Quantcast

Thread: Winter / spring 2017 broadcast television shows

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Default Winter / spring 2017 broadcast television shows

Replacement show-time! This seems like the time of year when shows that were cancelled are replaced.

Powerless: Anyone else watching this? Bruce Wayne's cousin heads up a business that builds technology to protect people without super-powers in this half-hour sitcom. Hilarity ensues. Or does it? Eh, after two episodes, it's likeable and has some funny moments. Alan Tudyk is great, as usual.

Trial & Error: A new, dark sitcom about a guy on trial for killing his wife. John Lithgow stars so this could be good. I will give this a trial run when it starts in March.

Can anything replace the NFL? Nothing on broadcast television can. At least the Gran Prix will be on soon.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

You had me at Alan Tudyk. I'll check that one out.

'Been watching:

The Walking Dead.
    You all know this one. Comes back tonight

Taboo
    A gritty period piece starring Tom Hardy. It's brilliant. Adds a bit of a superatural element via voodoo craft. Also takes place in the early 1800s at the culmination of the British/US war. Lead character returns to England to claim his trading empire from his deceased father and goes against the biggest monopoly of the time: The East India Company.

Santa Clarita Diet:
    Starring Drew Barrymore on Netflix. It doesn't hold anything back. And it's funny as hell. A wife in the suburbs suddenly catches a Zombie virus. Her family makes the best of the situation by helping her out. Needless to say, they get in a lot of sticky situations. Did I mention it's hilarious?

Stranger Things:
    Yup. It's coming back. Sure, you may have to wait till October, but if you haven't watched Season 1 yet, then: what have you been doing all this time? Away with you. Go turn on Netflix. You'll thank me later.

Iron Fist:
    Comes out in March. Didn't care much for the teaser. But the new trailer has me intrigued.

Colony
    It has that gritty, well-written Canadian style that great TV SciFi is known for. It takes place in California after an Alien overthrow. Think Falling Skies, except it's good.

Bump!

Legion (2017) looks good. He's the bastard son of Prof. Xavier. His powers are a mix between Rogue and Xavier, except he is one of the most power mutants in the lore.

Powerless has been good so far. It's good even though it's almost as if each character has a standing joke that they always go to. The main character is the "straight man" for everybody else. Tudyk is really funny so it's all good.

Time travel seems to be the new hot property. We already have DC's Legends of Tomorrow (which I didn't care for much) and Timeless (which remains interesting). In March, there are two new ones -- Making History (a sitcom) and Time after Time (a drama / thriller based upon the old movie). I like time travel shows if they are done well so I plan on trying both.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

I haven't watched Time after Time yet but I recorded it. Making History was just odd, kind of like a too-long SNL skit. But it has John Gemberling so I will watch it at least one more time.

I tried Iron Fist:
    Mediocre writing coupled with poorly casted characters. Seriously, though; the dude may have been a great Knight of Roses in GoT, but here he's constantly trying to pull-off some fake-ass Tai Chi like like it means something, throws some highschool-level one-liners, only for the quotes to fall short due to his obvious lack of knowledge, age or training, and just keeps getting photobombed by Rosario Dawson's pedantic and even less believable character. Looks and feels like some geeky fanservice written and performed by amateur Youtubers. A huge stepdown from Daredevil.

Bump!

Recapped on a couple of shows to mend for the lackluster nonsense spewed forth by Iron Fist: Fargo Season 2 and Better Call Saul Season 2.

Now, that's how you write television.

Thread Information