Quantcast

Thread: OutRun (Master System)

Master System OutRun (Master System)

Sega's classic racer zoomed onto the Master System in 1987 in a port that managed to capture the magic of the arcade original, despite the downgrade in hardware. Though outclassed by its Genesis and Saturn siblings, the 8-bit version of the game is still well worth playing, and it shows how well Sega's arcade titles could transfer to the Master System. Read the full review for more details.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Outrun has a nice FM version of the soundtrack.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Road Rasher

it does indeed black tiger

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Nicely written, though I'm not sure of the criticisms of the FM BGM.

One unfortunate omission from the review is the failure to mention the support for analog control via the Sega Paddle Controller. This is no small ommision in 2016. Analog steering for a home version of Outrun from 1987 is a pretty big deal. I recognize not many people have ability to utilize the analog steering, however it is glaring to not speak of it when trying to highlight the game's significance.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

My buddy recently bought a lot of gaming stuff off a guy, and it included a CIB Master System which he wasn't interested in, so he hooked me up with it. Sadly, the console was dead, but I have another anyway, so no big deal. It did include all the controllers and paperwork though, and in the stack of manuals was this form to order a sweet Outrun drivers license and swag. I'd never seen it or any of the stuff in the offer before, so I thought I'd share.

Awesome! Sega Tonka logo i never had seen this.
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Don´t let Wii die!!!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Centrale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Talmit View Post
    One unfortunate omission from the review is the failure to mention the support for analog control via the Sega Paddle Controller. This is no small ommision in 2016. Analog steering for a home version of Outrun from 1987 is a pretty big deal. I recognize not many people have ability to utilize the analog steering, however it is glaring to not speak of it when trying to highlight the game's significance.
    I've heard that the Paddle Controller only works with the Japanese Master System/Mark III. The western version of the SMS won't register it. As for the Out Run cartridge itself, I'm not sure if only the Japanese version has code to support the Paddle or if that's in all versions.

*OutRun Licence not valid on Sega Genesis*

Out Run has some super jerky-ass hills that nobody ever seems to mention. Rad Racer and every other racing game on the NES has silky smooth hills, but Yuji Naka didn't have the smarts to figure out how to do them on the SMS. Maybe the NES was actually more powerful?

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Maybe the NES was actually more powerful?
    Wash your mouth out !

Didn’t find the hills too bad, they seem helluva lot worse on the Game Gear version.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Out Run has some super jerky-ass hills that nobody ever seems to mention. Rad Racer and every other racing game on the NES has silky smooth hills, but Yuji Naka didn't have the smarts to figure out how to do them on the SMS. Maybe the NES was actually more powerful?
    NES' Rad Racer had an add-on chip called Datenhill MAX PLUS or someting like that. They considered using it to downport Greendog but the cost of the chip deterred them from doing so.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Thread Information