Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Montana II: Sports Talk Football

I believe "Lakers versus Celtics" and Pat Riley were reviewed in the same time period or even in the same issue of EGM's Sega spin-off magazine, "Mega Play" I think. I saw a scan of it and they preferred Lakers over Pat Riley, but neither game got that high of a score (Lakers got a "5" from someone).

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    Yeah, NBA Action was nice, but EA already had a terrific series with the ______ vs. ______ games.
    The vs. games were decent, but as the years went by, EA's basketball games got worse. NBA Live '96 (for example) was just boring, IMO. Even nowadays, Live is still inferior to the 2K series.

I'd say EA dominated just about every major 16-bit sport other than baseball, which was Sega's one great achievement. As I said in the review, I do think the later NFL games by Sega really improved greatly, but by that time I think the mainstream had already accepted Madden as the football game to buy.
    I thought Sega's football games were never considered great until NFL 2K? I remember everyone hating NFL '97 on Saturn (and rightly, I might add).

I don't believe Sega ever updated World Championship Soccer in the US, either.
    There was a World Championship Soccer II, but it didn't come out until 1994.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    I thought Sega's football games were never considered great until NFL 2K? I remember everyone hating NFL '97 on Saturn (and rightly, I might add).
    Great as in surpassing Madden, which is what NFK2K did to finally put Sega Sports back on the map. Still, the latter Genesis NFL games were good, just not good enough to have people exchange their copies of Madden for it. Kinda like, I could play World Heroes, but why bother when I have Street Fighter II?

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    I thought this screenshot summed up the whole "money play" aspect -- 7 pass attempts; four completions; four touchdowns. To each his own, I suppose, but I still think that lack of AI is a problem and not a positive, and that includes modern games with "money plays" as well.
    I think its the halfback pass if i remember correctly, id have to go home and get my NOMAD and play it on there to get it. It wont work on my emulator for some reason. i remember beating miami 196-14 though lol.

There's just one thing that can be said about this game.

"I Can't Believe It."
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Here we go, Joe Montana II: Sports Talk Football has 3 releases in the US.

1. The original (which I didn't take a pic of the box durr)
    2. Sega Classic
    3. Sega Classic (recycled)

You can't spot a difference looking at it this way:

On the back you can see one has a part number and is made with recycled paper.

The recycled version has a C on the spin, 1209C instead of 1209.

Perhaps the cart label is different, perhaps not. The original cart seems to have a more well defined (brighter) grid pattern than the Sega Classics carts. Of course in this pic my original cart is faded.

In this view you can see more of a difference. The cart on top and left are the Sega Classics carts. They are the same in quality, even if the picture makes them look different. The original cart is more faded, again the grid is brighter and there is a slight registration error on the part number on the front (makes it look blurry).

Besides label differences, the original vs Sega Classic carts are slightly different. The original cart just has the Caution info on the back, the newer versions have the patent info on it also. All 3 are Sega Made in Japan.

The Sega Classics releases have the same manual as the original, but have no other inserts besides this epilepsy warning.

The original version has the mail in card and then the Patents printed out on paper. Just think of how much they had to pay to get the cart mold retooled to put the patent info on it, rather than just keep included these pieces of paper!

The original also has this ad for the Game Gear, and the fold-out poster showing Sonic on the front. Interesting this poster has the "Sega Genesis Seal of Quality" and suddenly I am wondering if they ever made a correction to this like they did with the Sonic box artwork itself? Also, all this stuff in the case makes it so it doesn't close properly.

And a bonus image for this entry in Variations Today.... We have here the original sales receipt for the first release of the game, showing the original sale price of $59.99 and someone bought it from Toys R Us on December 6th 1991. And that the customer bought it in cash, handing the cashier $70 to get this... AND the cashier accidentally rang it up twice!

Here's the back of the receipt with a stamp on it.

Link to the full gallery for your zoomin' needs.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/g9QuU
    Sega Genesis Master Set
    Games: 378: https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

I love these product comparison posts of yours. I know this sounds lame, but I got a kick out of the recycled paper one using more ink for the larger UPC. Getting the original receipt with a second hand game is always a nice bonus, too. Plus, now I know what to give my girlfriend for Christmas. Thanks, Geoffrey!

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    In this view you can see more of a difference. The cart on top and left are the Sega Classics carts. They are the same in quality, even if the picture makes them look different. The original cart is more faded, again the grid is brighter and there is a slight registration error on the part number on the front (makes it look blurry).
    My copy looks like the one on the bottom left. I don't have the box. The ROM IC has a September, 1992 date code, so, either:

A.) The original box design was reprinted during 1992.

-or-

B.) It's a 'Sega Classic' version that was manufactured several months prior to being released in 1993.

I would rely more on the cart stampings for determining when it came out rather than the artwork. Because no one can really know how common a printing error is on a label without being able to track many carts. And when it comes to this particular one, it may well be impossible to do it with other people's (ebay) photos. As even I point out here, my own photo does not properly show the differences as an in-hand inspection does.
    Sega Genesis Master Set
    Games: 378: https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    I would rely more on the cart stampings for determining when it came out rather than the artwork.
    Never rely on one thing. Use the artwork, the embossed lettering, and the information printed on the ROM IC. Opening the cartridge makes all the difference in the world.

Thread Information