Quantcast

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OVERDRIVE II

Nameless One

Amazing to think that the hardware is from the late 80's. Even more amazing to think that most of these consoles survived almost 30 years later. The Mega Drive is a beast.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

Keep in mind that the Atari 2600 is from the seventies.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oerg866 View Post
    Any hint as to where in that six hour video does the demo actually take place?

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    Any hint as to where in that six hour video does the demo actually take place?
    3 hour 45 minutes and 11 seconds

Clicking on the Twitch link will automatically take you to that portion of the video.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner avlon's Avatar

Awesome Demo. Too bad it won't work on my Everdrive MD V.3.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post

Clicking on the Twitch link will automatically take you to that portion of the video.
    Not on my mobile .

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post

Thank you, it looks awesome! Do these groups release their source code, just out of curiosity?

No words for describe...

Awesome!

Whoa

A thing of beauty. TITAN SUCKS in all the right ways. Overdrive was a retro gaming awakening for me in so many ways. Before it I was hardly aware of the ever increasing number of flash carts becoming available for all the retro systems of my youth. By the end of that year I had reacquired so many former consoles and various flash carts. Watching Overdrive on a PVM with my Mega Everdrive was bliss. I can't wait to source a PAL Mega Drive (as I'm almost positive this one won't find its way to an NTSC friendly rom) to see this thing run in the flesh. YouTube can hardly do it justice.

Cheers TITAN (and the locals Sik/Oerg866). Can't wait for the tech write up.

edit: suppose I can just do a 50hz mod on one of my NTSC units and this would work? been a while forgot this might be a possibility.
    Last edited by pixelperfect; 04-16-2017 at 01:42 PM.

I got the rom running on my console, and it runs way more stable than the first Overdrive. This demo doesn't seem to want to run consistently unless I switch off the overclock, which I find strange. Given some of the effects I thought it would run better with overclocking.

I still can't get over some of the effects in this, if I hadn't already seen it running on hardware I would never have believed that it would run on a stock console.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I'll be downloading this when I get home, just watched the video. Abso;utely ace.

The thing I really like is that it is obviously very impressive (moreso to the techy types who can guess what's going on, but at my level it looks like what the best ever MD game might have looked like in say, 1996), but also very artistic and looks cool. The robots are well conceptualised and drawn beautifully as well as scaling allover the place and stuff.

I liked the bit about grief counselling at the end there too! I'm going to try this in Genesis + GX and see if my GPD XD melts...

EDIT - OK, no melting but the emu doesn't like it! Looks like I'm waiting until later. Really cool stuff.

Now then, the watermelon at the beginning seems to be listening to a MegaDrive II... Wasn't there a post in the Paprium thread recently to do with Fonzie's MDII and audio stuff? I do enjoy a coincidence.
    Last edited by cleeg; 04-16-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Outrunner

This prod is just mindblowing in every aspect. The music, the grafics, the effects, the E V E R Y T H I N G

I wonder who that "Jorge" in the credits roll might be... hummm no idea totally :P

Road Rasher

Just tested on various console revisions.

First, as a demo, it is brilliant. Congrats to all persons involved.

onto hardware :
    MD1 VA4, warning message. I could tell the 2001-like sequence has some glitches
    MD1 VA6, no message, and the 2001 sequence is indeed glitchless
    MD2 VA0, no message, no glitch.

Are there other parts affected by glitches ? I'm guessing the 30% MD1 are VA4 and before, and the 5% MD2 are Hitachi VDPs VA2/2.3 ?

Soundwise, it's much better on stock hardware. The MD2 is unfiltered and it's a bit too agressive on highs, while on stock it has way better balance and really great bass.

Also tried 60hz hotswitching, and, no . Slowdowns, glitches, and ultimately crashes on the FPS section.

EDIT : dang, I'm literally blind, it also glitches at OVERDRIVE II title concentric circles, and on 3d balls
    Last edited by Ryoandr; 04-16-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Whelp. Watched this with a couple of friends of mine.

How the fuck you got some of that shit going will haunt me, it bothers me that I cannot figure it out.

Thread Information