Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I reviewed Gynoug / Wings of Wor for the Sega Genesis

Rebel Pizza Raging in the Streets Thief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Axelay still stands as one of the best Super NES STGs, even with those horrible 'belt conveyor' stages. It's a similar case to Contra III, but the side-scrolling action on both cases definitely makes up for it ( much more in Contra's case than Axelay's, mind you ).
    I don't know why, by Axelay still isn't clicking with me. I don't know why, as I generally love Konami shooters. And to top it off, I prefer the belt conveyor stages more.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    I don't know why, by Axelay still isn't clicking with me. I don't know why, as I generally love Konami shooters. And to top it off, I prefer the belt conveyor stages more.
    That's perfectly understandable and it happens to me as well. I've wrote about it before on how it took me some time to truly appreciate and really get into Truxton/Tatsujin, which is a great shooter and one of the best of it's time.

There are plenty of solid STGs that, for varied reasons, doesn't click with me as well, such as the Tohou series, Raiden I & II, Twinbee, Dragon Saber/Spirit, Pheilos etc.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

That's perfectly understandable and it happens to me as well. I've wrote about it before on how it took me some time to truly appreciate and really get into Truxton/Tatsujin, which is a great shooter and one of the best of it's time.
    Yep, it's awesome. Played the game on and off since the early nineties and it still kicks my arse.

There are plenty of solid STGs that, for varied reasons, doesn't click with me as well, such as the Tohou series, Raiden I & II, Twinbee, Dragon Saber/Spirit, Pheilos etc.
    Phelios is on the crappy side of dead average anyway IMO. Too much inconsequential repetition in the level design with the same guys filing out to really get the blood pumping. Touhou I can understand, I prefer other modern danmaku by a large margin. I don't have a problem with the magical girl aesthetic, but the way it's presented in the series puts me off big time with it's shitty artwork, music etc.

As far as Raiden goes, I like the core series - with DX being my fave - but it's Raiden Fighters that gets my vote I think. I know some people aren't a fan of the slow ship speed in the original games though.

PS now practicing Gynoug stages 4 & 5 with the convenient level select, certainly the level design gets more interesting here. I had less trouble with level 4 than I did 3, so either there's a rank system in place or I'm just getting better.
    Last edited by OverDrone; 08-17-2017 at 04:18 AM.

Yikes! Sorry for the late reply everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Nice, I like your enthusiastic style. Also enjoyed the new Intro, did you make it yourself? If so you should be making your own games bro.
    Thank you, I'm glad you like my video style!
    I didn't do the intro though. Both the themesong and the intro were done by others, I have their names and contacts on every video description though! I'd link you to them, but I'm at work right now and can't access youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by wedeservedit View Post
    Great work dude. Really enjoyed your golden axe video, hilarious
    Thank you! I'm actually planning on doing a sequel to that video soon. As it turns out, there's other games out there that allow for similar stuff.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Great review for a overlooked gem of a game. Forget the likes of ThunderForce III or Axelay this was by far and away a better shooter imo. Fab graphics, ace gameplay and a pumping soundtrack (which all good shooters need). One of my fav games of all time
    On aesthetiscs alone I kinda understand you preferring Gynoug over TF3 or Axelay, since these three games have great design assets.

There's one aspect though that chipped away a bit of my appreciation for Gynoug.
    Recently I found out its scoring system is broken, and precisely as I was trying to improve my high score.

I'll watch your review later, stika!

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    On aesthetiscs alone I kinda understand you preferring Gynoug over TF3 or Axelay, since these three games have great design assets.

There's one aspect though that chipped away a bit of my appreciation for Gynoug.
    Recently I found out its scoring system is broken, and precisely as I was trying to improve my high score.

I'll watch your review later, stika!
    If you do, I hope you'll enjoy it!

How is the scoring system broken though? I never noticed.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Yep, it's awesome. Played the game on and off since the early nineties and it still kicks my arse.
    That last stage is also a beast. It's a great pleasure to be able to take on a challenge like that.

Touhou I can understand, I prefer other modern danmaku by a large margin. I don't have a problem with the magical girl aesthetic, but the way it's presented in the series puts me off big time with it's shitty artwork, music etc.
    I feel pretty much the same way. Something similar happens with Deathsmiles - aside from being obviously a much higher quality game and incredible accessible as far as danmaku STGs go - with it's 'loli gothic girls', which is a real kick in the nuts for me.

As far as Raiden goes, I like the core series - with DX being my fave - but it's Raiden Fighters that gets my vote I think. I know some people aren't a fan of the slow ship speed in the original games though.
    Yeah, ship speed within the context of the game, along with the difference between 1 & 2 player horizontal and diagonal speed is something I struggle with, along with other design choices.
    I'm really turned on about DX though, as strange as that might sound. I think that is a great improvement over the first 2 games and the definitive 'classic' Raiden. I just need a goddamn decent d-pad to properly play it on the Playstation.

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    How is the scoring system broken though? I never noticed.
    It's right at the cock boss

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    It's right at the cock boss

Oh lol. I never knew that!

Thread Information