Quantcast

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fei Hao MD clone with HDMI out

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I got mine yesterday. Very quick delivery from AliExpress. The build quality is solid. For some reason the headphone jack from mine didn't output any audio.

Some observations so far:
    HDMI output is very good. Really useful for me as my TV doesn't have any legacy outputs.
    No noticeable new slowdown or skipped frames
    Good - fairly accurate audio
    Played Everdrive
    Worked with 3rd party controllers

The PAL region lock which unfortunately renders a lot of my cartridges useless
    Audio still sounds funny at certain points - noticeable when I was playing SOR2
    The mono sound does get annoying
    A few games from the Everdrive didn't work - rockman, NBA jam TE, Blades of Vengeance crashed half way through the first level. I'll try different ROMs.

Overall very happy with this.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    For the headphone and RCA outs, yes. In fact, if you install a Mega Amp 2.0 Pro, you could even decide how to filter each output.

But I don't think you can get stereo out of the HDMI out as it would appear the GT208 only has a single audio input, which would be a MASSIVE oversight if that's actually the case. I will buy one of these things soon, so I'll be able to conduct a more thorough investigation into this.
    thaaat is so great ace ^^ , cant wait for your audio fix for this clone.

Here is the model 2 version. This one actually has the Mega Drive logo unlike the model 1 version, although I don't know why they did the buttons and cart door completely black. The power switch is better than the model 1 version and the included wired 6-button controller is better than the wired 3-button controller included in the model 1 version. The Mega CD cover is molded into the bottom casing unlike the model 1 version.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Hell, I kinda want the Model II for the box alone.

That's done damn fine box.

What the Select button on those controllers for? Or is it just a mislabeled Mode button?

Still mono only sound from the HDMI out on this MD II version I assume?

The MD2 version is also in mono. Seems to be identical to the MD1 version other than the lack of the headphone jack.

The Select button by itself doesn't seem to do anything. It doesn't seem to be a Mode button because if you hold it down then power the console on, it will just display a white screen.

I discovered that when the console is off, holding Select and the dpad in any direction for a few seconds will put the controller into what seems to be a pairing mode. The light on the controller will rapidly flash. When the console is powered on, the light stops flashing. The controller are automatically paired so you shouldn't even need to do this.

I also found out that when the console is on, holding Select and Start for a few seconds and the light will flash slowly. Then when you release the buttons, the console will reset.

Also for some reason, Fatal Fury 2 will not work with these wireless controllers. The controls are totally screwed up.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis32XCD
    Also for some reason, Fatal Fury 2 will not work with these wireless controllers. The controls are totally screwed up.
    Does it work with the wired ones?

FF2 does this same thing on the 6 button version of At Games portables.

It works fine with the wired one.

Was taking a look at Fatal Fury 2's code and it seems like it's trying to tell if a controller is there by checking the peripheral ID (which is done by probing the values of the pins and looking for a pattern). Real controllers will pass the test, but I could see how something cheaply simulated may fail the test.

Other than that, I don't spot anything truly weird (aside from being somewhat overengineered). OK, it's setting some bits that shouldn't get set, but the hardware should be ignoring them anyway since it was told to do so =P

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Apparently not. Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that this clone is mono only on all outputs. You would need a mod to fix that up.
    Hello ace, do you have the diagram for the tct 6803/6801?
    I want to get the psg and 2 FM and process to the installation of the mega amp thank you a lot

I just discovered a weird thing with my Fei Hao clone (the MD1 HD model), it has a big problem with highlight / shadow : it looks like the highlight / shadow effect is completely missing !
    In fact strangely enough, highlight / shadow sprite operators (color 0x3E and 0x3F) seems to be somehow recognized as these sprite aren't draw when highlight / shadow is enabled, but so they are just transparent while still hiding overlapped sprites. In this end they just act as masking sprite to make background appearing on overlapped sprites (visible on Street Racer intro, where PRESS START test can sometime override some racer sprite).
    Is my clone broken or is it the case of all TCT6803 based clones ? Note that i'm using HDMI output, maybe the issue doesn't exist with RCA output...

Sports Talker

Hii everyone, yesterday i put a mega amp circuit on this clone and sounds fantastic, but I can't get stereo audio through the HDMI out because are only one input for analog audio, so I connect the mono output on the audio input for the HDMI encoder and the full stereo out on the RCAs outputs behind on the system, I will upload photos on the night time

I tested the RCA and even if it has 2 audio output (L and R) it looks like it's also mixed mono audio only :-/
    I wonder if there is a way to retrieve stereo from somewhere else. I'm the only one experiencing missing Highlight / shadow effect ??

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Nice to these have mass produce and out on sale in many areas on the net. Still, were finally get close to a clone console, just fix the image issues and sound to true stereo.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Thread Information