Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I reviewed Gynoug / Wings of Wor for the Sega Genesis

Default I reviewed Gynoug / Wings of Wor for the Sega Genesis

Hi everyone,

I have a YouTube channel dedicated to retro gaming and this week I reviewed the awesome Shmup, Gynoug / Wings of Wor. This game was created by the same studio behind the awesomely weird Cho Aniki games.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the video!

Please check out my YouTube channel

Good job! Also, I really like your flashy purple pixel art intro with Space Harrier, Streets of Rage II, Contra: Hard Corps and Phantasy Star IV.

I also enjoyed the review. And yeah, that pixel art intro is really amazing!
    Sega Dude

Visit me @ Retro Megabit

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Good job! Also, I really like your flashy purple pixel art intro with Space Harrier, Streets of Rage II, Contra: Hard Corps and Phantasy Star IV.
    Thank you! It's a new intro but I'm really happy with it. The channel's themesong is inspired on After Burner too ^^

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    I also enjoyed the review. And yeah, that pixel art intro is really amazing!
    Thank you!

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Good timing on the review, I just picked up a few new JP shooters and Gynoug is one of them.

Agreed the game almost reaches proto bullet-hell with some of the patterns, Steel Empire is another that throws a ton of projectiles your way. I feel the levels drag on a bit too long and could stand to be cut a bit shorter (some formations repeat a bit too much), but that's a common thing with horis of the time.

There's some graphical sterility in a few of the backgrounds, whereas others are very impressive, particularly the last couple of levels. Masaya's Gley Lancer also suffers from this.

TBH I'm not sure how the penis boss got through Sega's approval process, but I guess I'm glad he's there

Good review Stika.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Good timing on the review, I just picked up a few new JP shooters and Gynoug is one of them.

Agreed the game almost reaches proto bullet-hell with some of the patterns, Steel Empire is another that throws a ton of projectiles your way. I feel the levels drag on a bit too long and could stand to be cut a bit shorter (some formations repeat a bit too much), but that's a common thing with horis of the time.

There's some graphical sterility in a few of the backgrounds, whereas others are very impressive, particularly the last couple of levels. Masaya's Gley Lancer also suffers from this.

TBH I'm not sure how the penis boss got through Sega's approval process, but I guess I'm glad he's there

Good review Stika.
    Yeah I remember the third level had a really boring background and repeated the same patterns two or three times, but I didn't care because I loved the music and the game in general! :P

And thank you! I'm glad you liked the video!

Mega Driven Master of Shinobi cleeg's Avatar

Nice, I like your enthusiastic style. Also enjoyed the new Intro, did you make it yourself? If so you should be making your own games bro.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Great work dude. Really enjoyed your golden axe video, hilarious

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a YouTube channel dedicated to retro gaming and this week I reviewed the awesome Shmup, Gynoug / Wings of Wor. This game was created by the same studio behind the awesomely weird Cho Aniki games.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the video!

Great review for a overlooked gem of a game. Forget the likes of ThunderForce III or Axelay this was by far and away a better shooter imo. Fab graphics, ace gameplay and a pumping soundtrack (which all good shooters need). One of my fav games of all time
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

-----------(A)----------- Master of Shinobi Bottino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Great review for a overlooked gem of a game. Forget the likes of ThunderForce III or Axelay this was by far and away a better shooter imo.
    What exactly makes Gynoug superior to those other games?

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    What exactly makes Gynoug superior to those other games?
    Better bullet patterns, better boss battles win it for me and I thought the music in TF III sucked (not good in a shooter). So I Never liked Thunder Force III at all (I much prefer the 2nd game, never mind the incredible TF IV ) and Axelay is like RSG on the Saturn; fab game to show off the hardware, a ndgreat showcase game with a fantastic music score, but where they were far better shooters out on either system
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I can't comment on Axelay because I still haven't given it a fair shake, but I think Gynoug sits comfortably alongside TFIII in solid 'B' territory as far as MD shooters go (so far - haven't quite cleared it yet). There's a few too many 'gotcha' cheap moments in TFIII, inherited from II where it's even worse (remember the lasers on the ceiling you can't see till you scroll up? they will kill you anyway, whether you see them or not). Obviously once the stages are memorised these bits become trivial, but it's not a trait I consider good design. Technosoft thought so too since Thunder Force IV is better again in this regard.

I think Gynoug stages drag on for too long, but the special weapon powers add some nice depth to the game as a point in it's favour. I agree with TA the boss battles are better than TFIII here as well (except for the first boss, obviously). Of course the theme adds a lot to the experience as well. It's also tougher than I thought it would be.

-----------(A)----------- Master of Shinobi Bottino's Avatar

Yes, the boss battles in TFIII can be considered the weak point of the game, but it's overall level design and pacing are top-notch; it wasn't just a coincidence that after it's release several games attempted to copy or draw inspiration from the game.

Like Overdrone said, there are parts of Gynoug in which the stages drag for too long, which not only shows an inspired level design but also results in some dull moments. Actually, this happens the most on the first part of the game; the second half is where the game truly shines. The designers really saved the best for last and that reflects, in my view, on that 'weak' first half.

So, the second half of Gynoug can go toe-to-toe with Thunder Force III; the first half doesn't qualify for the challenge in my book.

I thought the music in TF III sucked (not good in a shooter).
    Easy now, let's not lose our heads here.

Axelay is like RSG on the Saturn; fab game to show off the hardware, a ndgreat showcase game with a fantastic music score, but where they were far better shooters out on either system
    Axelay still stands as one of the best Super NES STGs, even with those horrible 'belt conveyor' stages. It's a similar case to Contra III, but the side-scrolling action on both cases definitely makes up for it ( much more in Contra's case than Axelay's, mind you ).

Great review for a overlooked gem of a game. Forget the likes of ThunderForce III or Axelay this was by far and away a better shooter imo. Fab graphics, ace gameplay and a pumping soundtrack (which all good shooters need). One of my fav games of all time
    I wouldn't say Gynoug has a 'pumping' soundtrack exactly. I find it's a bit too upbeat for the subject matter a lot of the time in fact. TFIV, Zero Wing, Crying, Fire Shark, Vapor Trail, Dangerous Seed and even Tatsujiin (with it's bugged tempo that plays the music too fast) are all better IMO. But I guess this side of things is very subjective anyway.

I hear Musha Aleste getting a lot of praise for it's OST as well, and that's another shooter I'd say is a bit overrated in this department (as well as a few other departments)

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    I wouldn't say Gynoug has a 'pumping' soundtrack exactly. I find it's a bit too upbeat for the subject matter a lot of the time in fact. TFIV, Zero Wing, Crying, Fire Shark, Vapor Trail, Dangerous Seed and even Tatsujiin (with it's bugged tempo that plays the music too fast) are all better IMO. But I guess this side of things is very subjective anyway.

I hear Musha Aleste getting a lot of praise for it's OST as well, and that's another shooter I'd say is a bit overrated in this department (as well as a few other departments)
    I love Tatsuin too. Music is very subjective I agree. I mean, I love Battle Squadron on the Mega Dive, think not only is it a fab shooter, but also comes with a stunning soundtrack . I also love Aero Blasters on the MD and think that got a brill music score, but it seems to get no love
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information