Quantcast

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: OVERDRIVE II

I remember signing up for an interest list of cartridges with the Overdrive II demo. What happened with that?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I remember signing up for an interest list of cartridges with the Overdrive II demo. What happened with that?
    I'm quite lazy and my free time is mostly occupied by Overwatch, sorry about that

We're working on a making-of video and as soon as that's done we'll tackle the cartridges. The design is completely layed out, we'll just have to fund and produce them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Also you can tell apart Overdrive 1.0 from 1.1 not only because the former will only run in PAL (specifically, 50Hz), but also because the rotating 3D cube near the end has half the vertical resolution (in 1.1 it's full resolution).
    It's also much BIGGER in 1.1

Road Rasher

Loop mode ?
    Pretty please ?
    Also do you still need VDP info and pics ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oerg866 View Post
    I'm quite lazy and my free time is mostly occupied by Overwatch, sorry about that

We're working on a making-of video and as soon as that's done we'll tackle the cartridges. The design is completely layed out, we'll just have to fund and produce them.
    That's OK, take your time . Thanks for the update!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Pha's Avatar

Hello,

A year has just passed, I suppose the project is dead

Assessment: We have the impression that it was a closed technical demonstration (incompatibility with ToToTeK and most of them Everdrive... )

Would it be possible to release the sources

Otherwise, thank you again
    Long live the Megadrive/Genesis

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Is there a version Overdrive II that support Everdrive X3 - X5 ?

not that I'm aware of, though I vaguely remember someone mentioning downsizing it to work on the x5.

The paradox of Overdrive II Demo is the fact that it is in itself an advanced demo but not advanced to work on basic flashcards, it must be really too hard and require technical skills that do not exist !
    Because KEGA Fusion is anything but absurd.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pha View Post
    The paradox of Overdrive II Demo is the fact that it is in itself an advanced demo but not advanced to work on basic flashcards
    If it works on real hardware, then doesn't the problem lie with those basic flashcards rather than the demo?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ironnick23 View Post
    not that I'm aware of, though I vaguely remember someone mentioning downsizing it to work on the x5.
    In the end it would require only to be split the ROM in two parts to work on all everdrive.
    Just like they did with the Bad Apple demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    If it works on real hardware, then doesn't the problem lie with those basic flashcards rather than the demo?
    Yep, the Mega Everdrive doesn't like it when the firmware gets overwritten (to make it clear, I'm talking about the copy in cartridge RAM, not the actual bootloader). I can understand why the menu would break (forcing you to hard reset to get back to the firmware), but it straight up makes no provision even for anything that would use up the whole cartridge.

EDIT: for further context, the cartridges in question we're talking about do have enough memory to hold exactly all of Overdrive 2… it's just that the last MB is reserved by the firmware, so in practice it's more like 7MB available instead of the whole 8MB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Yep, the Mega Everdrive doesn't like it when the firmware gets overwritten (to make it clear, I'm talking about the copy in cartridge RAM, not the actual bootloader). I can understand why the menu would break (forcing you to hard reset to get back to the firmware), but it straight up makes no provision even for anything that would use up the whole cartridge.

EDIT: for further context, the cartridges in question we're talking about do have enough memory to hold exactly all of Overdrive 2… it's just that the last MB is reserved by the firmware, so in practice it's more like 7MB available instead of the whole 8MB.
    So it means that with good will Krikzz/ToToTek could generate firmware compatible with their old products but they don't...

But nothing prevents an alternative Overdrive 2 demo (with a less greedy megabytes soundtrack for example).

I mean, I imagine it's also low priority for krikzz. I suppose it could try asking him about this but don't expect anything.

Curiously in the meantime all excuses were found not to go any further (no time, too lazy...) yet give a plan and source code liberates time and laziness

Go to the next step without ruining yourself, the idea has long since sprouted to remind you of the custom flashcard with 25 bucks (as a reminder) :

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index....drive-2.36625/
    https://hackaday.com/2014/06/18/the-...drive-dev-kit/

In short, you will have understood that we may have an ultra powerful accessory for almost nothing.

A 7mb version of Overdrive II is mentioned in this interview of February 2019 :

https://megabitesblog.wordpress.com/...16-bit-part-2/

So, what does the future hold for TiTAN demo group?

Kabuto: Back when we wrote Overdrive 2, we were more than sure that this project was our last one. But in fact, our Mega Drive journey is still going on. We’re preparing the final version of Overdrive 2.

Plans for the final version include lots of effect improvements and glitch fixes, a 7 MB ROM size for better flash cart compatibility, but no NTSC compatibility.

People often ask why Overdrive 2 is PAL only. That’s because most of us (and the demoscene in general) operates in PAL regions. PAL also offers a number of technical advantages (more CPU / graphics transfer time per frame). Although we could fix Overdrive 1 for NTSC, for Overdrive 2 this would just be impossible to do without either a major downgrade of most of its effects or a shrinking the screen size.

Thread Information