Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Cassette Vision is overpowered

Default Super Cassette Vision is overpowered

I mean seriously, this is a console from the Famicom era (not even NES):

Kind of cheating since this thing adds a bit more of RAM... but not much (stock console only has 128 bytes, this expands it to 8 KB (on cartridge) which is what Master System had as well as some NES games, probably most SCV games would have gone that route too if the console had lasted longer). But doesn't change the fact the video hardware looks to be a beast at sprites O_O

Wishing the console had more than one sound channel though >_> (even the Atari 2600 did better here, jeez!)

EDIT: huh reading at some Japanese doc and apparently there was an official cartridge that also added 8KB of SRAM (probably why it's emulated) so I guess it's not even cheating =P
    Last edited by Sik; 01-23-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Truly awesome! Thanks for sharing this. I've wondered if there was a homebrew scene for SCV.
    It might be useful for those interested or for future searches if you renamed the thread to reflect what the content actually is: "Cho Ren Sha 68k on Super Cassette Vision"
    I would love to have this on cart!

I see there's also a recent port of Super Mario Bros. on SVC

SCV would certainly benefit from an expansion offering more sound channels.

Road Rasher

Didnt know there was a homebrew scene for the SCV, thats really cool!. Now if only there was an Everdrive type flashcart for it...

So the SCV does most of its display with sprites,right?, kinda like the Neo Geo?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The Super Cassette Vision is not the same as Cassette Vision. Super Cassette Vision was released in 1984, the year before Sega Mark III and the year after the Famicom launched. It's an 8-bit generation console, which is why it seems much more like a Famicom than a 2600.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The Super Cassette Vision is not the same as Cassette Vision. Super Cassette Vision was released in 1984, the year before Sega Mark III and the year after the Famicom launched. It's an 8-bit generation console, which is why it seems much more like a Famicom than a 2600.
    Your post reads like a correction, but I'm not sure whom you're correcting.

BTW as I understand it, the Super Cassette Vision was the first-ever console to have a commercially released game cartridge with battery backup (Dragon Slayer), in 1986. The ColecoVision had one in development that didn't make it to market (Lord of the Dungeon), and the Famicom had a programming cart with battery backup (Family BASIC) but no game carts per se until later.

Quote Originally Posted by saturndual32 View Post
    So the SCV does most of its display with sprites,right?, kinda like the Neo Geo?
    Seems to be so, there's quite a few parallels to be made actually: there's a text layer, but it's mostly useless since it doesn't scroll, always shows on top of sprites, you can't flip tiles, and there's a single color for the whole thing. So this means the game area is pretty much going to be entirely made out of sprites and the text layer is relegated to HUD and menus.

On the other hand sprites... oh boy where do I start. I don't want to talk about the specs since I'm still trying to understand some of the parts, but sprites can be up to 3232 (for context, NES and Master System only do 816 at most). Yeah those are single color (there are multicolor sprites but they're smaller), but you can probably get away with doing most stuff as single color and a few important sprites as multicolor (like in that Mario homebrew).

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    BTW as I understand it, the Super Cassette Vision was the first-ever console to have a commercially released game cartridge with battery backup (Dragon Slayer), in 1986. The ColecoVision had one in development that didn't make it to market (Lord of the Dungeon), and the Famicom had a programming cart with battery backup (Family BASIC) but no game carts per se until later.
    Huh, the doc I was reading also made a reference to some BASIC thing (just did a quick search, seems to be BASIC Nyuumon), so that makes it two cartridges with extra RAM. Now I wonder if there are more, I guess it makes sense to not provide much RAM if games themselves were expected to provide it (the 128 bytes of internal RAM seem to be in the CPU itself, in fact).

EDIT: typo
    Last edited by Sik; 01-24-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Seems to be so, there's quite a few parallels to be made actually: there's a text layer, but it's mostly useless since it doesn't scroll, always shows on top of sprites, you can't flip tiles, and there's a single color for the whole thing. So this means the game area is pretty much going to be entirely made out of sprites and the text layer is relegated to HUD and menus.

On the other hand sprites... oh boy where do I start. I don't want to talk about the specs since I'm still trying to understand some of the parts, but sprites can be up to 3232 (for context, NES and Master System only do 816 at most). Yeah those are single color (there are multicolor sprites but they're smaller), but you can probably get away with doing most stuff as single color and a few important sprites as multicolor (like in that Mario homebrew).
    So it should be capable of doing a kickass version of Robotron, hehe.

I have been hunting for a copy of Y2 Monster Land for a while for this system with no success. Seems like its answer to Super Mario Bros with a very cool Halloween atmosphere, and some pretty cool sprites.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

reference to some BASIC thing (just did a quick search, seems to be BASIC Nyuumon), so that makes it two cartridges with extra RAM. Now I wonder if there are more, I guess it makes sense to not provide much RAM if games themselves were expected to provide it (the 128 bytes of internal RAM seem to be in the CPU itself, in fact).
    There are three:
    Pop & Chips (cart #16, 1985)
    Dragon Slayer (cart #21, 1986)
    Basic Nyuumon (cart #23, 1986) aka Introduction to Basic (the Japanese seller I purchased this from had it listed as "Super Basic Programming")

edit, correction and added video
    here a good video showing gameplay samples of most of the actual games on the system
    Last edited by Prince Talmit; 01-24-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Road Rasher

I like the system, but is it really ok to say it was overpowered?

It came out about a year after the Famicom and the Famicom seems like a better all around system. The SCV seems designed with games from the previous era in mind, and seems to struggle doing the sort of games that were popular on the Famicom years (games with more complex scrolling backgrounds). It loses to the FC in all the games they share or that are comparable: Mappy, Sky Kid, Kung Fu Road, Pops and Chips, Golf, Baseball, etc. Maybe they were using smaller ROMs in comparison or just less competent devs. Games that cater to the SCV hold up pretty well though, like Star Speeder.

Also the soundchip is unexcusable when compared with the FC and contemporaries. The SCV shares some similarities with the Atari 7800 in that it uses the same soundchip from its predecesor (Atari 2600 and Epoch Cassette Vision), and have great sprite capabilities, but arent on the FC level when it comes to moving backgrounds.

I really wish there was a way to try those homebrew on real hardware.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Your post reads like a correction, but I'm not sure whom you're correcting.

"Pre-NES" doesn't make it overpowered. It's underpowered for the time. If it was released back when the Cassette Vision launched, then it would stand out.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Um guys? I don't think the NES can easily pull off that kind of parallax nor those large enemies (definitely not at the same time). Not to mention the beast it becomes in that bullet hell phase of that boss O.O That's definitely pretty ridiculous for a console of that era.

The SCV shares some similarities with the Atari 7800 in that it uses the same soundchip from its predecesor (Atari 2600 and Epoch Cassette Vision)
    Huuuuh the Cassette Vision only included the PSU and the controllers, the rest of the hardware was on the cartridges themselves so it could easily change from game to game (・ω・`) (not sure if they actually did it though)

Maybe they were using smaller ROMs in comparison or just less competent devs.
    Honestly I do get the impression the devs weren't exactly the best ones around. Small ROMs may have been a problem too (though Famicom was getting 16KB at the time too), although the small amount of RAM definitely is crap. But three cartridges already include their own RAM so maybe that's what they were planning to do in the long term.

Road Rasher

Huuuuh the Cassette Vision only included the PSU and the controllers, the rest of the hardware was on the cartridges themselves so it could easily change from game to game (・ω・`) (not sure if they actually did it though)
    Oops, you are correct, my bad. I dont know where i got that from, hehe.

The Mario guy is back at it:

Looks a tad glitchy though. At least it's a whole world.

The sprites and overall performance are quite impressive, I want an 8-bits Cho ren sha now...

Road Rasher

The Mario guy is back at it:

Looks a tad glitchy though. At least it's a whole world.
    Nice. Game physics seems closer to the original than most clones of the game.

Thread Information