Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BoTTleD - tower defense demo

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Default BoTTleD - tower defense demo

I felt like tower defending, and what do you know, there were none on Gen

This level is fairly easy, can you beat it? No proper end condition yet, the enemies just stop as there's only one level.

https://a.pomf.cat/uauxns.gz

I'd reupload that as a ZIP since I don't think many people can open GZ files (I can since I'm on Linux, but I don't think many people on Windows are using something that can open it).

To those on Windows who want to open that file: get 7zip (・<・)

EDIT: I think I won the game because it just stopped sending enemies

Also putting a cannon at the beginning makes the rest of it a breeze. That thing alone can easily cope with several of the initial waves.
    Last edited by Sik; 09-13-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Master of Shinobi

what an awesome homebrew out of nowhere? Also why almost 32 MEGA POWER ? Is it because of Shakira?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Most emulators support gz-compressed ROMs straight up, without needing to unpack. And yeah, the cannon is totally overpowered right now.

The music takes almost 3mb yeah. These instrumental versions could be done via FM too, but none of the midi converters work, and I CBA to manually put them in via a tracker.

Gens and Fusion just crash on Windows 10 for me :/. I should play this on my Everdrive later.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Awesome!

I've always wondered how well a tower defense would work the the Genesis. I imagine you would hit the sprite limit after a while though, and not be able to have masses of enemies and projectiles at once like with a lot of tower defense games.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Most emulators support gz-compressed ROMs straight up, without needing to unpack.
    Just checked. Fusion can't open it, Regen outright crashed. Sure you aren't thinking on ZIP? =P

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Gens and Fusion just crash on Windows 10 for me :/. I should play this on my Everdrive later.
    Install 32-bit DirectX manually. It isn't installed by default anymore on 64-bit Windows (hasn't been since 8).

Death Adder's minion

Genesis

Oh my god. This is so great. I always want to have a tower defense game on my favorit sega console. And now here is a great demo of such a game. I hope you can finish this to a full game

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Install 32-bit DirectX manually. It isn't installed by default anymore on 64-bit Windows (hasn't been since 8).
    Thanks for the tip! Do you happen to know a good site with downloads? I can't seem to find anything compatible with Win 10 (only 8 and 7) and the one I found didn't work at all :/.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thanks for the tip! Do you happen to know a good site with downloads? I can't seem to find anything compatible with Win 10 (only 8 and 7) and the one I found didn't work at all :/.
    There's this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35

I'm not sure if that works, I've been in Linux-land since 2010 =P Probably an easier way is to install a 32-bit game that installs DirectX (the problem with emulators is that they assume it's already there). If that doesn't solve it, then no idea. Old unmaintained software that isn't kept up to date to prevent breaking in newer systems is a pain in the ass =/

Hero of Algol

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 are pure raw unfiltered cancer. I really don't know why anyone in the world would accept to install that shit.
    I'm using Windows 7 and laughing at people in the office for years already.

Road Rasher

Nice job on the demo!

BlastEm runs fine on Windows 10 and also runs this little demo fine

Master of Shinobi

there are runtime add-ons on ryanvm's site but any 32-bit directx pack will do (even XPs). it is the same for all those systems. 8.1 is the fastest OS in ages. 10 is not that bad at all once you trim it.

Anyway is this a port or a straight homebrew? How are we on the slowdown side? I didn't had the time to test it much.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Just checked. Fusion can't open it, Regen outright crashed. Sure you aren't thinking on ZIP? =P
    I'm sure. But I'm also in Linuxland, perhaps it's the convention in Linux emulators. Most NES and GB/GBA emulators I've used support it too.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled
    Anyway is this a port or a straight homebrew? How are we on the slowdown side? I didn't had the time to test it much.
    It's fully original, but I admit I've played more than a bit of Bloons TD.

There is no slowdown with normal amounts of units and towers, but it does drop to 30fps in really heavy situations.

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    I'm sure. But I'm also in Linuxland, perhaps it's the convention in Linux emulators. Most NES and GB/GBA emulators I've used support it too.
    The Linux version of Fusion can't open it either, and BlastEm outright doesn't support compressed archives yet.

...it seems that mednafen is the one that can handle it. Huh.

By the way, ever thought of implementing the speed setting like in Defender Quest? When I was playing the demo I found myself cranking it up while I had to wait while slowing down (or freezing) when I had to do lots of commands at once. Note that it also lets you immediately toggle between running and frozen with a button press.

Thread Information