Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter / spring 2017 broadcast television shows

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Default Winter / spring 2017 broadcast television shows

Replacement show-time! This seems like the time of year when shows that were cancelled are replaced.

Powerless: Anyone else watching this? Bruce Wayne's cousin heads up a business that builds technology to protect people without super-powers in this half-hour sitcom. Hilarity ensues. Or does it? Eh, after two episodes, it's likeable and has some funny moments. Alan Tudyk is great, as usual.

Trial & Error: A new, dark sitcom about a guy on trial for killing his wife. John Lithgow stars so this could be good. I will give this a trial run when it starts in March.

Can anything replace the NFL? Nothing on broadcast television can. At least the Gran Prix will be on soon.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

You had me at Alan Tudyk. I'll check that one out.

'Been watching:

The Walking Dead.
    You all know this one. Comes back tonight

Taboo
    A gritty period piece starring Tom Hardy. It's brilliant. Adds a bit of a superatural element via voodoo craft. Also takes place in the early 1800s at the culmination of the British/US war. Lead character returns to England to claim his trading empire from his deceased father and goes against the biggest monopoly of the time: The East India Company.

Santa Clarita Diet:
    Starring Drew Barrymore on Netflix. It doesn't hold anything back. And it's funny as hell. A wife in the suburbs suddenly catches a Zombie virus. Her family makes the best of the situation by helping her out. Needless to say, they get in a lot of sticky situations. Did I mention it's hilarious?

Stranger Things:
    Yup. It's coming back. Sure, you may have to wait till October, but if you haven't watched Season 1 yet, then: what have you been doing all this time? Away with you. Go turn on Netflix. You'll thank me later.

Iron Fist:
    Comes out in March. Didn't care much for the teaser. But the new trailer has me intrigued.

Colony
    It has that gritty, well-written Canadian style that great TV SciFi is known for. It takes place in California after an Alien overthrow. Think Falling Skies, except it's good.

Bump!

Legion (2017) looks good. He's the bastard son of Prof. Xavier. His powers are a mix between Rogue and Xavier, except he is one of the most power mutants in the lore.

Powerless has been good so far. It's good even though it's almost as if each character has a standing joke that they always go to. The main character is the "straight man" for everybody else. Tudyk is really funny so it's all good.

Time travel seems to be the new hot property. We already have DC's Legends of Tomorrow (which I didn't care for much) and Timeless (which remains interesting). In March, there are two new ones -- Making History (a sitcom) and Time after Time (a drama / thriller based upon the old movie). I like time travel shows if they are done well so I plan on trying both.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

I haven't watched Time after Time yet but I recorded it. Making History was just odd, kind of like a too-long SNL skit. But it has John Gemberling so I will watch it at least one more time.

I tried Iron Fist:
    Mediocre writing coupled with poorly casted characters. Seriously, though; the dude may have been a great Knight of Roses in GoT, but here he's constantly trying to pull-off some fake-ass Tai Chi like like it means something, throws some highschool-level one-liners, only for the quotes to fall short due to his obvious lack of knowledge, age or training, and just keeps getting photobombed by Rosario Dawson's pedantic and even less believable character. Looks and feels like some geeky fanservice written and performed by amateur Youtubers. A huge stepdown from Daredevil.

Bump!

Recapped on a couple of shows to mend for the lackluster nonsense spewed forth by Iron Fist: Fargo Season 2 and Better Call Saul Season 2.

Now, that's how you write television.

I started watching Time after Time. H.G. Wells chasing Jack the Ripper through time, how long can that last? The characters are interesting enough. Then I realized all the hints they were dropping that this would be based upon not just The Time Machine but other Wells' fiction. They subtly suggested that these adventures take place before Wells writes any of his classic stories. They had already started using stuff related to The Island of Dr. Moreau. They even dropped a hint about The War of the Worlds. If they eventually did a Martian invasion story, wow. Unfortunately, this show is now cancelled. I don't think they even aired all of the episodes. Too bad, it was interesting enough to keep me watching, so far. It had it's negatives but my only real gripe was why Wells never questioned the idea that anyone had built a time machine since he first did.

The other time-travel show that I have watched, Making History, is mildly amusing. Still not much more than an comedy sketch or Adult Swim eleven minute show stretched out to a half-hour sitcom. It's okay but I can't really give it a strong recommendation.
    Last edited by Bones Justice; 04-11-2017 at 10:21 PM.

I have been watching Trial & Error. This show is brilliant! I highly recommend it. The entire cast is great. The writing and dialogue is quick and witty. And of course, John Lithgow never disappoints. Last week's episode, "A Change in Defense", is a "keeper" episode; my friend calls a perfect episode a "keeper" because she never deletes them from her DVR. A "keeper" episode can also be watched repeatedly and is the rare exception. Even rarer is the "keeper" episode from a series that wasn't a favorite. Even most of my favorite shows do not have a "keeper" episode. Anyways, Trial & Error is a great show that you should be watching. Why aren't you watching?

Powerless continues to be good, mainly due to the Van Wayne character (Alan Tudyk). The rest of the show is not bad but without him, I don't know if I would continue watching. By the way, the latest episode guest-starred Natalie Morales as Green Fury. While this episode of Powerless was not a keeper, she did co-star in The Middleman, which did have one "keeper" episode: "The Sino-Mexican Revolution", even though the series itself was only so-so.

Prison Break is back with another new episode tonight. I never watched the original series or the movie finale but my friend raves about it so much that I feel like I did. She convinced me to watch the repeat of the premiere episode, "Ogygia", on Saturday night. I have to admit, it was really good. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this new show because Fox did this with 24:Legacy. Sorry, but 24 just isn't 24 without Jack Bauer (Keifer Sutherland). So how can they continue Prison Break if Michael (Wentworth Miller) is dead? He isn't dead.

Anyways, even though I have only seen one episode, I recommend the new Prison Break. It looks good. My only gripe is why Tuesday nights? I already am recording two other shows on Tuesday nights. My TiVo is blowing up. Couldn't the networks agree to not air all of their best shows only on Tuesday nights?

The season finale of the new MacGyver is this Friday. I have enjoyed this show but it's not as good as it could be. For one thing, unlike the original MacGyver program, I like Jack Dalton better than MacGyver in the new show. Take last Friday's episode: while MacGyver is spending fifteen minutes building a fog machine for cover, Jack is taking out multiple terrorists in under a minute with his fists or his guns. Jack is just funnier, too. I also prefer the old Phoenix boss, Thornton, to the new one. Not really sure why they even made that switch.

So last Friday's episode saw MacGuyver having to pose as a captured assasin. The trick was, he had to convince the bad guys that he was a killer. It was an okay episode but not riveting. The same night, the retro channel showed an episode of the classic MacGyver entitled, "The Assassin" with MacGyver posing as a captured assassin. It was excellent! Lots of action and clever bits both by MacGyver and the assassin. 2017 MacGyver "C", classic MacGyver "A+".

The new MacGyver did a cross-over episode with the new Hawaii 5-0 a couple of weeks ago. I don't watch the other show so it did nothing for me. Not really sure what the point was except maybe to boost ratings. It didn't make me more interested in the other show at all because they didn't really do anything except show up.

I do hope MacGyver returns for another season. I think it's good most of the time and has lots of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post

Can anything replace the NFL? Nothing on broadcast television can. At least the Gran Prix will be on soon.
    Honestly, I wouldn't even notice if ANY (god I wish) professional sporting organization went belly up.

Being honest again, I can't believe some of the crap that is mistaken for quality programming.

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't even notice if ANY (god I wish) professional sporting organization went belly up.

Being honest again, I can't believe some of the crap that is mistaken for quality programming.
    ^I'm going to have to go with JCU on this one...

...on both fronts. I am suddenly remind of some of the nonsense that passes off as music nowadays.

People will tell you that your age is why you think mainstream music from today is crap. They say the same to me but then I show them how diverse I am with music and as such can recognize pure crap from something sustainable and worthy of my time.

Looking at society of today should be alarming.

Has anyone else been watching Prison Break? Wow, so good! All the action and intrigue of 24 combined with the inventiveness of MacGyver. I am stunned by how good this show is every week. I can hardly wait for the next episode!

Trial & Error was also excellent all the way through the finale. NBC burned through this show so fast, two episodes per week. I give this show high marks all-around. I am eagerly awaiting season two. I wonder, did Larry commit murder to keep Josh around? He did say he learned to kill while in prison. Plus, he is a total nutdriver.

Thread Information