Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Polymega...

Default The Polymega...

I woke this morning and seen this in my feed. Thoughts and comments. http://www.pcmag.com/news/354441/pol...system-support
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

I only saw the video comparing loading times against a real Neo Geo CD and... holy shit NGCD is ridiculous at this. I don't know how good the Polymega is, but the way more bearable loading times alone may make it worth it =P

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner avlon's Avatar

^As an owner of the NGCD... yea, depending on the game, it can get pretty bad.
    I've been following this thing since its original name (Retroblox) and it looks interesting although I'm not sure what to think about what they are calling "hybrid emulation". Sounds like a bunch of marketing BS to me since as far as I know, it's not FPGA based.
    Last edited by avlon; 06-21-2017 at 12:38 PM.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

I'd get one for the TG16CD functionality alone, but it definitely looks like a heapin' helpin' of pie in the sky.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I only saw the video comparing loading times against a real Neo Geo CD and... holy shit NGCD is ridiculous at this. I don't know how good the Polymega is, but the way more bearable loading times alone may make it worth it =P

Wouldn't emulation which reads Neo Geo CD disc images be much faster?

Even then, the only point to playing Neo Geo CD games besides the few exclusives, is to appreciate the authentic experience and compare them to authentic cart versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Could you explain what makes "Hybrid emulation" so special?

Without going into an extreme technical explanation, Hybrid Emulation allows emulators to read cartridges and controllers electrically so that they function like the real consoles did when they're connected to a modern system on a chip (SOC) style processor. So, instead of dumping the ROM file from the cartridge and holding it in resident memory as other consoles do, we read the data that is input and output from the connectors on the Element Module directly to the CPU at a "bare metal" level like the real systems. This means we never have to guess what's happening inside the cartridge, significantly increasing compatibility with homebrew cartridges and other special types of games that aren't likely to work well on a 100 percent emulation system.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201..._rule_them_all

Hmmm...
    Last edited by avlon; 06-22-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Yeah, that's just emulation, just less stuff is being emulated than in most clones like this. And yeah I can see why that's a big deal, it means mappers and coprocessors will just work as-is without having to emulate them (also unusual peripherals, e.g. mouses instead of controllers).

I wouldn't call it "hybrid" though. But I guess they need a way to differentiate it.

I guess it sounds better than partial emulation for marketing purposes? \_(ツ)_/

For a lot of funkier coprocessor features though, you'll have to emulate not only with cycle-accurate precision, but also with appropriate timing as well.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Vaporware?
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Everything is vaporware to me until people actually have units to buy.

I threw the SSD3 into the same bucket until units started coming out which I was glad to be wrong on, looks very nice with the new updates coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

they had a working prototype at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in October of 2016. You'd think by now they'd have some more information about it.

Recent update. I'm still admittedly skeptical, but it's good to see some kind of progress.

Last edited by avlon; 04-21-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Here is the release trailer. Apparently it's up for pre-order but the site is getting hammered, so no details other than they added Sega Saturn support out-of-the-box.

I'm particularly curious as to how it will support the actual controllers for consoles that don't have separate modules.

That trailer caught my interest with the sharp looking Panzer Dragoon and Sega Rally footage... only to remember that I already have enhanced console ports of those games on Xbox and PS2. Wish they had use other game footage, but I feel like I could just catch up on Saturn emulation to see what's possible since that's all this is more or less.

The modular design seems like a poor idea. Controller wires are a bad idea. I'm not the market for these emulator boxes and don't see the appeal of using real games on a phony box, but at least it's a nice looking box.

Thread Information