Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mega Amp 2.0 Mini

Default Mega Amp 2.0 Mini

Up for sale is the Mega AMP 2.0 Mini designed by ACE and villahed94 and PCB made by myself. For more info on this mod go to the thread to read up on it, this board has some solder jumpers to choose the proper filter for all compatible mother board and Model versions so one board can be used on multiple consoles (if you need to transplant it on another console for example). There are also 2 switches for Filtered or Unfiltered sound so the end user can change it on the fly, both switches need to be set to U or F. Also this version of the board does not have the Sega CD Pass-through, you will need the Pro version of the schematic (no one has made this version board yet) or make a separate circuit based on the schematics provided by ACE.

This board is Designed for all model 2 and model 3 motherboards NOT the model 1 motherboards with THE ONLY EXCEPTION being the model 1 VA7.

PAYPAL Fees have been added to the purchase page and will show up in the form of TAX, if you don't want to pay this fee then contact me to send payment as a "Gift" or "Sending Money to Friends".

$25 for the board and $5 Shipping Worldwide.

I can provide install service for people who can't or don't want for $50 (parts and labor) plus shipping of the system if you live in USA since shipping is expensive outside USA.

Install Pictures:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3yyh9c...0_Installs.zip

The Board:
    Last edited by Helder; 04-20-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Nameless One

Hey helder hows it going? still waiting on that variable mega drive model 1 overclock your working on. just wondering if any progress has been made.

Can I use this on a VA2 MD1?

Quote Originally Posted by mvsfan View Post
    Hey helder hows it going? still waiting on that variable mega drive model 1 overclock your working on. just wondering if any progress has been made.
    Not really the thread to ask this as it's another project but no nothing has been done, the MD2 mod should work on the model 1 but you will need to do a wire install using that board.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
    It should work on any MD1 and MD2 but I'm unsure of the solder locations on the MD1 models besides the VA7.

Video Game Modder Road Rasher segasonicfan's Avatar

This is great Helder - thanks so much for making this!
    What are the dimensions of it? I'll have to pick one up as soon as I finish my other project.

-Segasonicfan

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    This is great Helder - thanks so much for making this!
    What are the dimensions of it? I'll have to pick one up as soon as I finish my other project.

-Segasonicfan
    The size is 1.50x1.39 inches so it's even smaller than the older Mega Amp boards I sold and the output is alot nicer too with the tantalum caps on the output.

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Just wanted to say I got Helder to install a Mega Amp 2.0 mini in my Model 2 VA0 Genesis the sound is incredible. He also added a region switch and Blue LED which are great. He is a real good guy responded to any questions promptly and did the work and return shipping way faster then I was expecting.
    Girl's Asian Please
    NFL Dallas Cowboys
    MLB Toronto Blue Jays
    NHL St.Louis Blues
    NBA Golden St. Warriors

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Helder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
    It should work on any MD1 and MD2 but I'm unsure of the solder locations on the MD1 models besides the VA7.
    Hello I recently bought this board but can't find any installation diagrams for my Genesis model 1 VA2. Can anyone help?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training infidelity's Avatar

Hello Helder, I recently purchased your 2.0 mini. I hope they are still in stock? :-)

Yes they are and for @Cargo please read the first post of this thread, it clearly says which models this is for and that is not one of the models so I have no wiring diagrams for it.

Helder, I installed the mini, my VA7 model 1 sounds way better, but I feel the bass doesn't have enough *oomf* to it, and I feel the sfx in Sonic 2 are a tad louder then the music, my VA2 model 1 system seems to not have the sfx that loud. We're there any differences in the VA7 model 1 installation diagrams, or jumper settings on the board, from when Ace discovered some issue a few weeks ago?

And one last thing, does this installation remove the volume slider function on the stereo jack model 1's? Cause where I soldered the wires for headphone left & right, it's full blast. (I use euro scart and need audio output from my headphone jack) if this does not remove the volume slider function, is there any schematic/diagram that shows the exact spot on where to solder the 2 wires? Thanks!

Road Rasher

Try running your Mega Amp on a filtered setting, that might give a bassier sound. I never did care much for unfiltered FM sound personally.
    The PSG volume can be reduced slightly by changing the 2.2K pull-down resistor for the PSG to a lower value. Try 2.0K or 1.8K.

Actually, I had an idea for a VA7-specific Mega Amp. We could change the TL072 to a TL074, have the first pair of '074 op-amps perform the mixing and filtering, while the TDA1308 drives the headphone jack (what it's designed to do) from their outputs, and the second pair of '074 op-amps perform the mono mixing. I wonder if, to restore the headphone volume slider functionality, it'd be possible to wire the existing 10K slider of the VA7 to the TDA1308's gain feedbacks, using 10K gain resistors on its inputs? Or would that cause some kind of problem? (I'm not exactly an engineer, just an amateur hobbyist...)
    Last edited by Eep386; 11-11-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eep386 View Post
    Try running your Mega Amp on a filtered setting, that might give a bassier sound. I never did care much for unfiltered FM sound personally.
    The PSG volume can be reduced slightly by changing the 2.2K pull-down resistor for the PSG to a lower value. Try 2.0K or 1.8K.
    Thanks for replying! I've definitely been using the filtered option of the mega amp 2.0 mini. I'm not following you on what you mean by "try 2.0k or 1.8k." I don't know what you mean. I've followed all the VA7 installation diagrams as described. I work better with visual aid.

The headphone slider id really like to have back working. Another site said I need to cut a trace on the VA7, but I don't know where, and I'm hesitant without, again, some sort of visual aid.

Road Rasher

What you will need is one 2.0K or 1.8K ohm 0805 SMD resistor to put on the PSG pull-down. 1.8K will give a quieter PSG than 2.0K, but both will be slightly quieter than the 2.2K used by default. Unfortunately, Helder's boards don't appear to follow the same references as Ace's circuit schematics, and judging by the pictures provided here Helder coated the traces of his latest batch of Mega Amp boards with paint, so I can't ascertain where exactly the PSG resistor is on it. A hunch says R1, as it's closest to the PSG input pin.

2.0K Digi-Key part #311-2.0KARCT-ND
    1.8K Digi-Key part #311-1.80KCRCT-ND
    Last edited by Eep386; 11-13-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Do you still take in work? I just purchased a Model 2 VA2.3 and was looking to get a Mega Amp installed. Thanks

Thread Information