Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YM2017 cartridge album

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Sent a mail . Fingers crossed!
    Yeah...saw a post on FB from Skullelectronics, stating they are getting reports of the cart crashing on PAL Megadrives.... you are in Sweden, so I would assume you are using a PAL version?

Update: I got a reply. He said the issue was related to PAL machines (i.e. the 50 Hz signal). So I simply switched my console to 60 Hz, and V”ILA, it works flawlessly . No need to ship the cart back to him for a reflash when they have figured out the problem, as he had offered. All cool now, and I really like all the songs. Jredd's is my fave .

Btw, can any1 send me a print of the black boxart? I'll pay topgold for it!

https://catskullelectronics.com/publ...2017covers.zip
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I would like to have some covers pro done as well. I actually redid the black version of the YM2017 cover using elements from both along with some newly created ones. Just another option...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgru2073l3...Cover.png?dl=0

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

I can't believe I missed out on this. This is unacceptable. My cyber-brain's logic circuits are locking up, meltdown is imminent.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Lycanphoenix's Avatar

Does it run on the 68010?

Heads up! It was announced last night that a 2nd run of these carts will be getting released! Pre-order sign up right here!!!

https://catskullelectronics.com/YM2017

4:20 pm, crossbow. Nice!

Already pre-ordered- I only discovered this last week and thought I missed the boat for good. The led vu is the next level. I have a clear shell case thatís perfect for it too!

I hope we get a ym2018. Would be sweet to get some visual art (alternative digital vu, music videos, album Covers).

Quote Originally Posted by ironnick23 View Post
    4:20 pm, crossbow. Nice!

Already pre-ordered- I only discovered this last week and thought I missed the boat for good. The led vu is the next level. I have a clear shell case thatís perfect for it too!

I hope we get a ym2018. Would be sweet to get some visual art (alternative digital vu, music videos, album Covers).
    Few things you might want to know about how this works. The VU meter isn't really reading the values or loudness from the channels. The VU activity is programmed for each song to mimic what you see like a VU. Also, the cart will already be in a clear shell just like the last release was unless they are doing something different, but in order to see the VU matrix display it pretty much has to be in a clear cart shell to work.

I did ask and had hoped that the teaser pic earlier in the week from Catskull meant there might be a YM2018 or a volume 2 with additional tracks for YM2017. But nope...it was to tease this second release for the original YM2017 cart. Very unique and I do hope they sell well. I did notice the price is quite a bit more compared to last time. I believe I paid $45 + shipping last year for my cart, so I'm kinda surprised to see them at $60 + shipping now.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Also, the cart will already be in a clear shell just like the last release was unless they are doing something different, but in order to see the VU matrix display it pretty much has to be in a clear cart shell to work.
    What I meant was I have a old clear rental case that would match the clear shell of the cartridge.

I have only been able to find a select few albums with a cartridge release:

TH4 D34D - Future 2612 - available as a rom download from their page. Uses a very fitting GUI

Inverse Phase - Biteration I: Genesis Of Consequence - planning on a cart release

Freezedream - Today - took some time for me to find a rom, released in 2010.

YM2017 - the rom is open source, very happy to note it works perfect on my setup(MD1HD,32x, SCD). More than happy to support this project

Color Mechanica - Note! - Sega Cd release. to my knowledge this album uses cd audio rather than the console chips, but includes next level visuals

Eternalist: A Telefuture Compilation - I cannot find a rom dump of this anywhere, let alone samples from the cart release. There was a kickstarter than seems to have all but disappeared.
    https://www.discogs.com/lists/Also-a.../272362?page=2

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    I believe I paid $45 + shipping last year for my cart, so I'm kinda surprised to see them at $60 + shipping now
    9 unique artists, all tracks are excellent, and the cart itself is the only one of its kind. Pretty cheap imo considering the limited (second) run.
    Last edited by ironnick23; 07-15-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironnick23 View Post
    What I meant was I have a old clear rental case that would match the clear shell of the cartridge.

I have only been able to find a select few albums with a cartridge release:

TH4 D34D - Future 2612 - available as a rom download from their page. Uses a very fitting GUI

Inverse Phase - Biteration I: Genesis Of Consequence - planning on a cart release

Freezedream - Today - took some time for me to find a rom, released in 2010.

YM2017 - the rom is open source, very happy to note it works perfect on my setup(MD1HD,32x, SCD). More than happy to support this project

Color Mechanica - Note! - Sega Cd release. to my knowledge this album uses cd audio rather than the console chips, but includes next level visuals

Eternalist: A Telefuture Compilation - I cannot find a rom dump of this anywhere, let alone samples from the cart release. There was a kickstarter than seems to have all but disappeared.
    https://www.discogs.com/lists/Also-a.../272362?page=2

9 unique artists, all tracks are excellent, and the cart itself is the only one of its kind. Pretty cheap imo considering the limited (second) run.
    Yes in addition to YM2017 I do own TH4 D34D Future 2612 on cart as well. I also pre-paid for the Inverse Phase cart, but I haven't gotten an update on that one since like September of last year so I'm sadly thinking it might not happen...

I just ordered a Color Mechanica Sega CD as you can still order it from Note!'s bandcamp page it would seem.

Finally, I thought I would let you know that Nathan Stanley (Freezedream) did officially release the final rom version for his Today album. And you can find the link to his dropbox where it is hosted on his YT video of the album here:

https://youtu.be/CjAtp9b66Iw

Oh I forgot one that you didn't have listed that I do own:

Blowfish - composed by JRedd and programmed by Sigflup. She actually made me the cart herself when I contacted her about it at least a year ago and gave her a donation for her time to put it together for me. Not sure if Sigflup is still making them or willing to do so, but I did manage to get one and feel quite honored to have it as it and the Daydream demo were really my first intro into the chiptune scene of the Genesis and...well a year later here we are?! LOL
    Last edited by CrossBow; 07-15-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Chaos Fusion's Avatar

So is this a limited stock kind of deal where it is first come first serve or will it be based on how many preorders by a certain date? Am definitely interested despite the price.
    Edit: Alright, last run seemed to be the latter so the question now is when do preorders close. Just to put some cash aside for it.

I read orders ship end of August, so Iím assuming you have a couple weeks. I chose not to take that risk this time lol

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Chaos Fusion's Avatar

And Fair enough. Just ordered mine. Might as well own at least one music cart

Itís really the only one available currently in physical form. Iíll happily support it too, looking forward to the artists contributing to future game releases

I happen to know based on an actual FB post from Catskull yesterday, that this second run is limited to 50 carts. There will NOT be anymore made after that. These carts will be a tad different as they will have black PCBs in them as opposed to light blue ones in the 1st run. Also as an owner of one of these carts, I can tell you that the label on it is much more faint than the mockup shown in the pics. So the LEDs are really not obscured when in action.

Hopefully this 2nd batch also has the fixed ROM that is compatible with PAL systems and also fixes the VU meter shutting down 2min into Sunset Beach Galaxy. The VU issue I actually only noticed when I watched my video playback of the entire album later through my Genesis. However, that issue was only present in that one song and the VU would start back up and run normally for the remaining songs.

Thread Information