Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Foundry plays through the entire 32X library (Part 1 of 2); fascinating!

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    You're not gonna like Flashback, Out of this World or Prince of Persia (does that count?) on 16-bit consoles if you don't like Blackthorne.
    I love those games, as well as Abe's Oddysee. That's exactly why I hate Blackthorne: I think it's a shitty version of that kind of game.

Teen Idle Raging in the Streets Gogogadget's Avatar

Blackthorne is honestly pretty meh, Flashback I kinda like but it's got some janky ass controls at some point.

The Oddworld games really are the pinnacle of cinematic platform games

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Yeah, when I went back and played Flashback recently, it fell short of my memories. That said I only played for a little while, not long enough to fully re-engage with the game (which I beat back in the 1990s).

Prince of Persia and Out of This World are two of my all-time favorite games, though; OOTW is probably in my all-time top 20, maybe top 10. (That made Heart of the Alien a big disappointment.)

I really liked Abe's Oddysee until I got stuck in an area where either I was missing a checkpoint, or I was expected to do an absurdly large number of things in a row and perfectly. Up to that point I absolutely loved the game -- its style, its puzzles, its whole approach -- and I keep meaning to go back to it.

Heart of Darkness is another one I own and keep meaning to play. I spent 20-30 minutes with it when I first got it, and was definitely intrigued.

The DF video makes it sound like Blackthorne is a better experience on the SNES. I'll try that at some point, but I imagine the shallowness of the stage design will still be just as present.

Thread Information