Quantcast

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Take your Genesis audio to the next level - The Mega Amp 2.0 is here!

Ok so that all confusion is done with the schematic and images is this what you mentioned when skipping the transistor circuit for the VA0,VA1,VA1.8:

Also those are the pass through points in the schematic which connect to the B27 and A27 which I wrote in red? If so you should add a note that is what the Pass Through is for less confusion.

Also C18 an C19 is optional but on the Mini schematics it's part of the circuit and on the TDA1308 and is not present on the TL074, is this correct for the Pro?
    Last edited by Helder; 01-03-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Yep, that's correct. I'll see about properly fitting in an extra note into the Mega Amp 2.0 Pro schematics noting to not build the transistor circuit on VA0/VA1/VA1.8 Model 2 boards and instead directly connect the outputs from the first two op-amps of the TL074.

Really, though, the note should be added only to the ASIC YM3438 schematics as that's what the VA0/VA1/VA1.8 Model 2 boards use for FM audio.

EDIT: Updated the ASIC YM3438 schematics to indicate the exact circuit to omit on VA0/VA1/VA1.8 Genesis Model 2s and explicitly state to directly connect the audio from the TL074 to the indicated expansion port pins.
    Last edited by Ace; 01-03-2017 at 08:19 PM.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Also C18 an C19 is optional but on the Mini schematics it's part of the circuit and on the TDA1308 and is not present on the TL074/TL072, is this correct for the Pro?

Aw crap, I forgot to update those schematics to 2000pF as 2200pF is a bit too muffled.

Regardless, those capacitors are Mega Amp 2.0 Pro-specific and are used for the full-filtered setup where the Sega CD pass-through is unfiltered, but the audio output from the console is filtered in its entirety. In a mixed filtered setup, the TL074 gets 180pF filter capacitors while the TDA1308 gets nothing.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Ok so filtered configuration gets the optional caps and unfiltered doesn't? What kind of sound would you get if you used the caps with unfiltered configuration?

You mean C18 and C19 present with C7 and C8 both 27pF? You will get unfiltered audio from the Sega CD expansion port and filtered sound from the console's A/V output. This is my recommended Mega Amp 2.0 Pro setup as the user will have the choice to use filtered or unfiltered sound in the same circuit.

In essence, the setups you want are one of these three:

-C7 and C8 are 180pF, C18 and C19 omitted (mixed filtered)
    -C7 and C8 are 27pF, C18 and C19 omitted (full unfiltered)
    -C7 and C8 are 27pF, C18 and C19 included (full filtered - this is the one I recommend)

I also plan on putting together an audio dongle that plugs into the Sega CD slot for those who don't have a Sega CD to be able to use the unfiltered audio as well as the filtered audio through the system itself.
    Last edited by Ace; 01-04-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Good to hear, I look forward to seeing what you have in store with the designs. Thanks for the responses also as I'm sure this will help others in building the circuit too.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

So I guess this can be done without a board but the results are kinda of ehh....

It's like some kinda of circuit mold.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

*teleports behind u* Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Speedy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    So I guess this can be done without a board but the results are kinda of ehh....

It looks like someone barfed up electrical components.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Wow, what kind of sauce do you put onto that spaghetti. Got to like anything that uses duct tape.

Red Green: The handyman's secret weapon - duct tape.

Edit: Okay ha-ha one more. Better put the shell top back on.. a bird might come by and try to nest in it.
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 01-06-2017 at 10:25 AM.

You really shouldn't try to do anything like that. It looks ugly as hell and I'd imagine it'd be a nightmare to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. At the very least, put the circuit on perfboard.

You MacGiver'd your Genesis.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

I didn't do jack lol, I just simply googled 'Sega Genesis Amp' and I'm not sure if it's the same person but there both from Sega-16 :O
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

2/10. Needs way more hot glue.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I think TmEE made that.

Any word on production Mega Amp 2.0 boards? I need one for my Genesis 2 VA2.

Thread Information