaching the 3rd loop of Fire Shark/Same!Same!Same! port for the MD ( my first Toaplan clear ) and (now) fully knowing the importance of Toaplan for the STG genre, I felt compelled to give Truxton another go. My idea was to see how far could I get into the game; I wasn't even trying to clear it.

However, after reaching Stage 4, I got totally immersed in it and new a level of appreciation for this game. I've been playing it for a couple of months now; if I have the chance and I'm well rested, I'll sit down and play 1 credit - no more, no less. So far, I can no-miss Stages 1 to 4; Stage 5 is a real onslaught and the ominous music really helps to magnify that feeling. I've reached the last boss and even killed him once, but got hit at the same time...tough luck.

I know that the clear is close, it's just a matter of time and occasion and I feel that I've achieved a new level of understanding of vertical STGs thanks to Tatsujin.

So yeah, screw me. Truxton is awesome.

EDIT: Got it!

starting loop 2:

my final score; died at stage 2:
    Last edited by Bottino; 09-30-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Raging in the Streets

I'm not a big shooter guy, I kinda suck at them actually but I love Truxton, such a great game.

Never played Truxton but having seen comparisons with the arcade it was always one of the more impressive arcade conversions to the Genesis that I've seen.

Even talking about Toaplan titles, I haven't played Grind Stormer either although I know I've heard somewhere the carts have a common inherit flaw? Probably would have been more faithful on the Saturn but the Genesis port always kind of interested me... and even more so if you look at Toaplan's history of games it's as if half their pedigree was left in the arcade (Dogyuun, Tuxton II, bummer).

CORD NAME: BLACK-FIRE Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

I've played Truxton last year, I'm nowhere near good at shmups (love them obviously) but I didn't like it at all.
    Cheap enemies coming from behind (when the visual is cut down from the arcade and you can't see much);
    asteroid field is pretty lame especially since the game has this checkpoint-downgrade system where if you die soon after respawning, you spawn at an even older checkpoint (not to mention, the unupgraded speed of the ship is abysmal so good luck after you get rekt by the asteroids once);
    until the last stage the game is pretty "easy" and too much about memorization and too little about skill;
    the blue shot (the lightning) is the best by the end, but by the end most bullets are of the same color as the blue weapon and I could barely see them.

Those were my general impressions of it, it was pretty much the least rewarding shmup I've played on the console. Even Divine Sealing gave me more satisfaction (ok that's meant to be a joke but it's true haha).

I've only beaten the first loop btw, default settings, but switched it to 50hz as people noted that otherwise it runs too fast (not only the music) when compared to the arcade. Sega Retro also mentions that so I went with 50hz, but I don't think it takes much away from the challenge since it's mostly memorization.
    Since 2014, I livestream a show called Mega Marathon here www.twitch.tv/goati_ and it's about beating every single MD game, all regions, homebrews, unreleased, etc., while being informative.
    With a 68000 heart on fire.

Like most arcade shooters you need some experience to appreciate it imo, otherwise it might be a bit too demanding/frustrating to newcomers.

Truxton is cool, it's classic Toaplan action but it defies some of the genre traditions like staying at the bottom of the screen due to enemies coming from behind often, so you are on your toes all the time. The console ports add that "ring" power-up for the Vulcan so it helps a lot for the enemies coming from behind.
    Last edited by Vludi; 09-25-2016 at 01:33 AM.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    I'm not a big shooter guy, I kinda suck at them actually but I love Truxton, such a great game.
    this! i play SHMUPs casually (never spending enough time to learn patterns & play them right), but Truxton lends itself to casual play quite well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    Like most arcade shooters you need some experience to appreciate it imo, otherwise it might be a bit too demanding/frustrating to newcomers.

Truxton is cool, it's classic Toaplan action but it defies some of the genre traditions like staying at the bottom of the screen due to enemies coming from behind often, so you are on your toes all the time. The console ports add that "ring" power-up for the Vulcan so it helps a lot for the enemies coming from behind.
    Yeah, definitely. And it's not like enemies come from behind you all the time anyway; I remember one particular spot, just before the stage 4 boss, that three zako enemies appears from the bottom of the screen - right - at the moment when the stage music changes to the boss music.

And about the 'ring' of the Vulcan power-up, I think that it was a great touch from Toaplan, something that lends to a much more refined game balance, since you have much less vertical screen space in the MD port when compared to the Arcade original.

Things like that shows carefully planning and dedication from the developers part when making this Arcade conversion, in my view.

Hero of Algol

Bottino, have you tried this on Fire Shark?
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    Just discovered this. (Had never even heard of this kind of trick other than to bypass region lock).
    (1) Run Fire Shark to Title Screen.
    (2) Remove it forcibly (see next) w/o powering off.
    (3) Reset. You must get nothing but a black screen.
    (4) Reinsert it.
    (5) Reset again.
    --- A broken looking Sega logo is acceptable. It actually may be needed to activate the extra difficulty mode but is not to activate the infinite lives.
    (6) Go straight to play.

>>> You will begin in "Normal" (this game usually begins on Easy) with a High Score on Normal (also usually Easy) of 2F8027000 (sic, there's really an 'F'), 3 bombs, and 5 lives that don't decrease. *(There's some instability so far, see below).

Result = Infinite lives. Difficulty = Through the roof! Enemies shoot laser like streams at you and move at extra speed. *(You may only get Infinite lives on Easy, which will be unmistakable for starting you with a full chart of lives and an exceedingly low top score achieved at stage 99).

My suspicion is that this is equivalent to playing a new game after having beaten all 10 loops.

EDIT: Tony H has since made a set of Game Genie codes to replicate this; I've verified them on GensPlusGX. See http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post544160
    He also has numerous other codes for the game here, many of which will be desirable for playing with this difficulty enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    After a little more research, I was able to make a code to adjust the "Berserk" difficulty. So far, I've got every enemy on the screen constantly shooting a solid stream of 8 to 10 shots at a time. Like you mentioned, the shots are so close together, they look connected. I think Berserk mode is a fitting name. :-)

RFGA-A610 +
    GBGA-AAH4
    Super Berserk mode. Makes the game much harder.

RFGA-A610 +
    JBGA-AAH4
    Ultra Berserk mode. Makes the game ultra hard.

As you can see, it takes 2 codes. The first code enables Berserk mode. The second code adjusts the difficulty. You can easily modify the second code to further adjust the difficulty if you want. The "Enable Berserk mode" code by itself uses a difficulty value of 18 (hex). The "Super Berserk mode" code uses a difficulty value of 30 (hex). The "Ultra Berserk mode" code uses a difficulty value of 40 (hex).

About Truxton, people say the difficulty changes a bit when played in Japanese or US mode. Japanese mode is a bit more difficult IIRC.
    Do you know if it's true?

Ha, never knew that such a thing existed for Fire Shark; I will give it a try sometime, even if it's to die almost instantly haha
    Thanks to bringing it to my attention.

About Truxton/Tatsujin, yeah the JP version is indeed harder. It seems to me that Tatsujin starts at the equivalent of rank 2 in Truxton.

The Euro version is the easiest, when played at 50hz, since the bullets speed and overall pace of the game are slower when compared to the other two game regions.

Toaplan MD shooters are known for being harder on the JP version, most of their arcades too

I like Truxton but the sound is awful.:louco:

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    I thought you were a woman

Thread Information