Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: finding secret character in X-MEN

Quote Originally Posted by ironnick23 View Post
    From my google searching, it appears that in order to extract sprites from a game you must be playing it and pause. I wish I knew how to look for this
    If you don't want to resort to hacking the game (which requires a significant amount of technical knowledge), yes. If you can get your way around the ROM data instead that's an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Never figured out the rest trick myself. But then again, I very rarely could up to mojoworld anyway.
    Same- Mojoworld was the worst, but just getting to that level had a degree of satisfaction. I think you were suppose to actually reset the videogame if you reached the end to progress!

Banned by Administrators

I figured out that trick back in the day on my own. But was still stuck there was a fair long time. That's because the first time I thought of resetting, I must have held the button too long and it totally reset the game. So because of that I never again for a few times, instead trying other things. Eventually I was like "What the heck." And out of being desperate + because my game was going to end anyway, I tried the reset trick again. What happened afterwards was one of the most mind blowing and memorable gaming experiences ever. Such an epic moment to epic music. Plus because I did it with no guide/help and everything, made it just so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Such an epic moment to epic music.
    Epic indeed! I only ever got there with game genie lol. That is impressive you beat the whole game! Who was your X-Man of choice?

Banned by Administrators

Nightcrawler and Wolverine. Gambit was least favourite.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I never thought of the stage design as meant to resemble the room, that's very interesting and might help me appreciate it better. I've always had trouble enjoying this game.
    I think it was deliberate. They easily could have made the tree branches to look like regular branches. Or like being able to stand on the back of a pterydactl, obviously a disguised platform. They did a really good job of making the story in this game make sense. It's original but it also fits very well into the X-Men mythos. They could have made a good comic book out of this story without changing much. I can't say that about too many other videogames back then.

that never clicked for me. I just figured they go up in a puff of smoke because "video game rules". But this makes way more sense... Wow.
    Yeah, the game has great internal logic that fits right in with the comic books.

Being a huge fan of the comic and the game, I agree with everything you said about it, by the way. Except for the need for more content. Or rather, placing any extra content in a 2nd loop. The game is damn near impossible to beat already. Enemies swarm you and they often respawn, and extra health is very rare, making exploration difficult. I still never figured out how you open the hatch to the space shuttle in the Shiar level, I always just use Kurt to teleport over. I have no idea how to damage Juggernaut either, except for calling in support. Can you even beat him in any other way?
    Also, once I ran out of characters to switch to, I tended to use Wolverine and just sit in a blind spot for 10 minutes until he heals back.
    When I first started playing the game, I figured out which character worked best for each level. For example, Gambit is great for the first level because his cards have a homing ability; if you hold down the power button a moment, the card glows brighter and is even more homing than normal. It's great for taking out the mutant bees! And the bees nests hold power-ups, by the way.

Cyclops is great for the Shi'ar level because he has a great ranged attack. He can shoot in eight different directions if you hold down the power button and aim with the d-pad. Nightcrawler is good for catching the space shuttle then just switch back to Cyclops after you get to the throne room.

Nightcrawler is great for inside Excalibur's Lighthouse. You can just teleport to the elevator shaft and skip the ghosts, if you want. You can also use Iceman's bridge to just skip over Sabretooth, also. Personally, I prefer to fight everybody for the challenge but when I was getting to the higher levels, I just wanted to get back to 'em quick to try to get further.

Juggernaut is only vulnerable in the helmet. Stick to the high ground where he can't reach you. Just jump into the air when he stomps to avoid being taken down to his level. Gambit's cards are great for hitting his helmet.

Never figured out the rest trick myself. But then again, I very rarely could up to mojoworld anyway.
    I had gotten to the end of Mojo World several times and died because time ran out. Then one time, I happened to glance at the reset button as time was running out. It was hard at that time for me to get that far into the game and I remember thinking, do I dare risk it? I like how it made me take a risk because I didn't have time for another try that day. So cool to have figured it out.

I also liked the leap of faith in the future world. I had gotten stuck there several times and couldn't figure out what to do. Then I thought of trying Iceman's bridge to explore out further. That's another thing that makes this game great, each character, even the back-ups, have different abilities. It's so much better than the arcade game at that time, every character was basically the same in that game.

When you are playing the two-player mode, you can have Jean Grey bring you over to your teammate if you get separated. It's fun to use different teams on each of the levels.

Or some danger room minigames where you fight/shoot orbs and random enemies for a high score.
    That's a great idea. Too bad they didn't include a few Danger Room training modes. A random mode in the Danger Room where you just keep playing for a high score would be awesome.

Same- Mojoworld was the worst, but just getting to that level had a degree of satisfaction. I think you were suppose to actually reset the videogame if you reached the end to progress!
    Yep. Mojo isn't so tough compared to some of the others.
    Last edited by Bones Justice; 03-03-2017 at 02:57 AM.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Banned by Administrators

When I first played it, I cheesed it every which way I could. Like backups for Juggernaut, Nightcrawler for skipping most of Lighthouse and good enough portions of last stage, cheesing bosses with Nightcrawler standing in one place teleport, and even abusing Wolverine heal factor. But since I loved and played this game so much, I did eventually beat it with everyone for every stage eventually and without cheese.

So yeah, do whatever to beat it the first time and save the rest for replay incentives. Nothing wrong with leaving some replay incentives.

PS, the key to shuttle door is right under when hitting those power up switches revealing a red key orb, ya noob. (tongue in check jab, of course)

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

I forgot all about Forge.
    Forge, Beast, and Psylocke have a cameo in the game after the Danger Room is reset. Too bad they were not playable though I'm not sure how they could have given Forge an accurate power.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    When I first played it, I cheesed it every which way I could.
    Yeah, I used to do that when I was first playing. Once I started getting to Ahab and Mojo, I wanted to spend most of my game time there so I would cheese my way past all of the earlier levels.

It's a great two player game, too. There's plenty of gameplay for two. I like some of the two player only options, like Nightcrawler being able to teleport the other player. It would have been cool if Nightcrawler could teleport enemies, too, but hey. And we have fooled around with Jean Grey's powers to see what kind of new team attacks we could do. I always liked the exclusive two player attacks in Streets of Rage, maybe they could have made a cross-over game, X-Men versus Streets of Rage.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

The level where you are fighting on a the flying ship was always the deciding point for me whether we would make through to the future levels. I remember Nightcrawler being very useful here. This game was very impressive for its time! It would also be cool to see a super smash style mode where there could be 4 player danger room battles, even cooler if the room changed to different levels mid battle.

Banned by Administrators

Yes, for the very start of the Shuttle Ship speeding off part, Nightcrawler is very useful because you can just hold the teleport button down keeping you in place until the knock back effect of the Shuttle taking off wears off (you can also use his teleport in place cheese to easily kill all the guards as they come out the door). The next best tactic are Knightcrawler dive kicks and Wolverine claw jump dives, as they propel you forward more. But still can be done with other characters too just by walking forward. But you have to be fast to walk toward the front of the ship as much as possible before the knock back effect happens.

For beating the Shuttle guards without Knightcrawler teleport in place cheese, time the asteroids coming for you (pattern is one up> one down> repeat). So to dodge the top asteroid, you should be on top and you jumping down to dodge it. And while you jump down, a guard comes out through the door. Kill him, and get back on top to dodge soon to be incoming bottom Asteroid. Repeat.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    And the bees nests hold power-ups, by the way.
    There's only like 2 of them on the stage, and they also spawn bees, which hit you all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    Cyclops is great for the Shi'ar level because he has a great ranged attack. He can shoot in eight different directions if you hold down the power button and aim with the d-pad.
    If you hold down the power button to charge up, his beams will also rebound from walls (I think - been a while since I tried). And if you fire an optic blast during his spinning double jump, he will fire 8 beams simultaneously, one in every direction.

I found that none of the range attackers are any good since they can only do 3-4 shots even when the power bar is maxed out.

Banned by Administrators

Yeah, that's true about a charged beam rebounding off walls. And ranged attackers being no good since they can only do 3-4 shots? Not Cyclops. Maybe for you because you like to waste your mutant powers on that spin attack all direction beam shot. But for me, when I play good ol'Cyc, I'm pretty much shooting every enemy in a stage with standard optic blast. That is part of the fun in playing as Cyclops. Gambit on the other hand, he runs out fast, so his shots should be saved for trickier situations (like those flying guys in Mojo's Crunch). The main problem with Gambit is that he can't duck under enemy shots to avoid them because he's too tall. Otherwise at least his bo staff does 2 bars of dmg to enemies VS 1 for Cyclops & Nightcrawler's punches and kicks. But Wolverine's claws do 3 bars of dmg. Cyclops main weakness is bosses, since quite a few of them are immune to his optic blasts, leaving him having to handle them with his weak punches and kicks that drag on the fights a bit. Nightcrawler can cheese anything with a standing teleport, all day, er day, since this barely takes up any mutant power (only his directional teleports eat a lot of mutant power).

*blinks at this thread*

There's more depth to this game than I could have ever thought o.o

I love the fact that this thread has so much detailed discussion about how to find an alleged secret character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I love the fact that this thread has so much detailed discussion about how to find an alleged secret character.
    It is a work in progress

Bones and Thief describe how each character really shines in certain levels and it really gets me thinking about how secret characters could change the game dynamic.

Attachment 12097
    This is right around the area where I saw Storm as a playable character. Man this soundtrack brings back great memories!

Thread Information