Quantcast

Thread: Do all aftermarket Model 2 A/V cables have their audio channels reversed?

Default Do all aftermarket Model 2 A/V cables have their audio channels reversed?

I noticed that with all aftermarket Model 2 A/V cables, the left audio channel (and mono audio) is on the red cable and the right audio channel is on the white cable. Were the official ones like this? I never had them before so I really don't know. I noticed this because when I plug in the red cable into the white RCA jack of my PC speakers, the left speaker has sound (and vice verse for the white cable when it's plugged into the red RCA jack). My speakers are connected properly, left and right, in the left and right TRS jacks, letter L speaker is placed on the left and letter R speaker on the right of my TV. Sorry for all those repetitive details, but I'm just letting you all know my speaker setup surely is connected up properly. Lastly, comparing the Model 1 speaker output to the A/V output of the Model 2, I can tell the channels are reversed on my headphones.

One more thing, my Genesis 3 is the same way. Mono audio only comes out of the red plug, nothing out of the white plug. I had to bridge the right audio pin with the mono audio pin under the DIN port for dual mono.

So, were all aftermarket Model 2 A/V stereo cables just wired incorrectly?

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

By the looks of things, yes. Worse still, some "stereo" Genesis Model 2 A/V cables are actually DUAL MONO, meaning both the red and white RCA outs are wired directly to the mono output on the console's 9-pin mini-DIN (be on the lookout for these... they're good for a stock Genesis 3 if your TV is too stupid to split a mono source to both speakers, but utterly pointless and misleading for everything else). The two proper stereo cables that came my way, though, were both wired incorrectly in the same way you observed.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

AKA Mister Xiado Outrunner Raijin Z's Avatar

Disheartening. I was hoping that ordering a different set of cables would have remedied the issue, but of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    By the looks of things, yes. Worse still, some "stereo" Genesis Model 2 A/V cables are actually DUAL MONO, meaning both the red and white RCA outs are wired directly to the mono output on the console's 9-pin mini-DIN (be on the lookout for these... they're good for a stock Genesis 3 if your TV is too stupid to split a mono source to both speakers, but utterly pointless and misleading for everything else). The two proper stereo cables that came my way, though, were both wired incorrectly in the same way you observed.
    Oh damn, didn't know those kinds of cables existed. I definitely know it's not dual mono though, I can just tell by hearing it compared to my Genesis 3. And also with the Genesis 3, it didn't output audio on the white plug, only one audio plug output audio from my Genesis 3 (the red one) before I did the simple solder bridge "fix" to the Model 3 to get dual mono. But honestly, these cables are the reason I put TRS jacks on my Model 2s that I also add S-Video to so that it'll be wired properly with better quality audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Disheartening. I was hoping that ordering a different set of cables would have remedied the issue, but of course not.
    Yep, same here. I thought buying different types of aftermarket cables would give me a different result too but nope, they've all been the same.

Too bad we can't just get the parts and wire our own cables. The proprietary connectors and the boots for them are impossible to source. Hell, I can't even find Atari-style plugs because all of the "make your own serial cable" plugs are thick pieces of trash that won't plug into a Genesis. Of course the solution to the A/V cable problem is to just add s-video, composite, and stereo ports to the system itself, but that's just ugly.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Say what now? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Male-9-Pin-Mi...GI3e-9t97BsVrQ

Not a single Genesis revision uses a non-standard connector for the A/V output. 8-pin DIN and 9-pin mini-DIN are both standard connects, but 9-pin mini DIN isn't as easy to come by (even worse for the Saturn's 10-pin mini-DIN)
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Too bad we can't just get the parts and wire our own cables. The proprietary connectors and the boots for them are impossible to source. Hell, I can't even find Atari-style plugs because all of the "make your own serial cable" plugs are thick pieces of trash that won't plug into a Genesis. Of course the solution to the A/V cable problem is to just add s-video, composite, and stereo ports to the system itself, but that's just ugly.
    I went to a local electronics store and got everything I needed to build a cable - the Mini-Din 9, resistors, multi-lead cable, and terminating connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Cool, thanks. I came up with nucking fothing for years when hunting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
    I went to a local electronics store and got everything I needed to build a cable - the Mini-Din 9, resistors, multi-lead cable, and terminating connectors.
    Rather fortunate, but even before Radio Shack fell down went boom, they stopped selling most components (unless you wanted to pay $6 per LED from a "this is all of our components" case the size of a toolchest) a long time ago. At least in the area about 200 miles around me. The stories about miserable RS managers expressing their dismay to the few who knew what a Zener diode is, were quite depressing.

Sports Talker

I discovered this a couple of years ago and thought it was only my cable .... uh!!!
    And I discovered it in the "best" of way, playing Outrun.
    I have 2 genny, a model 1 and a model 2. I made the stereo mod on the model 1 and somehow it worked weirdly ... as I was diagnosing why (turns out it was my switch box that had a bad solder nothing wrong with my mod on the Genny itself) I was switching back and forth between the 2 units and finally noticed that Outrun makes the sound of a car you overtake come from the speaker where the car is .... didn't really noticed it much before that point (yeah I know attention to details yada yada yada) and low and behold the model 1 and the model 2 after the switch box fix had the engine sound coming from opposite speakers ..... never had the time to actually order another cable ..... I wonder if now someone would start selling correct cables.

[note: anyone remembers the Coleco Chameleon, their HW engineer wanted to use a Genny model 2 9 pin din connector for the AV saying that there are plenty of AV cables for it ... well what do you know? The CC would have had inverted stereo ... I'm sure a "feature" not a bug]

Why the hell would all those cables end up being wired wrong when there isn't even any benefit to it? (i.e. no reduction in cost) Was there some old schematic out there that listed them inverted?

For the record, Columns has the sound effects coming from the side of the player that caused them, if you want another game to test.

Thread Information