Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Double Dragon 4 is announced and it's shit

Default Double Dragon 4 is announced and it's shit

A terrible mismatch of NES DD2 sprites with 16-bit style backgrounds. I've seen better looking flash games.
    The teaser also fails to mention Return of Double Dragon AKA the real DD4 AKA the last good DD game.
    I am tired of ArcSys ruining the Technos Japan legacy. First Kunio, now this. I mean I was happy when they had acquired the rights because you know Guilty Gear was among the best 2D brawlers. But I didn't expect them to be so cheap while the latest GG Xrd seems to have really high production values.

Master of Shinobi EclecticGroove's Avatar

If it hadn't had the title, I would have assumed it was a shitty filter applied on top of one of the original games.

I mean, at least it didn't go the shitty generic 3D sprite route, but I don't see why they bothered with this if they were not going to put in more effort.

Why on Earth would they bring back platforming sections when everybody hated them the first time around in DD2?
    Review in Progress -

Next on the Review List -

Currently Playing For the Beat 'Em All List -

It doesn't blow me away but I'll check it out when it's released. I agree that it would be nice to see a more modern style sequel though but alas the NES and 8 bit in general is all the rage now so that is what it is going to be!
    Submitted:
    Game Gear:
    Chuck Rock
    Fifa International Soccer

Sega Master System:
    Alex Kidd In Shinobi World
    Fire & Ice
    Great Golf

Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Formerly known as 5233 Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I was never a big fan of the series, so thankfully I'll be OK.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

1) Design crappy, half baked 2D game

2) Pixellate/reduce color

3) Call it a NES game

4) Profit

I'm waiting for the special collector's edition with DL code inside a fake NES cart with some collectable cards and poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Swing swords like shinobi Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

damn, i thought it looked alright? the series teetered off towards the end anyway, but i hear Neon was fantastic. shame we don't get more of that, but this looks like it could be fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Assault9 View Post
    Why on Earth would they bring back platforming sections when everybody hated them the first time around in DD2?
    yeah see those were always my least favorite parts, so we'll see how far i get in this one.

They're trying to make an NES throwback, yet it's in 16x9 (and likely at 1080p, so the pixels won't be actual pixels). The backgrounds don't even match the NES sprites, and the backgrounds look more like Game Boy Color graphics than NES ones. It reeks of laziness, or incompetence.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I misread the title as "it's the shit" and then I saw what it was and I was thinking, "are you kidding me, this is terrible, the worst kind of cheap nostalgia pandering." Then I realized you just said "shit" and everything was right with the world again.

I'm honestly not a big fan of Arc System Works. I wouldn't say they were overrated but their games have never really resonated with me personally. Still I've admired their style and their skill and would have at least expected some excellent HD 2D graphics and not a game with NES sprites. I get Double Dragon 2 NES is a favorite for a lot of people but I see Double Dragon as an arcade franchise first and foremost. Either do something completely new like Neon did or if you want to be nostalgic at least go for the arcade style and make something like Double Dragon Advance which was an amazing remake.

But I guess with people losing their minds over stuff like the NES Classic mini they know it's hot to market NES nostaglia right now so why not go the cheap and easy route? It's almost hard to blame them for being so lazy.

Double Dragon isn't a franchise that I'm into all that much but it's a shame to see it go this route when they could do much cooler stuff with it like they did with Neon (love or hate that game you have to admit they at least tried).

I mean is it wrong to get Neo-Geo/CPS1 or 2 level graphics? I'm so sick and tired of these retro NES style graphics. THere are some things that I wish would just stay in the 80s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I guess it could be worse. At least it's actually getting a game for its 30th anniversary.

Wildside Expert

Arcade Double Dragon holds a special place in my memory and heart. It was one of the first arcade game I got good at (couldn't 1cc still, that damn final boss). I was blown away by the amount of moves, both for players and enemies (even if you could elbow-cheese the game). Sound effects and musics were top notch.

NES DD1 and 2, while fun on their own (2 especially, 1 is meh), are entirely different games. Arcade was all about big sprites, bright colors, and loud effects.

The fact that this DD4 uses NES grade esthetics because MUH NES RETRO hype is a huge disappointment.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Tower of Power's Avatar

Looks pretty neat to me. There have been other modern sequels to Double Dragon, to mixed success. It'll be interesting to see them try a new approach, I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Master of Shinobi EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    Looks pretty neat to me. There have been other modern sequels to Double Dragon, to mixed success. It'll be interesting to see them try a new approach, I'm interested to see how this turns out.
    Given who the game is being made by, I would have expected a game with GG style sprite work with large detailed characters and interesting stages. Maybe not as large as GG since it's not the same kind of game, but close.
    And a heavy metal inspired re-imaging of the original games soundtracks + some new tunes.

All of that sounds very interesting to me, so long as they got the gameplay done well.

What is shown off here looks like people saw the NES mini selling like hotcakes, wanted to cash in on it quick, and the roulette wheel of "what to whore out" landed on DD.

It might play well, and I hope it does. But it's a blatant cash grab in an attempt to make a quick buck on the NEStalgia boom that the NES Mini has kicked up.

It simply could have been a much better and more interesting game than what this is.

I don't care for sequels 26 years later, when there even was a double dragon v.
    I guess could be worse and just be called double dragon.
    Also, if there were going to reuse sprites, why wouldn't it be from the arcade version?

Double Dragon: Neon had the right idea.

Thread Information