Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cable Surge Protector advise needed.

Libruhl Snowflāk Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    but any sufficiently high voltage don't need no stinking conductors to complete a circuit.
    Certainly, especially considering the tiny amount of space between contacts on most switches.

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    My experience shows that lightning kills the protection device and the device that is supposed to be protected. I unplug all cables going into the walls when there's a storm coming near, it also helps to move the cables away from the sockets if you want to be super safe. The lightning could come couple km down the sky, it can jump across all the few mm gaps in the protectors and still get in your device(s).
    This!

I run all of my expensive stuff through a UPS. I have a UPS in the living room and 2 UPS units (uninterrupted power supply) for the computers in my office. The stuff I don't have on a UPS is connected to Tripp-Lite isobar diagnostic surge suppressers.

I've had 2 cases where lightning destroyed something in my home. The 1st one was on me, when I used a cheap surge suppresser power strip that melted from a lightning strike and took out a television. The second was on Verizon, when a lightning strike sent high voltage through their Ethernet cable, destroyed the router and took out the Ethernet ports on 2 Xbox 360s and a motherboard on one of my PCs. Everything was connected to a UPS, but Verizon still refused to acknowledge that it was their poorly grounded Ethernet cable that did the damage.

Anyways, you might want to try this Segaedge. I'm not 100% confident in it, but it's better than nothing for an incoming coaxial cable.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tripp-Lit...&wl13=&veh=sem
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I was just looking at my own setup a couple of days ago actually regarding this kind of thing. Thankfully I have quite a number of large trees (taller than the roof line) near my house so the odds of me personally getting struck are lower, but like others said the lines from the companies are still an issue. Cable I don't really care about as much since the modem/router are a minimal investment and the odds are low, it's more the actual power lines.

Upstairs TV and those consoles run off two individual surge protectors, the basement with all my retro gaming is a heavy duty extension cord to a mid-range surge protector (which is normally off unless being used), then it has a couple simple power strips run off of it to power all the consoles. Not perfect but it works for me, I should probably upgrade the surge protector though since the PVM in the basement would probably be the hardest part of the setup to replace.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Anyways, you might want to try this Segaedge. I'm not 100% confident in it, but it's better than nothing for an incoming coaxial cable.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tripp-Lit...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Thanks for the link! it was worth giving this a look.

By now I've read all sorts of information about lighting strikes, spikes and what not. My conclusion to it all so far is that those surge protectors can only protect so much and in some cases they can make things worse. The surge protectors with coaxial IN/OUT will noticeably degrade the signal and they won't work properly for internet/modem cable connections .

Homes should be properly grounded (even thou mine is fairly new and seems to be) there are also more solid home electric wiring devices that will help deter/re-route the spike in case of a strike but require a professional approach. The cheapest and best solution when possible is to simply unplug the devices as many of you like TmEE and others have suggested + did I mention? its free . I guess I should be thankful that nothing else blew. I have read horror stories about every single device in every room in some house dying because of this .

I was one of those peeps that used to read and think that this will never happen to me, I sure was wrong. Mother nature is unpredictable, so be prepare.
    Last edited by Segaedge; 07-18-2017 at 12:17 AM.

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

I think you'll be fine if you use the device that EyeDeeNo76 posted. You'll need to install it at the outside of the house and run a #11 ground cable to the phone ground, or directly to the grounding post next to your house. A lightning strike will head straight to ground instead of right through you coax into the home. And don't worry about signal degradation. There are probably a ton of splitters and repeaters between your home and the main hub; your little grounding point isn't going to do much to a digital signal.

Also, most damage done from lightning strikes are not a direct hit to your home. It can strike an object near by and disperse to the surrounding area. I once had to replace an outdoor point to point network radio, after lightning struck the building next door.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information