Quantcast

Thread: SMS Coding Comp. 2017

Nameless One

Default SMS Coding Comp. 2017

http://www.smspower.org/forums/f9-Competitions

SMS Power 20th anniversary and the quality is high.

People are still updating their games and stuff, so I'll just shout a couple of Bad Apple demos which I think are final;

SMS Bad Apple. Compare to SMS successor Genesis, and contemporary NES versions.

SMS Bad Apple 3D. Compare to the original.
    Last edited by BKK; 03-30-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I already saw BA but not BA 3D

Last edited by retrospiel; 03-31-2017 at 08:06 AM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

No joke, that's pretty impressive, I'm amazed they made it look that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

They're complete nutcases! I don't know how they did it all - Well, I mean, I read the writeups for how they did it. But it's completely bonkers. And inside 4 megabytes!

Strange! 20 TH compo with no Bock´s code? AH, SMS not is the focus.
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Bock is the lead programmer on Dragon's Trap for PS4, Xbone, Switch, etc. - and it includes a Master System mode. You can even use your old passwords from the original game.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Very impressive technically, but why did they chose such a horrendous, grating video?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Hi

Someone set this up, direct comparison of video side by side. SMS vs SMD vs NES. I don't think its fair to do direct comparisons between NES and others as it took a very different technical approach discarding more frames and all original tiles (as all 8 bit size focused ones do) but still its interesting to see.
    https://viewsync.net/watch?v=8IrxK_n...GhHEoj3o&t=0.0

And here is a comparison of the Bad Apple 3D with original.
    https://viewsync.net/watch?v=S-7Z23G...V5A-VzKWvw&t=0
    Last edited by Psidum; 04-02-2017 at 02:46 AM.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Although seeing the SMS run Bad Apple 3D is impressive, it's really good to see developers create something from scratch ... and playable to boot!

ASTRO FORCE DEMONSTRATION:

MECH-8 DEMONSTRATION:

I am hopeful that both homebrews will turn out to be full fledged games. IMHO, the music is great and I liked that Astro Force featured a cutscene or two. I love cutscenes!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Gromble of pirates...? Outrunner Bramsworth's Avatar

So when it comes to homebrews, Dreamcast gets horizontal shumps, SMS gets vertical shumps, and Genesis gets RPGs. Got it.

But these do look cool. I'm always impressed how retail-quality these homebrew projects are.
    I'm Pro A'can

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    Bock is the lead programmer on Dragon's Trap for PS4, Xbone, Switch, etc. - and it includes a Master System mode. You can even use your old passwords from the original game.
    Strange! I dont saw Dragon´s Trap in entry for 2017s compo.
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by segarule View Post
    Strange! I dont saw Dragon´s Trap in entry for 2017s compo.
    I'm not sure what you're asking exactly, but Bock is currently porting the Dragon's Trap to current gen consoles and PC ... it releases in a couple of weeks! So he doesn't have much time for the competition this year, but he's still involved and supporting it, even if he doesn't have time to enter something himself.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Although seeing the SMS run Bad Apple 3D is impressive, it's really good to see developers create something from scratch ... and playable to boot!

ASTRO FORCE DEMONSTRATION:

MECH-8 DEMONSTRATION:

I am hopeful that both homebrews will turn out to be full fledged games. IMHO, the music is great and I liked that Astro Force featured a cutscene or two. I love cutscenes!
    Yeah, these are pretty amazing. Astro Force dev is taking feedback and improving his game, so I expect that the final entry will be much improved from the initial entry.

Nameless One

With regards to the Bad Apple 3D dev ... he made his video player for SMS, which was pretty amazing, he then worked on it and managed to include sound, which was even more amazing. He then iterated and improved it, which made it even better. Still, it was limited to how big the video could be (about half of Bad Apple 3D video), and colors (just 16), plus it could only support PAL videos. So he completely re-wrote it with what he learnt from his first attempt. He explains how he reworked it here.

It's pretty amazing coding on the Z80 IMO.

Thread Information