Quantcast

Thread: graphical distortion with some games on my neo geo aes

Default graphical distortion with some games on my neo geo aes

as can be seen in this picture. it only shows this greenish flickering in some games and in some levels. it's the worst in this game 3 count bout. any idea what to do?

extra info:

I have an original pal(do they exist?) neo geo aes. very low serial number of 28328

I use rgb scart and have used 2 different rgb cables. one original aes, which gives very dark image, almost black with only sound and barely distinguishable lines in even darker.

it just started happening the other day. I don't use the system that often so I may have not powered it on for a bout a year maybe.

AKA Mister Xiado Outrunner Raijin Z's Avatar

Failing capacitors can mess with signal amplitude and frequency. I'm no expert on the Neo Geo hardware, only semi-recently becoming the owner of one, or video encoder chips, but it's possible that if the electrical values of the signal are changing, that could result in dark video, and possibly color banding. Replacing the caps is seldom wasted effort for a system that's acting strangely, especially if it's approaching 25+ years of age. Yeah, I know "replace the caps" is the idiot know-it-all's suggestion for console troubleshooting, but so much rides on the damn things that it's not always useless tripe.

Thread Information