Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: finding secret character in X-MEN

Banned by Administrators

Attachment doesn't work. I mean, do they ever?

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    There's only like 2 of them on the stage, and they also spawn bees, which hit you all the time.
    That's another reason to take those suckers out. Once you kill the hive, you get a power-up and the bees stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    *blinks at this thread*

There's more depth to this game than I could have ever thought o.o
    Yeah, that's because you have control over like nine X-Men characters that all play differently. Plus, they did a really good job of staying true to the characters. You have to use their powers judiciously or they can run out, too. The second game (Clone Wars) is good, too, but you can basically tear through it because you have almost unlimited powers, which is not true to the comics or the television show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I love the fact that this thread has so much detailed discussion about how to find an alleged secret character.
    Busted. But hey, it's a really cool action-adventure game. And it really would be cool if there is a secret character somehow.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Late to the party, but I never expected general game discussion on this side of the board.

I'd be on top of trying to figure this thing out if it was Archangel instead of Storm . (probably too much physical range with the wings)

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    Forge, Beast, and Psylocke have a cameo in the game after the Danger Room is reset. Too bad they were not playable though I'm not sure how they could have given Forge an accurate power.
    Well, he does know Shaman magic. Otherwise I imagine he'd just pull out a big gun and shoot a massive projectile or something. As a character though, he just has too much Deus Ex Machina potential, so I understand why writers don't use him too often(the Legacy virus era, among anything else Beast ever tried to solve, would have been over way too soon if he was on finding the cure).

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    Late to the party, but I never expected general game discussion on this side of the board.

I'd be on top of trying to figure this thing out if it was Archangel instead of Storm . (probably too much physical range with the wings)
    I wouldn't be surprised if what happened to allow Storm as a playable character also could be applied to the other X-Men. I don't see the reason for favoring Storm over the other 3 X-Men. Though Archangel would take up the whole screen lol

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    The second game (Clone Wars) is good, too, but you can basically tear through it because you have almost unlimited powers, which is not true to the comics or the television show.
    Yeah, but that isn't really a problem from a gameplay perspective, it only makes a difference if you want absolute comic accuracy. Which is something that Marvel themselves have not given any shits about for the past 15-20 years, it really dis-illusioned me from their comics. They need editors who do their jobs, beyond just letting anything through that makes the deadline. But I digress...

Clone Wars was better in other ways too, such as giving you more directional attacks (some characters, like Nightcrawler, have 4 different air attacks depending on what direction you hold while attacking). You could use stronger versions of your powers if your health was maxed, and some characters could also use charged up, stronger attacks, not unlike how you could do it in the first game with Gambit and Cyclops. And you had more playable characters, even though Psylocke and Beast were borderline useless. But you had Magneto playable!

And they did add one comic accurate move: some characters could grab on to walls (Beast and Psylocke), while some of them could actually walk on them (Nightcrawler and Wolverine)! Nightcrawler could do that in the comic too, and Wolverine's solution was the most creative: he stuck his claws in the wall/ceiling and climbed that way.

The game also had way better music. One of the better instruments used on the console, unlike the first game.

Hero of Algol

Technically speaking, X-Men 2: Clone Wars is light-years ahead of the first game.

I find that as the game developers got a handle on the programming they took advantage of what the hardware could do. The drawing and colors got more impressive after the second or third release.There were also developers who started out with bang.

X-Men controllers more advanced than say its arcade counterpart, and can be considered primitive to X-Men 2, but overall I appreciate its artistic direction. It seemed more oldschool relative to the cartoon show on tv. Bones pointing out its accuracy does make me appreciate the game more now.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

hmm... well, it may be possible to make a character appearance code, if anyone can figure out the pattern:
    http://gamehacking.org/game/16262
    ^scroll down to "Player 1 Sprites Modifier"

As is, it looks like they have codes to have the appearance of 5 bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    hmm... well, it may be possible to make a character appearance code, if anyone can figure out the pattern:
    http://gamehacking.org/game/16262
    ^scroll down to "Player 1 Sprites Modifier"

As is, it looks like they have codes to have the appearance of 5 bosses.
    I do not see an obvious pattern, but according to site the codes regarding player 1 sprites are for a pro action replay. When I did this there was a good chance my game genie was being used. This is a wonderful site btw thank you for sharing. Only thing I have found regarding storm is a code to use her multiple times.

This seems to be a path on the right direction.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

I recall a level select for this game but that's all

Was thinking about looking into this and seeing if Storm could be a regular character. How do I activate Storm as a "Substitute" character (or however Storm is used in the game)? I've read the FAQs at GameFAQs, but they don't give much info.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    Was thinking about looking into this and seeing if Storm could be a regular character. How do I activate Storm as a "Substitute" character (or however Storm is used in the game)? I've read the FAQs at GameFAQs, but they don't give much info.
    I want to preface this by saying that I find it highly unlikely that Storm is a playable character in the game, but its cool that you're looking into it.

The only way to use Storm is to pause the game, then select her from the character menu. She'll appear onscreen for a few seconds and attack any enemies. There's a video of it here if you skip to 7:05 (she can be used almost anywhere, its not necessary to wait until The Juggernaut Bitch appears onscreen).

Last edited by Mad Moham; 02-09-2019 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks for the info Mad Moham. No luck on using Storm as a regular character. Have not looked in the ROM yet to see if there are any graphics of storm doing anything else besides her "flying" thing. If the graphics are compressed, that could be difficult. If I knew there would be something at the end of the tunnel, I might pursue it further. Not saying it isn't there, just saying I didn't find anything after spending some time on it. :-(
    Last edited by Tony H; 02-09-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    Thanks for the info Mad Moham. No luck on using Storm as a regular character. Have not looked in the ROM yet to see if there are any graphics of storm doing anything else besides her "flying" thing. If the graphics are compressed, that could be difficult. If I knew there would be something at the end of the tunnel, I might pursue it further. Not saying it isn't there, just saying I didn't find anything after spending some time on it. :-(
    Thank you so much for looking into it! I have been meaning to get around to this. The one and only time I saw this happen, it was during two player mode, on the first level, near the caves with a lever to raise the wall very early in. It is highly likely I had a game genie inserted at the time.

I can tell you with certainty this happened, though my only concern is if there were revisions of this game that may or may not include this. If I had the know-how, I would start with looking into an earlier revision. At the time I had a newer revision of the console. I know I have a copy of the game still but it may have been one I replaced when a part of my collection went missing.

So I found all my old game genie booklets. I had a subscription back in the day and they would send me game genie codes hah. So if I look at the x-men ones, and cross reference the codes I had access to with the game hacks site, I can potentially see what code I used to get Storm as a playable character.

ALKA-CA86
    Switch between X-Men an infinite number of times

BC7T-CA2T
    This code lets you use Storm multiple times

On the game genie you can only have so many codes in at one time, so I am thinking I must have mixed up two codes and thatís what may have caused it. If I mixed the two codes I get:
    BC7T-CA86
    ALKA-CA2T

I have not tried these codes, though I think itís a start in the right direction. Itís hard to remember exactly what happened now but I recall the character change triggering it

Thread Information