Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Dreamcast Image Quality

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

Dc Best Dreamcast Image Quality

since i have decided to get back in to the dreamcast after foolishly selling it off 2 years ago
    im looking in to the best way of getting the best picture quality on a hd tv for my dreamcast

currently i use the standard av cables and these off course wont do
    so what is the best to use ?
    a vga box ?
    rgb cable ?
    an hdmi upscaler ?

anything else ?
    Kitsune in a hat

VGA if your HDTV has a PC input port to take it would be the best cheapest method. My TV doesn't have a VGA or DVI input port so I went with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And also some cheap female to female gender changers. I notice no lag in this setup as there isn't any upscaling taking place and it looks fantastic. For those games that don't support the VGA, I just plug my s-video cable into the DC and that in turn goes through an s-video to hdmi adapter.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Toro box from Behar Bros is what I use. Coupled with a Framemeister it looks nice. The OSSC works well too, but I have yet to try that option.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de

There's a lot (really, a lot) of good info above.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    VGA if your HDTV has a PC input port to take it would be the best cheapest method. My TV doesn't have a VGA or DVI input port so I went with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And also some cheap female to female gender changers. I notice no lag in this setup as there isn't any upscaling taking place and it looks fantastic. For those games that don't support the VGA, I just plug my s-video cable into the DC and that in turn goes through an s-video to hdmi adapter.
    my hd tv which is getting on a bit has a vga port so i will most likely look in to a vga box
    Kitsune in a hat

Nameless One

I use the OSSC with a SCART cable for pure RGB in 576p (deinterlaced or line doubled), and a monitor set to 75Hz for content in 25 frames per second, but I try to enjoy games in PAL 60Hz more often than not. I only free the OSSC from the Dreamcast with the VGA Box when I want to connect the PS2 with a close setup.
    When a man clings to technique he dehumanizes himself, and so inhuman he has turned that others were enslaved,
    because when serving technique they lack the freedom to think, and thought is the only way to find the reason why.

Master of Shinobi Hidden_Darkness's Avatar

The only problem with vga through a Dreamcast is that there are a few games that won't work through vga, not very many but look up a list online to see if the games you want to play are compatible.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

In the past, I've just used the VGA box I bought bitd on hdtvs, but I'd probably need an adaptor or something now. It did look amazing though.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    since i have decided to get back in to the dreamcast after foolishly selling it off 2 years ago
    im looking in to the best way of getting the best picture quality on a hd tv for my dreamcast
    I use those Retro-Bit DC VGA cables. I'm sure you can get them from, let's say, Amazon.

I mostly use the DC now on a 21" PC CRT monitor. Over here those are mostly given away for nothing nowadays. The visuals are really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again, like the Jews re-establish their Israeli, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

For those non VGA games there is a toggle switch on the Toro. I use it when running a SCART cable out of it, I'm not sure if it works via the DSUB port or not...

https://www.beharbros.com/akura

Akura is coming soon, outputs directly to HDMI.

http://www.hdretrovision.com/development/

HD Retrovision are also developing a component cable.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 08-04-2017 at 01:36 PM.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Impressive on both fronts.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

I seriously need to upgrade. I'm still using s-video.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The VGA box looked fine on my old VGA monitor, but it wasn't all that great on my PC's 1080p LCD. I much prefer using my Dreamcast on an HD-CRT with S-Video.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I seriously need to upgrade. I'm still using s-video.
    S-Video has pretty solid output quality in my opinion. You may loose some visual benefits on the VGA enabled stuff, but it also means you don't have to worry about which games may/may not work with VGA.

I will mention I have seen others have issues with the DC to VGA cables compared to the ones that are boxes with outputs on them. YMMV as with everything though.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

As I stated above my current VGA setup works really well for the games I play. Bangai-O is the only game I have in my collection that I simply cannot get to work on VGA no matter what. I can trick it, but then the actual graphics will be all corrupted on the screen making the game completely unplayable. I have looked at getting one of the Toro boxes so that I could effectively have s-video and VGA connected and switch between them as needed. But getting the video out side to work in my AV setup would be a nightmare and a cable somewhere would have to be unplugged and plugged back in to swap. I really like the Akura and it is available to be ordered now. But in looking at it, it pretty much just switches the VGA down still requiring you to flip a switch to trick the games. That would mean the switch is only faking the lower res connection to the DC when powering up. So games like Bangai-O still wouldn't work with the Akura. Shame as I like the idea of running straight to the HDMI without having an adapter in the mix.

Thread Information