Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: M.U.G.E.N for SEGA Megadrive

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert bertodecosta's Avatar

Default M.U.G.E.N for SEGA Megadrive

From Gamopat forum : M.U.G.E.N Project for SEGA Megadrive

For who didn't know, M.U.G.E.N is a freeware 2D fighting game engine designed by Elecbyte.
    All contents (fighters, bgms, stages) are created by the community.

Follow the development here : Gamopat

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

That's quite an undertaking.

An intuitive 2D Fighting Engine like MUGEN for the Mega Drive would be GOLD!!!

EDIT:
    There's a Engine very intuitive made to easily create Text/Graphic Adventures to the Mega Drive. Made by a brazilian, is strangely very popular in Russian homebrew scene and almost unknow:
    http://emulation.at.ua/publ/developi...udio/11-1-0-71
    Theres a alpha engine for create RPGs to the Mega Drive made by Haroldo O. Pinheiro, the same guy that create GINCS.
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 12-22-2016 at 08:36 AM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Nice project, especially if it's as easily moddable as the PC version although I assume this will need additional quirks. I wonder if it's possible to do something similar with an opensource beat 'em up engine like OpenBOR?
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

video won't load for me, but considering ive got like a 4 gig cart in my mega everdrive and not even a quarter of that is used: shit yes please bring this over and ill download every character pack ever

WCPO Agent

No, it won't likely be so easy.

I'll communicate on that later, but it's not my main project for now

My goal is to have a vs fighting engine that makes game development for MD easier. It won't ever be able to handle all of MUGEN stuff, but I want it to be as close as possible, so you can adapt a ressource with minimal efforts. But it won't be as easy as using MUGEN for PC, I don't even know if it's possible. My main concern is "ROM" size. It'll have to use some kind of banking, or Everdrive capabilities. I didn't investigate yet...

For information, for the moment, I can import a sff file (sprites ressources), an air file (animations), and I'm trying to write a "compiler" of cns (state machine description) file.

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    No, it won't likely be so easy.

I'll communicate on that later, but it's not my main project for now

My goal is to have a vs fighting engine that makes game development for MD easier. It won't ever be able to handle all of MUGEN stuff, but I want it to be as close as possible, so you can adapt a ressource with minimal efforts. But it won't be as easy as using MUGEN for PC, I don't even know if it's possible. My main concern is "ROM" size. It'll have to use some kind of banking, or Everdrive capabilities. I didn't investigate yet...

For information, for the moment, I can import a sff file (sprites ressources), an air file (animations), and I'm trying to write a "compiler" of cns (state machine description) file.
    I will love it... and maybe i can do a proper kof port for MD (i'm a dreamer i know)

but i hope that your main project thats you talking about is Shinobi
    Shinobi for great justice !!!!!!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Just looks like someone has read our thread on here from ages ago about porting the MUGEN engine to the SGDK but as Steph rightly says in the thread he doesn't think the SGDK is really cut out for it

WCPO Agent

It isn't really a matter of language. Strictly speaking, it's not aimed to be a MUGEN port.

MUGEN is like an interpreted language : the engine reads various script files and, on-the-fly, executes them to make you play the game. It is the very same program that runs, for every mugen game. Only the scripts define the game.

Here, I want to make a "compiled language" : a Python program would run accross the MUGEN scripts and will genrate a bunch of C files that SGDK can turn into a ROM. Mugen is quite a basic language, so the "compilation" should be easy. There's still a VS fighting game engine to code, but it's doable since we have SF2 (and it's likely poorly coded).

What you see in the video in the 1st message was a test to see if it's possible to animate 2 characters with arcade resolution (not exactly arcade : CPS2 is 384x224 while MD is 320x224, so I used a resize filter to have a 5/6 width to keep aspect ratio. But the source material was from arcade). The answer is yes, we can even animate 4 chars !

BTW the resize filter was a custom one, designed to keep better details than nearest neighbor. This part of the test wasn't conclusive though (but I have other ideas to implement).

@Pyron : yes

It isn't really a matter of language. Strictly speaking, it's not aimed to be a MUGEN port.

MUGEN is like an interpreted language : the engine reads various script files and, on-the-fly, executes them to make you play the game. It is the very same program that runs, for every mugen game. Only the scripts define the game.

Here, I want to make a "compiled language" : a Python program would run accross the MUGEN scripts and will genrate a bunch of C files that SGDK can turn into a ROM. Mugen is quite a basic language, so the "compilation" should be easy. There's still a VS fighting game engine to code, but it's doable since we have SF2 (and it's likely poorly coded).

What you see in the video in the 1st message was a test to see if it's possible to animate 2 characters with arcade resolution (not exactly arcade : CPS2 is 384x224 while MD is 320x224, so I used a resize filter to have a 5/6 width to keep aspect ratio. But the source material was from arcade). The answer is yes, we can even animate 4 chars !

BTW the resize filter was a custom one, designed to keep better details than nearest neighbor. This part of the test wasn't conclusive though (but I have other ideas to implement).

@Pyron : yes
    Yeah I totally understand You'll have to write a complete development shell that allows anyone to use it and then compiles everything and outputs it as a rom. I guess you could potentially get a very crude version of Street Fighter Alpha, etc. It'll be nice to show people proof of concepts

WCPO Agent

As I told, it's not my main project for now. But yes, I intend to show something when I'd have implemented some moves. The minus of this kind of project is that many things must be implemented before it's barely showable. The good thing is, since most of the game mechanics lie in mugen scripts, it should be (relatively) quick after that.

As I told, it's not my main project for now. But yes, I intend to show something when I'd have implemented some moves. The minus of this kind of project is that many things must be implemented before it's barely showable. The good thing is, since most of the game mechanics lie in mugen scripts, it should be (relatively) quick after that.
    Yeah once you've hooked it all together (which is going to take a good deal of time) it'll work nicely!

great!
    OFF: any news or any video from the shinobi port?
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

WCPO Agent

It was in my answer to Pyron : I'm currently reworking on Shinobi. I'll use the improvements I've made to my game engine (especially the optimizations for the demo above) to have something that runs at decent speed when there are more than 3 characters onscreen : up to now, I had loss of framerates, and glitches when more than 4. I think I can climb to 4 chars with no loss, with projectiles. I'll also make some common ennemies static (ie always all tiles in VRAM) to get to 6/7 chars onscreen (which should be more than sufficient).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert bertodecosta's Avatar

Another MUGEN project done for SEGA Genesis.

http://devster.proboards.com/thread/...scrollTo=12998

Thread Information