Quantcast

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic Mania FMV Intro on Sega Genesis / Mega Drive

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Would love to see someone record this on real hardware
    Captured from my genesis through my camcorder. Audio isn't as clean as it is when I capture it straight off the genesis into my sound card. The camcorder's recording features reduces the audio on bass heavy tones and I've not found a way to prevent that. On my Genesis I never found a sweet spot on the playback. So it took 3 runs with each run ending with the music at different times. This last run I had it at 90 starting off, then reduce it to 86 about 1/3 way through to get it to match as close as I can.

https://youtu.be/xMD2T_nyujw

Amazing stuff, really.

Silly question, could it be possible to clean up frames by hand to avoid some very sparse inconsistencies here and there?

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr apocalipsis View Post
    Amazing stuff, really.

Silly question, could it be possible to clean up frames by hand to avoid some very sparse inconsistencies here and there?
    Nope not really because it's rescomp that's making the decisions upon converting the images to tiles may be Stef could help?

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Captured from my genesis through my camcorder. Audio isn't as clean as it is when I capture it straight off the genesis into my sound card. The camcorder's recording features reduces the audio on bass heavy tones and I've not found a way to prevent that. On my Genesis I never found a sweet spot on the playback. So it took 3 runs with each run ending with the music at different times. This last run I had it at 90 starting off, then reduce it to 86 about 1/3 way through to get it to match as close as I can.

https://youtu.be/xMD2T_nyujw
    Thanks for this. Very interesting! the music does sound off on real hardware. PCM wise anyway! Something I'll have to ask about.

Quote Originally Posted by dr apocalipsis View Post
    Amazing stuff, really.

If I wrote a script to reduce the images to genesis colours before passing them through rescomp we might find the inconsistencies go. I'd have to write a script to do that process though.

Puzzle Bobbler Wildside Expert smokemonster's Avatar

Here's how it plays on a Nomad:

LCD Modded Nomad with Nomad audio. I put an aftermarket speaker in my Nomad so it's little louder than stock, but get an idea of how it plays on real hardware.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

This seems a bit similar to the Gameboy Color demo that converted the Pokemon anime intro.

If you reduced the resolution to say 16x12 tiles, it would fit in one frame's DMA budget and be able to run at 60fps. Though maybe there's not enough space for that.

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    This seems a bit similar to the Gameboy Color demo that converted the Pokemon anime intro.

If you reduced the resolution to say 16x12 tiles, it would fit in one frame's DMA budget and be able to run at 60fps. Though maybe there's not enough space for that.
    Definitely not enough space for 60 frames. This video is reduced to 7 frames per second and it was pretty close to the line I do like the idea of using 16x12 (128x96) to max out the DMA budget. The lower resolution might suit the low colour depth too.

Thanks for the HW uploads guys, it seems the DAC problems happen there as well. What the music should sound like (deflemask to wav export): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWa0xW3bvSA
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Puzzle Bobbler Wildside Expert smokemonster's Avatar

Wow, there is quite a difference. It's an awesome tune, Alianger

I'll update my video if matteus puts a new version out with fixed music. It just occurred to me that I could have just captured audio directly from the headphone jack instead of using a mic. That will make a nice improvement next time too.

OPN2 in DNA Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Peeteris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger View Post
    Thanks for the HW uploads guys, it seems the DAC problems happen there as well. What the music should sound like (deflemask to wav export): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWa0xW3bvSA
    Instrumentation There is way better than when played on hardware.
    On hardware it sounds like the reason why people trashtalk about Genesis audio hardware minus farts.

And my va2 is modified with a separate ym3438 piggy backed onto the original 2612. The audio was captured directly from the RCA outputs I added sometime back directly into the MIC input of my camcorder. But again the camcorder does auto normalization of the audio so it clips where it shouldn't...etc. I will see if I can capture it directly into my sound card as my other genesis audio rips I've done previously. Not sure it will sound that much different but it would be more true to what I hear that way.

Update - Here it is in raw 96khz 24bit wave.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j52feqbxev...intro.wav?dl=0

The cymbals are the most obvious part. It also sounds like the audio has tempo issues during playback as it seems to slow down early on in the run. But the stereo is separation is much better through HW than emulation it seems. Could also be my 3438 that does it as well.
    Last edited by CrossBow; 08-19-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Updated information

3438 in va2?
    Why?

Ew.

Interesting. Stereo separation might be a little better, but the panned instruments are like 5-10 steps louder as well, while the higher frequencies are much lower overall which kinda ruins the dynamics unless you take that specific setup into consideration when composing/producing. Listening to the vgm in the Rymcast player, the levels are mostly the same.
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

At least on original HW (though it's va6.5 Mega Drive modded to 60Hz) I can't get in sync video with audio no matter what.
    87 - too slow, at the end audio starts to repeat
    86 - too fast, audio cuts out at the end.

Ironically your video looks better on MD than on Mega CD.
    When StoneBanana uploaded video of Mania intro running on Sega CD, I felt that it could be done better than that, but this pushes Mega Drive/Genny for sure.
    Last edited by Peeteris; 08-19-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Thread Information