Quantcast

Thread: sega mark III and Power supply unit

Default sega mark III and Power supply unit

which european PSU is the most appropriate to use for a sega mark III? master system 1..2?? megadrive 1...2??

thanks!!

AKA Mister Xiado Outrunner Raijin Z's Avatar

The US Sega Master System can eat varying levels of voltage, from 9 to possibly 11 or 12 volts DC, but search engine corruption is keeping me from finding the exact voltage the Mark III eats. If it's the same as the SMS, then a Mega Drive 1 AC adapter should work fine.

Gotcha....for some reason, I find hard to find about it!

Technical documentation is a lost art. If it wasn't for pinouts.ru, we'd be majorly screwed for console troubleshooting/engineering. While I'm yammering about power supplies, be warned that the (US) NES AC adapter will KILL anything that is not an NES, because the NES power adapter converts 120V AC to 10V AC. Yeah, not DC. The bridge rectifier in the NES itself is what converts the AC waveform into DC. Other game systems rely on their AC adapters to do this, so while a Genesis AC adapter will work fine in an NES, don't do the reverse.

Interesting..PSUs can be tricky and somehow fun to use...I used to have the japanese wondermega (victor one) and I powered it with a japanese ps2 PSU but with a simple EU cord......

As long as the voltage and polarity going into the game system are what it needs, you're good. Voltage can vary by a bit without much trouble, but don't push it. Also, the current rating on power supplies is the maximum current that they are expected to be able to safely handly, like the throughput rating on a hose or pipe. If you have an adapter that is rated for 1 Amp, you can easily power something that wants 500 milliAmps, as that is half of 1 Amp, so you're not over-taxing the AC adapter. So to use water as an analogy, voltage is like water pressure, how badly it wants to get from point A to point B. Current is the amount that flows past any given point in so much time. Pouring out a bucket onto the driveway is high current, low voltage. A waterjet cutter is extremely high voltage, not necessarily high current.

Thread Information