Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Polymega...

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

$250 for the base unit plus extra $$$ for each system you want to emulate? LOL no thanks!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

This is the biggest flaw here. It should just play the lot from the get go with a bluetooth receiver. If you want to use original controllers you could pay a reasonable price for an extra box with all necessary control ports, if the devs simply must have a modular setup.

They really should just make it all in one, it's a cool idea and would look smart but it's a bit of a swizz to make you pay for each unit.

Master of Shinobi

Urgh, if the fact that they're crowdfunding themselves, with no outside oversight, wasn't enough of a red flag for me, the disingenuous claim that it supports 30 systems doesn't exactly warm me to it either. They're counting regional variations as separate systems. I hate shitty marketing like that.

Also: "Sega Dreamcast will be committed to if its reward level goal is reached."

How do they plan on reading GD-ROMs? Magic?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner avlon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Avlon, that's interesting about that ROM cart, I just had a read.
    The fact that they are promising things that they don't really understand is a huge red flag. Plus, last minute changes and the fact that they are crowdfunding themselves.

I was pretty excited to see what they were going to come up with, but at this point I will wait and see. IMO, it would help tremendously if they let BOB from RetroRGB review it.

Gromble of pirates...? Outrunner Bramsworth's Avatar

I feel sorry for all the people letting themselves get duped into this. Was especially disappointed to see the Video Game History Foundation somehow got roped up into it. How could Frank have used his judgment to find nothing wrong with this thing? Maybe he was duped, too.

It's pretty funny looking at some of their responses on Facebook and Twitter to people with nothing but reasonable questions. The console itself feels like another Coleco Chameleon while their social media PR reminds me of Ocean Marketing and that whole Avenger controller incident some years back. Whoever manages their social media sure has a snarky attitude, anyway.
    I'm Pro A'can

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

The price does make it feel very unattainable. Especially when it's only the base model and you need to buy every addon separately. But even then, I am excited to see where this goes.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

can anyone explain to me what the advantage of this machine is compared to just using emulators on your pc for free?

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I think the above indicates that we are not a good target market for this, if we are that is. We usually have the tools and the ideation to do this stuff anyway as stated. When it comes to stuff like Neo Geo CD, which was pretty niche anyway, the average customer with a vague interest in rekindling old gaming interests of their youth are more likely to be SNES mini types who'd just dabble. This setup seems less dabbly.

For the PS1 customers there are plenty of original cheap consoles left that work well if one had a stack of old games found in an attic. Or they'd use a PS3, I'm sure plenty of folk have those as their primary console still.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Thing about PS1 emulation here is that it's completely moot. Nothing your PS3 can't already do.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    can anyone explain to me what the advantage of this machine is compared to just using emulators on your pc for free?
    Very little, but one could make the same claim about the AnalogNT, Retron series by Hyperkin, or any other clone system. They do sell though. Many people simply don't like emulating on a PC. Others prefer to have a method of playing their original games via HDMI. It's a niche of a niche, that's for sure. Terra Onion or Hyperkin I could see putting this product out, but a team that is completely new and without any history, again, unwise.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner avlon's Avatar

The way I look at it is that the average person wants simplicity. It's why Apple outsells everyone despite other options allowing far more choice and flexibility.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker nv0bdizc's Avatar

Legality. Simplicity. The "console experience." Ability to use legacy hardware without a mess of adapters.

Fidelity possibly, depending on how good their emulation turns out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by nv0bdizc View Post
    Legality. Simplicity. The "console experience." Ability to use legacy hardware without a mess of adapters.

Fidelity possibly, depending on how good their emulation turns out to be.
    Then get a retron, which is much cheaper even with the addons.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

It looks better and is easier for people to set up (you just plug in it)
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker nv0bdizc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by afro man dan View Post
    Then get a retron, which is much cheaper even with the addons.
    Be my guest. He asked for a comparison to PC emulation.

Thread Information