Quantcast

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Sega Saturn had only 2 excellent titles?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I brought up its Redbook Audio. Yeah, when Jacky does his round house kick, the sound goes around the room (using Pro-Logic receiver) like a giant tidal wave.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    The low-polygon count isn't really a strike against the 32x version (unless it actually bothers someone; I think it looks nice). It's not a problem because the whole point of VF isn't about polygons lol. It's about people wearing sensors on their bodies to create the models and movements of the fighters.
    The whole point of Virtua Fighter was to showcase their 3D hardware (at least on arcades).

But yeah, honestly the lo-poly models look better (there, I said it). The lighting is a lot less harsh on those and as I mentioned there are many less sorting problems from small polygons constantly switching places. Would have been nice to get other patterns for the ring floor (even if still much less detailed than the arcade), but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    And I do own both versions of Virtua Fighter. The 32X version of VF feels sluggish and the game runs @30 fps at best. The Saturn version is a silky smooth 60.
    32X version runs at 20FPS I think. It seems to be a hard limitation of whatever 3D code they used, all the 32X games with untextured polygons cap at 20FPS (though for the most part, they stick to that framerate).

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I'm not sure if VF32X even has a real light source for flat shading. The models may have so few polygons that changes in shade are hard to catch, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just change shade slightly as part of their animations. The end result is much less 3D looking models and harder to discern animations.
    They do have a light source (the shading depends on the camera angle), though it's probably palette based (i.e. increase or decrease the color index) instead of RGB. Now, Virtua Racing 32X definitely doesn't have any lighting at all (the wheels spin only 1/8 of a circle to give the impression of shading, but that hack aside everything remains a fixed color).

Raging in the Streets

20fps for a 32X isnt bad, those Super FX SNES games run at what? 6?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    20fps for a 32X isnt bad, those Super FX SNES games run at what? 6?
    Yeah, it's very impressive and looks great on its own, but if hairs are being split over a minor graphical detail in the Saturn version, the 32X visuals are much more imperfect and actually affect the gameplay. The extra variety of modes is nice, but I don't think that most people, hardcore Sega fans or normies, would insist that the 32X version is the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Except people for the most part absolutely hate the Saturn port (not the remix, which is considered what it should have been in the first place). Then again if you're going to get that nitpicky over visuals you'd insist that anything that isn't the arcade is shit.

The problem with the first Saturn port isn't that visuals aren't perfect, it's that the polygons look glitchy as heck which is a whole different kind of problem. People are going to be way more forgiving to simplified graphics than to glitchy graphics.

From what I know...

Saturn port: downgraded visuals but faithful gameplay to the arcade
    32x: much downgraded visuals but tighter controls than Arcade/Saturn
    Remix: improved graphics and controls over arcade/saturn original

The arcade original runs at 30 fps, for the ports I'm not sure but I think Saturn+remix are 30 fps too.
    Last edited by Vludi; 02-06-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Oh yes, I missed this the first time. You're right, Irish Ninja, it was truly an exciting time for Arcade fans. Of which I was one (but really, who wasn't back then? Arcades were king, and we were finally getting a true taste of Arcades at home). Just to be able to finally be able to play a game like Daytona USA with a Steering Wheel in the comfort of my own home all summer vacation was a dream come true. This was also back when I also forgot exactly what the Arcade version looked like, so to me the original Saturn port looked spot on to where I was 100% satisfied. Wasn't until I read more gaming magazines bring up this port and when I finally seen the Arcade again that I learned words frame rate and pop ups/draw distance. Though I wouldn't be more familiar with frame rate differences until much later in life (today's gaming). So yeah, virgin eyes worked wonders back then too, something that's good to keep in mind during the start of the 3D gaming era.
    yeah, like PS2/xbox/GC gen was cool but 32-bit gen was absolutely magical. ive loved finally diving into the saturn's library these last 5 years or so, but at the time, the combination of FF VII's announcement & seeing Resident Evil pushed me over the edge, personally. looking back, you couldn't go wrong with either of em.

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    From what I know...

Saturn port: downgraded visuals but faithful gameplay to the arcade
    32x: much downgraded visuals but tigher controls than Arcade/Saturn
    Remix: improved graphics and controls over arcade/saturn original

The arcade original runs at 30 fps, for the ports I'm not sure but I think Saturn+remix are 30 fps too.
    If the Saturn/Arcade versions run at 30fps and the 32X version runs at 20fps, it shouldn't have tighter controls.

AM2 has made a big deal about not compromising on 60fps for Virtua Fighter games ever since VF2. It was the excuse for not supporting online play in the PS3 version of VF5.

Dropping from 30 to 20fps in a game designed around 30fps should only affect the gameplay in a negative way, unless they re-balanced it so that it plays differently and it is actually a unique VF game.

AM2 has always talked about response time being priceless. Even if VF32X invisibly plays at 30fps behind the visuals, the player will still be relying on visuals which are out of sync with the gameplay.
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Improving the gameplay mechanics such as controls/combo system work independently if the game has lower frame-rate or not, but I suppose the difference in frame-rate would act as a tradeoff anyway.
    Anyway, I think we need more info about 32x port's framerate first.

Well, I went recheck in Fusion with framestep and I stand corrected: Virtua Fighter 32X does indeed run at 30FPS. Go me x_x

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    Improving the gameplay mechanics such as controls/combo system work independently if the game has lower frame-rate or not, but I suppose the difference in frame-rate would act as a tradeoff anyway.
    Anyway, I think we need more info about 32x port's framerate first.
    The game cuts out half of the frames of animation. The jump heights are also reduced.

It was quite jarring to go from playing the Saturn version to playing the game on the 32X. The 32X does an admirable job of mimicking the gameplay of the arcade game, but there's no way I will ever think it's as good as the Saturn version, warts and all. It's like going from playing Ultimate MK3 on the Saturn and then playing MK2 on the SNES.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Reducing the jumps isn't necessarily bad, it was way too high in the original lol.

Hearing about some of the changes makes the 32X version more interesting to me. I'm definitely going to compare all versions once I have time to play them seriously.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

then your best of to play virtua fighter remix

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Saturn has Bulk Slash. Whoever said that can fuck right off.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thread Information