Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Polymega...

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I'm definitely interested, mainly for the old PC games. It will finally give me a reason to keep them after more than two decades.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Sadly don't have the money but I really do want this.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

The idea and product look amazing, but I worried the emu will not live up to the Hype. They had to use Model 2 footage of Rally for staters
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi

I hope this turns out to be great, but I'm quite sceptical. If they've developed their own emulators as is claimed, that's a heck of a lot of work to get right first time out. I'll be honest, the system list made me wonder if they'd ported Mednafen.

Well first they need to fix the website so it does just kick you to wordpress sign in and password screen...

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    I'll be honest, the system list made me wonder if they'd ported Mednafen.
    Hmm, just saw this post over at the Mednafen forums:

Knowledge of any Mednafen developers' private consulting work or original code licensing involving commercial projects should not be interpreted as endorsements of said projects.
    Could just be a coincidence, or perhaps this thing is using Mednafen after all. If so, that Saturn emulation will have needed some major optimization to work on low powered hardware.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently their site was briefly up again and all of a sudden they've changed their statement about the emulators being developed in-house, and it's no longer using any FPGA cores. Yeah, this isn't filling me with confidence.
    Last edited by Silanda; 09-06-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

In my opinion this is a flawed, but interesting idea. Emulation works best when it's on something you have already, like a PC or Android handheld. It strikes me as too geeky and requiring such specific knowledge and patience to run well on a per game basis it that rules out Joe and Josephine Public to a big degree.

People like 'us' are emulation customers in my view.

A 'box' like this needs to just work 'perfectly' straight off, by which I mean play any game straight off with no settings to tweak, giving a console like experience from the days when settings were minimum. Plug and play in other words.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner avlon's Avatar

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...sole_successor

The disastrous launch has waned my interest in this thing. They got caught with their pants down by using Sega arcade footage in place of Saturn footage claiming it's a mistake.

When I asked about KOF 95 support for the Saturn, they claimed it would work with the cart before I explained to them that it's a ROM cart and NOT a ram cart. That is something that they should have known straight up since it's a pretty important and well known fact about that port.

I don't wish to judge one way or the other until it actually comes out. The problem is they want people to pre-order, and no shot I'm doing that. No way.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I have an Intel Broadwell NUC that I got for free. It will run all of the ROMS I throw at it with ease, all within a really small box with an SSD.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I am also interested to see how the emulation works out. If it's anything like the Retron 5, I'll be satisfied. Price-pending, obviously.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Avlon, that's interesting about that ROM cart, I just had a read.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker nv0bdizc's Avatar

On paper it's everything I've ever wanted out of an emulation system, but they're promising an awful lot right out of the gate. Writing an emulator can be deceptively difficult because you can get the first 80% done comparatively easily and delude yourself into thinking the remaining 20% (say, compatibility for undocumented hardware bugs/features that were exploited by that one infamous game ...) will be just as swift and easy. I suspect it'll be complicated by the high demands for fidelity from their target audience, who will be hardcore retro-gamers and not the casual S/NES-Mini consumer.

Best of luck to them though.

Do you know what sucks about this whole ordeal? One of the biggest grabs for the Polymega was the Neo Geo CD load times (which is actually shown to work). If you want something that feels like a console to use but actually makes the CD games feel playable (especially the late ones with more load times than Sonic '06) then it definitely seems like a good option.

No idea how it'll pan out but goddamn they're trashing it hard with this launch, huh? (yesterday there was outright a SSL error on the site)

Aren't they licensing emulation for several of the systems? I believe there's many "out to get them" but it's their own fault. They've been terrible with PR the entire time. Botched crowd funding. Nothing but pie in the sky promises with zero to back it up with. Once more, it's another example where if you can't work largely in silence, and make a big splash when the thing is ready, you shouldn't do it.

Thread Information