Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mega Drive 60hz TV blinking

Road Rasher

Default Mega Drive 60hz TV blinking

Hi again.

I have a modded Mega Drive. 60hz mode works, but my Smart TV "blinks" for a few moments after powering up. It's like the TV is calibrating itself to the signal. Although it works fine after the "blinking" stops, it's rather annoying because it doesn't "blink in 50hz. I saw somewhere that modded systems do not technically output "true" NTSC and that it is very slightly off. I imagine this is why my TV's "blinking"? I also have a Japanese Master System, and my TV does not "blink" when I'm using that. Is this a problem with all smart TVs? My old TV (which I think has been thrown out ) didn't "blink" using the Mega Drive in 60hz: it just worked. Is there some way of fixing it other than hunting down an old TV or getting a Japanese or American console?

Thanks

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

If it is some LCD then it isn't out of question that it isn't really liking the output from the MD. Frame and line rates differ from NTSC 60Hz machine when you mod a PAL machine to 60Hz (and NTSC machine in 50Hz also differs from PAL machine in 50Hz).

Code:
    +------+----------------------+----------------------+
    |      |          PAL         |         NTSC         |
    |      +-----------+----------+-----------+----------+
    |      | HSYNC kHz | VSYNC Hz | HSYNC kHz | VSYNC Hz |
    +------+-----------+----------+-----------+----------+
    | 50Hz | 15556.557 | 49.70146 | 15699.759 | 50.15897 |
    | 60Hz | 15556.557 | 59.37617 | 15699.759 | 59.92274 |
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Wildside Expert

you can try changing the master oscillator, the jp version is 53.693175mhz, but you might run into 50hz issues then, although I remember trying on an lcd and working fine.

Road Rasher

Thanks

My old TV was an LCD and it worked fine on there. I came across a very similar model. I no longer get the "blinking", but instead another problem: the screen "flicks" and changes tone regularly. This does not happen in 50hz or on my Japanese Master System. I'm not sure if that's a good description, so should I do a video of what happens? The strange thing is that there are times when it works fine. I don't understand why it can't work fine all the time. I don't know how to change the oscillator . If I'm going to encounter these issues using modded consoles (I'd like a Saturn), perhaps I should just get the Japanese version?

Outrunner

You might be able to make the signal more stable by modding the unit to use c-sync from the CXA encoder instead of VDP chip, or by switching from composite to c-sync, assuming you use a RGB Scart cable. I recall my Plasma needed to use c-sync to have a stable picture, but it is off center. With composite I get a center picture that somehow starts flipping between off center and center. I don't remember the details on exactly which signal I use for sync now, just that I ended up installing a switch for it on the console, so I can toggle the a/v outputs pin.

Road Rasher

Yes, I use a RGB Scart cable. I think I also have AV leads, but I get no colour in 60hz using them (haven't tested them on the other TV though). Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fiddle around the insides of my Mega Drive .

Mega Driven Master of Shinobi cleeg's Avatar

You could try a SCART RGB to composite transcoder. Some LCD TVs (in my experience) like composite more and the picture is not very different to true RGB. Your mileage may vary, but it may be worth a try without going the more expensive upscaling route...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/371647985464

... Though not specifically this one, something like it can work well. I have one similar that I may be able to loan out.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Yes, I use a RGB Scart cable. I think I also have AV leads, but I get no colour in 60hz using them (haven't tested them on the other TV though). Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fiddle around the insides of my Mega Drive .
    You won't get colour in composite if you do a 60hz mod on a PAL Megadrive, you need an additional mod for that, so the signal has the right colourburst frequency.

RGB Scart should get you colour every time, but like it was said before, the sync is off spec on a PAL 60hz Megadrive, and some TVs don't like that.

Master of Shinobi

Modern TVs seem to be getting worse for this kind of thing. When output at 1080p 50Hz through a Framemeister, my 4K TV doesn't even like my Megadrive's PAL output (I guess that 0.3Hz deviation from spec is throwing it off). Tearing ahoy in game mode if syncing is on. Oddly, it's fine when the FM's outputting 1080i.

Outrunner

I thought the Framemeister doesn't even work at all with PAL Megadrives.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    You could try a SCART RGB to composite transcoder. Some LCD TVs (in my experience) like composite more and the picture is not very different to true RGB. Your mileage may vary, but it may be worth a try without going the more expensive upscaling route...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/371647985464

... Though not specifically this one, something like it can work well. I have one similar that I may be able to loan out.
    Never seen or heard of that before! I might have to consider it .

Mega Driven Master of Shinobi cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I thought the Framemeister doesn't even work at all with PAL Megadrives.
    It does, and well . At least on my TV.

Road Rasher

Never seen or heard of that before! I might have to consider it .
    Hope this isn't a stupid question: will this work on model 2 Mega Drives? If I get this, will I need the audio extractor as well?

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Hope this isn't a stupid question: will this work on model 2 Mega Drives? If I get this, will I need the audio extractor as well?
    Yes you need to extract audio. That box only encodes RGB to component.

The resolution and refresh rate are passed through. Make sure your TV accepts Mega Drive display modes from a component cable.
    Similarly, for example, common NTSC CRT SDTVs with component input won't like 50hz consoles.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by lumclaw View Post
    Yes you need to extract audio. That box only encodes RGB to component.

The resolution and refresh rate are passed through. Make sure your TV accepts Mega Drive display modes from a component cable.
    Similarly, for example, common NTSC CRT SDTVs with component input won't like 50hz consoles.
    Well, it accepts Mega Drive display modes from a scart cable. Is there any reason it won't accept it from component?

Thread Information