Quantcast

Thread: WTB Super Nintendo Console Replacement Case/Outer Shell

Gunstar Hero Wildside Expert Theretrogamer12345's Avatar

Default WTB Super Nintendo Console Replacement Case/Outer Shell

Recently I picked up an original Super Nintendo console (not the mini) because I had heard that it can output RGB without modification. The console works perfectly, but the case is so yellowed and cracked that it is a sore sight for the eyes. I was wondering if anyone had a spare console plastic shell that they would be willing to sell so that I could give the insides of this SNES a proper home. If not the shell by itself, I would be willing to purchase a broken SNES so that I could swap out the insides with the working one I have and keep the outer shell.

The shell doesn't have to look perfect, just please none of that gross yellow sun faded cracked shit I got stuck with hahaha.

(and I know the outer shell can be restored back to its original color, but everything I tried didn't work and I just ended up breaking the shell I have now even more. That's why I'm interested in just swapping it out for a nicer looking one)
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

What revision do you have? I have a spare shell or two laying around but there differences. Does yours have the removable audio module or a board mounted one? Let me know and I can let you know if I can help you out.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Gunstar Hero Wildside Expert Theretrogamer12345's Avatar

can you explain what you mean by removable audio module? If I open up the console is there somewhere I can look to tell which revision I have?
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by Theretrogamer12345 View Post
    can you explain what you mean by removable audio module? If I open up the console is there somewhere I can look to tell which revision I have?
    The audio module is a small metal removable box in the back right corner of the motherboard. It's about 2" square
    Last edited by Jeremy Popp; 03-22-2017 at 09:17 AM.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

Here's an ancient photo taken with a potato that shows the disassembled SNES with the removable audio module, which is on the right side of the photo. The metal square-shaped item is the RF shielding/heat sink for it. Didn't disassemble that because I was just going to paint the system at the time, and I really had no interest in modding it at the electronic level.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Heh, my Super Comboy has that kind of configuration. I always figured it was because it was like an early model or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

There is a SNES revision similar to the first revisions with the softer looking picture quality (if that's what you prefer) that Nintendo made right before they came out with the 1CHIP revisions and the S-RGB video encoder revisions that don't ever yellow. Simply look for Super Nintendos with the eject word printed in white on the eject lever and if they aren't yellowed, that should be the revision I'm talking about that were the last to still have the BA6592F/S-ENC video encoders. The shells on them don't yellow or crack, otherwise you could instead go for S-RGB encoder revisions that have the word eject molded on the eject levers, their shells also don't ever start yellowing or crack. I've seen some 1CHIP revisions with yellowing shells, so I'm not 100% sure about the 1CHIP revision shells being immune to it. I don't think that they start cracking at least. The S-RGB revisions were the ones that came out circa '95-'96 in bundles with Super Mario All-Stars + SMW or Killer Instinct.

I know all this because I've had two S-ENC revisions (one of them I sold with a component video mod) that hadn't yellowed and also the S-RGB revision which I had since '95 that came with Mario All-Stars + World which also hasn't yellowed either. Also I've paid close attention to 1CHIP revisions sold on ebay.

I'm eventually going to install the component video output mod to my 2nd S-ENC SNES if you or if anyone else is interested, I have to replace the power caps on it first though. May take a while since I have a bunch of Genesis' that I have to fix and/or S-Video mod first.
    Last edited by roadkill; 04-04-2017 at 02:26 AM.

Thread Information