Quantcast

Thread: PAL games on Sega Mark III

Default PAL games on Sega Mark III

I have a mark III and I might purchase this thingy to be able to play US or EU SMS games on the mark III. The problem is I live in Europe so it is easier to get PAL games. Will they run on 50hz or 60 on the mark III??I know not all of them are compatibale but my list is quite narrowed down:

Sonic 1..Bare Knuckles 1...Gouls and gosths...Power Strike II

I spotted a seller on the bay selling such device.

Thanks!

Nameless One

They'll run at 60Hz. All of those games should run fine, it's generally just a few European third party games which have issues when run at 60Hz.

I know sonic 2 might not properly work but I think it is mostly glitches...it will run just not with some issues. Some other big games include Shadow Dancers. But I am especially interested in my list.

Thanks for your answer...I was almost sure they will run at 60hz but you never know!

Nameless One

Sonic 2 released in Brazil and South Korea (both 60Hz countries), so should run fine. First party games were generally designed for 60Hz (because they still run OK at 50Hz, not always the case the other way around), but some can detect which system they're playing on. Sonic 2 is one, it will play the music at the correct speed on either 60Hz or 50Hz consoles (I think the actual game still plays slower PAL consoles).

Korean "asian exclusive games" are mighty rare and of course expensive...I saw a Bare Knuckles on ebay once. I couldn't afford it back then (and still now!). I try to stick with mark III games, I like the boxes better...but for Sonic 1 or Bare Knuckles 1, no choice but to go western boxes (in my case PAL games):

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Mark III is set to 60hz through hardware. No matter what the game expects, all games are forced to comply. Even if that leads to glitches.
    It was a common design trend for Sega. Mega Drive and Saturn are similar. So in general NTSC systems speed up PAL games, while PAL systems slow down NTSC games. Most major development was on NTSC machines.
    Last edited by lumclaw; 03-24-2017 at 03:39 AM.

I have tried my first PAL game which is Street of Rage...so far all good and a blast to play! JUst make sure the pause button is easy to reach during the boss fight.

I had been "spoiled" by its megadrive/genesis counterpart.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

The Master System doesn't really make a strong distinction with PAL games like most consoles do. Unlike the NES, there's no PAL region lockout. The SMS essentially treats the Americas, Europe, and Australia as one big region. The fact that you're using a Mark III with a converter, as opposed to a US console or something, shouldn't make a difference I don't think.

Some games that were developed for the European market were made in the US or Japan. For example, the SMS version of Shadow of the Beast is credited to a US team. Apparently it was also released in Brazil, according to smspower, but I imagine it was an afterthought. I'd be curious to know what equipment they developed the game on. Though I'm sure it was at least tested on both PAL and NTSC systems.

Also of note is that the Game Gear is 60Hz worldwide, and a lot of later SMS releases were developed in conjunction with a Game Gear version. Which means that some games that are exclusively "PAL releases" are actually meant to be played in 60Hz.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Thread Information