Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Did you know the Dos version of Golden Axe lets you play as the Final Boss?

  1. #1
    Road Rasher stika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Did you know the Dos version of Golden Axe lets you play as the Final Boss?

    Hey everyone,

    This week I did video on the Ms-Dos port of Golden Axe and this might just be the best port of the game ever! You can play as the final boss in the game, or any enemy in the game, or even as a dragon riding a dragon that shoots dragons

    Please check out my YouTube channel

  2. #2
    Road Rasher
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    472
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Graphics are really good, but gameplay was really bad, though I played it a lot on my 286...
    Last edited by Nightwolf; 06-16-2017 at 12:50 PM.

  3. #3
    Raging in the Streets
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,150
    Rep Power
    64

    Default

    Honestly for the era, this is a pretty good DOS port.

    If you liked arcade games then yeah the PC was a bad time, the Amiga version isn't that much better though.

  4. #4
    Road Rasher stika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Yeah but what other version lets you play as a dragon riding a dragon? :P
    Please check out my YouTube channel

  5. #5
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher avlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    405
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Nice video! That was both hilarious and informative.

  6. #6
    Prince of Shatt Master of Shinobi CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    "Now I'm a dragon, riding a dragon, that shoots other dragons!" Hilarious.

    I stumbled upon this "feature" of the game when I was a kid; it was quite the surprise for me that it actually worked, and it was lots of fun.
    Thanks for making a video to share this version of the game with people who may not have otherwise been aware of it.
    - Brandon Cobb
    President, Super Fighter Team

    Check out Beggar Prince, the new RPG for Sega Genesis / Mega Drive!
    Nightmare Busters is pretty cool, too. It's for the Super Nintendo.

  7. #7
    Road Rasher stika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
    "Now I'm a dragon, riding a dragon, that shoots other dragons!" Hilarious.

    I stumbled upon this "feature" of the game when I was a kid; it was quite the surprise for me that it actually worked, and it was lots of fun.
    Thanks for making a video to share this version of the game with people who may not have otherwise been aware of it.
    I'm pretty surprised how there are no videos about this on YouTube.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

  8. #8
    Road Rasher
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    472
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I think, probably because old DOS games are underappreciate under "retro" world. I am not an youtube consumer, but I enjoyed your vid. It was really fun

  9. #9
    Prince of Shatt Master of Shinobi CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    I think, probably because old DOS games are underappreciate under "retro" world.
    That's an understatement. Though it's likely partially because there's a learning curve involved getting many DOS games to work the way you want them to. Even under DOSBox, which takes a lot of the stress out of it, certain titles can be a chore to work with. Believe me: I've been putzing about with DOS games since I was a kid, and some of them *still* like to give me a hard time even on real hardware! Though for me, such challenges are part of the fun. (Obviously I'm deranged.)
    - Brandon Cobb
    President, Super Fighter Team

    Check out Beggar Prince, the new RPG for Sega Genesis / Mega Drive!
    Nightmare Busters is pretty cool, too. It's for the Super Nintendo.

  10. #10
    Raging in the Streets
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,150
    Rep Power
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    Yeah but what other version lets you play as a dragon riding a dragon? :P
    I... yeah

  11. #11
    Road Rasher stika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    I... yeah
    haha :P

    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
    That's an understatement. Though it's likely partially because there's a learning curve involved getting many DOS games to work the way you want them to. Even under DOSBox, which takes a lot of the stress out of it, certain titles can be a chore to work with. Believe me: I've been putzing about with DOS games since I was a kid, and some of them *still* like to give me a hard time even on real hardware! Though for me, such challenges are part of the fun. (Obviously I'm deranged.)
    Usually most games can be fixed by increasing or decreasing the cycle count. But yeah, some games are a pain to get to run.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

  12. #12
    Master of Shinobi Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,192
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    With DOSBox you have the problem that a lot of games just don't run due to emulation issues, e.g. Glasnos 3 won't run unless you explicitly mess with the BIOS to disable reporting the FPU (there's a NOFPU program for that at least) since FPU emulation is not correct and causes the game to miscompute a checksum. Some games crash at random or just outright won't run no matter what workarounds you try.

  13. #13
    Road Rasher stika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    With DOSBox you have the problem that a lot of games just don't run due to emulation issues, e.g. Glasnos 3 won't run unless you explicitly mess with the BIOS to disable reporting the FPU (there's a NOFPU program for that at least) since FPU emulation is not correct and causes the game to miscompute a checksum. Some games crash at random or just outright won't run no matter what workarounds you try.
    Very true :\
    Please check out my YouTube channel

  14. #14
    The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,020
    Rep Power
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
    Though for me, such challenges are part of the fun.
    I hear that, half the fun of MS-DOS is getting it all to work perfectly.

    Only thing I hate is when you got those games that are pretty much designed to need a boot disk for memory reasons. (I mean wtf kinda game needs exactly 640K?)

    I think that was Ringworld 2..

    Anyhoo, great review man! I didn't even known Golden Axe looked this great for DOS. I kinda expected it to be all blue/purple again.

  15. #15
    AKA Mister Xiado Outrunner Raijin Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    543
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I kinda expected it to be all blue/purple again.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •