Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Definitive Saturn 'Best Games' Thread

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Is there a good racing game on the Saturn that has more depth than F1, Daytona or Sega Rally? I love the arcade racing in those, but I'd like to play for the console that is more along the lines of Super Monaco GP as far as having a season mode, pit stops, more than just a handful of tracks, et cetera.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

There's NASCAR 98, but the better version is on the PlayStation.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Is there a good racing game on the Saturn that has more depth than F1, Daytona or Sega Rally? I love the arcade racing in those, but I'd like to play for the console that is more along the lines of Super Monaco GP as far as having a season mode, pit stops, more than just a handful of tracks, et cetera.
    Andretti Racing is for you then , get over the Gfx and its a really deep game. Also Need for Speed, Shutokou Battle '97, Touge King the Spirits 2 are really good and VR Racing isn't that bad either
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Andretti Racing is for you then , get over the Gfx and its a really deep game. Also Need for Speed, Shutokou Battle '97, Touge King the Spirits 2 are really good and VR Racing isn't that bad either
    Andretti for Saturn has a cheat menu that lets you play longer races up to 99 laps. I don't think the Playstation version has that option. If you want realism, set the laps higher to test your endurance.

I also really like King the Spirits 2. Great graphics and excellent two player mode. Nissan GTR is also fun though I prefer the USA version of the game.

For a different twist on racing, try Tactics Formula:

This is like a computer version of the old Avalon Hill boardgame, Le Mans. Besides computer opponents and car setups, it adds the fourth dimension (time) to the gameplay. If you like boardgames then it's worth a look. When I was a kid, we visited a distant aunt that did not have a television. She did have a closet of old games from the 60's and Le Mans was one of them. I had never played a boardgame that didn't rely on dice to determine how far you moved before. In fact, I had never played any boardgames that I really enjoyed before this one. We were playing Le Mans with six players which is easy when there are a bunch of kids. Much harder to do as an adult but with Tactics Formula, you get computer opponents. You can play up to four human players, if you got 'em.
    Last edited by Bones Justice; 03-03-2017 at 02:03 AM.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Wipeout and Wipeout XL would fit that description. The original is actually superior (I think) to the PS1 version because you don't lose all your speed if you touch a wall. Both games run at 20 fps on the Saturn vs 30 on the PS1 though if that's a dealbreaker. I've been playing the original on the Saturn for years and still have barely scratched the surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Thread Information