Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Foundry plays through the entire 32X library (Part 1 of 2); fascinating!

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    You're not gonna like Flashback, Out of this World or Prince of Persia (does that count?) on 16-bit consoles if you don't like Blackthorne.
    I love those games, as well as Abe's Oddysee. That's exactly why I hate Blackthorne: I think it's a shitty version of that kind of game.

Raging in the Streets

Blackthorne is honestly pretty meh, Flashback I kinda like but it's got some janky ass controls at some point.

The Oddworld games really are the pinnacle of cinematic platform games

Yeah, when I went back and played Flashback recently, it fell short of my memories. That said I only played for a little while, not long enough to fully re-engage with the game (which I beat back in the 1990s).

Prince of Persia and Out of This World are two of my all-time favorite games, though; OOTW is probably in my all-time top 20, maybe top 10. (That made Heart of the Alien a big disappointment.)

I really liked Abe's Oddysee until I got stuck in an area where either I was missing a checkpoint, or I was expected to do an absurdly large number of things in a row and perfectly. Up to that point I absolutely loved the game -- its style, its puzzles, its whole approach -- and I keep meaning to go back to it.

Heart of Darkness is another one I own and keep meaning to play. I spent 20-30 minutes with it when I first got it, and was definitely intrigued.

The DF video makes it sound like Blackthorne is a better experience on the SNES. I'll try that at some point, but I imagine the shallowness of the stage design will still be just as present.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    The DF video makes it sound like Blackthorne is a better experience on the SNES.
    Which is really, really mind-boggling IMO.

The part where he talks about the graphics is really stupid. He praises a lot the original design of the characters - which isn't all that great to begin with - and then trashes the 32X pre-rendered ones just for the sake of being pre-rendered.

Heck, I'm also not the biggest fan of pre-rendered graphics but what he says is just the opposite of what his own capture shows.
    The pre-rendered version of the characters is, overall, superior. Not only it completely outclasses the original in terms of volume and lighting (which is pre-rendered technique biggest advantage IMO) but it also has better definition and far more consistent transition frames from one stance to another.

The SNES big guards (especially the one with the whip) also have that shit of animating parts of the body at each time instead of the whole thing like it should be - gimme a break with that clumsy crap.

The background and foreground graphics have far better coloring making it easier to distinguish the details.

The music and sfx are also of superior quality on the 32X.

Trash the game as much as you want, but to thrash it on a technical level while praising the SNES version is just ridiculous and totally inaccurate IMO.

Very interesting, Barone -- I'll have to check it out for myself and see what I think, including the SNES music vs. the 32X's. Too bad the music in the last area of the 32X version goes haywire/glitches out after a while.

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

I also feel like he didn't give Tempo enough credit in terms of the use it was making of the hardware.

The backgrounds, as trippy/nonsense/stupid as you can consider them, were IMO properly designed for a non-tile-based video system as the 32X had and unlike most of its titles.
    Mostly for that reason, I really doubt you would be able to port that game without major graphical cuts/changes to the MD (even with the aid of the MCD), PCE (even with all its expansions), SNES or even the X68000. Heck, I don't think the 3DO could handle it even at 30 fps to be very honest.

IMO the developers did a good job there playing to the strengths of each hardware architecture and also to the fact that they could render parts of the game screen independently thanks to the awkward 32X + MD setup.

Rebel Pizza Raging in the Streets Thief's Avatar

I don't know, the SNES version of Blackthornes sprite graphics look better to me. So that will be the version I play first when I finally get to this game one of these days. ... I still remember that kick butt EGM cover on it from back in the day.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I never thought of the 32x as a new console generation after the Genesis. I always thought it was a ploy to compete with the SNES so Sega could boast about better graphics and sounds. I knew it was bridge to something new until Sega was able to develop whatever that new thing was. What I thought killed it was Sega wanted ~ $160 at launch with no game. I waited until it died and got mine for $40 with games costing $2-$5 each.

Thread Information